Women 5'6-5'8 165-185 lbs., What Size are you?

Options
Cats2626
Cats2626 Posts: 27 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm curious. So I have lost weight before. I am 5'7" and at my very biggest I was about 230 pounds and a size 16/18 (16's were a little tight, 18's a little loose). I was very young then. I starved myself for about a year and a half and got down to 165 pounds and a size 8. I don't know how I only lost 65 pounds in a year and a half, but whatever. Well I stopped, and stayed about that weight for awhile surprisingly, but recently I gained back some weight. I now weigh about 180 at 5'7" and am a size 8/10 (all of my clothes from 15 pounds ago still fit except for one pair of jeans I am determined to get back into. They're a 7). I am usually still a size 8. However, when I look online at women of similar height and weight to me, they are usually a size 10-14. None of them are 8's. I find this very confusing, because I don't get how I'm in a single digit size at such a high weight. So, women who are 5'6-5'8 165-185 pounds, what size are you? Are any of you the same size/smaller than me?
I am:
5'7"
About 180 lbs (I'm guessing)
Size 7/8, sometimes 9/10 pants
Size Medium shirts/dresses/skirts/shorts, etc.
Size 32/34 A bra (depending on brand and type. I have no boobs)

Yeah. Sorry for the long pointless rant. I just don't understand how women of my same height and weight are bigger sizes than me. I am going on a diet (a healthy one). I have been a vegetarian for nearly two years. I want to be at the very least a size 2/4 (really want to be a 0, but don't know if I can), but I'm not sure how much I'd have to weigh for that.

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think clothing brand sizing has changed dramatically. I remember wearing a size 7 in juniors weighing 130. My recent shopping visit put me in that same size at 155. Same brand same style number.

I also believe shapes provide different sizing. It depends how your weight is distributed.

Jrs. sizing is a lot different then misses by a long shot as well.

I am not going to set a size as a goal. It doesn't define me (not that I think it does you.)

Sizing doesn't matter to me, really. Healthy fit and lean matters more to me.

• Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and I currently weigh 181 and wearing a size 12 and most 10 (I have a big bitt...lol) My normal weight is 165 or so (pre pregnancy ) which was a size 8 and some 10's. My gw is 55 and uh is 150. Mostly medium shirts...I am still breastfeeding so my boobs haven't gone down to its natural size which is a 36c.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5" and at 165 I was an 8/10 and looked great.

The difference is due to frame size and body composition.
  • Cats2626
    Options
    i would guess 120

you don't have a scale you can weigh yourself on daily?
    did you know there are studies that show that those that weigh themselves daily tend to weigh less?
    walmart road trip - cost $14 for a scale
    * lose weight slowly - that way you learn how to eat healthy for life

I don't own a scale for a specific reason. Back when I starved myself it controlled my entire life and all I wanted was to be skinny. Now I don't weigh myself because I never met my goal before, and I feel terrible about myself. Weighing myself makes me feel worse. Thank you very much for your reply, though. :)
  • callmeAl19
    callmeAl19 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm only 5'5'', but I'm 174 right now and in a size 12 in most brands. I can squeeze into some 10's, but typically only if the pants are a stretchier material. I was in 10's getting down to 8's when I was about 155, years ago.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 but not within the range of weight you said. I am currently 199ish (I haven't weighed for a while so I may be less) and am almost at size 16. My thighs are still a bit too big to fit but my waist can, go figure! I really think size depends a lot on the way weight is carried on a body. Some people carry more around their hips which would make their size larger even if they weighed the same as someone else. Generally speaking, I would go by inches rather than weight since there are so many variations.

As far as your eventual goals, focus on being healthy not necessarily the size you want to be. Otherwise, you may end up killing yourself mentally/physically making your journey not lasting for the long term. Too many people have unrealistic expectations of what they want to look like (myself included) but the end goal we all should have is to be healthy. I used to want to be around 120 pounds but I would be a beanpole if I weighed that. Instead, I'm shooting for around 150 and then will reevaluate from there. I want this to be sustainable. Best wishes to you as you continue your journey towards health! :smile:
  • Cats2626
    Options
    I think clothing brand sizing has changed dramatically over the years. I remember wearing a size 7 in juniors weighing 130. My recent shopping visit put me in that same size at 155. Same brand same style number.

I also believe shapes provide different sizing. It depends how your weight is distributed.

Jrs. sizing is a lot different then misses by a long shot as well. I am not going to set a size as a goal. It doesn't define me (not that I think it does you.)

Sizing doesn't matter to me, really. Healthy and fit and lean matters more to me.

Thank you for your reply. I like what you said about how a size doesnt define you. And yes, I am aware that juniors sizing is different. However, some brands are more similar to women's sizing than others. Those are the ones I wear. I even have a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans that say 7/8 on the tag and they fit like women's. I know what you mean though. In one juniors brand I'm a size 11, which is bigger than any of my other clothes. I wish sizing didn't matter to me, but for some reason I'm just obsessed with the numbers.

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and am wearing size 12 jeans right now. It does vary wildly by brand and shape though. I've never been below 8 even at 145.
  • Cats2626
    Options
    FatSwatter wrote: »
    I am 5'6 but not within the range of weight you said. I am currently 199ish (I haven't weighed for a while so I may be less) and am almost at size 16. My thighs are still a bit too big to fit but my waist can, go figure! I really think size depends a lot on the way weight is carried on a body. Some people carry more around their hips which would make their size larger even if they weighed the same as someone else. Generally speaking, I would go by inches rather than weight since there are so many variations.

As far as your eventual goals, focus on being healthy not necessarily the size you want to be. Otherwise, you may end up killing yourself mentally/physically making your journey not lasting for the long term. Too many people have unrealistic expectations of what they want to look like (myself included) but the end goal we all should have is to be healthy. I used to want to be around 120 pounds but I would be a beanpole if I weighed that. Instead, I'm shooting for around 150 and then will reevaluate from there. I want this to be sustainable. Best wishes to you as you continue your journey towards health! :smile:
    Thank you very much. :) I am trying to focus less on size. I know deep down that it is not a good indicator of health or anything, and it varies a lot by brand. I own a pair of jeans that is a size 4, and a size 6, and there is NO WAY I am a 4 or even a 6.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    5'8", 152 as of this morning, mostly size 10s. I could put on an 8, but it would be tight. I don't wear my clothes tight, generally.

It differs by body size and how tight a fit people are comfortable with. I've seen people post pics wearing clothing that I think is a size (or two) too small for them and other say No, it fits great. So, it's about what you like on that count. My "snug" might be someone else's loose. If it's clinging in any way, I'm not wearing the shirt. If a fat roll blobs over the top, I'm not wearing the shorts. If clothing that is tight "fits" then I'd be in a size 8, but I'm not wearing the 8s yet. :)
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My waist/upper mid-section is large in proportion to the rest of me. I'm 5'6", around 172 and I'm comfortably in size 12 dress pants (could probably wear a size 10 in jeans if they're low rise) and I recently needed a size 16 blazer (I wanted it to button.) My shoulders, arms, hips and legs could easily fit in an 8 - 10.
  • Cats2626
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    5'8", 152 as of this morning, mostly size 10s. I could put on an 8, but it would be tight. I don't wear my clothes tight, generally.

It differs by body size and how tight a fit people are comfortable with. I've seen people post pics wearing clothing that I think is a size (or two) too small for them and other say No, it fits great. So, it's about what you like on that count. My "snug" might be someone else's loose. If it's clinging in any way, I'm not wearing the shirt. If a fat roll blobs over the top, I'm not wearing the shorts. If clothing that is tight "fits" then I'd be in a size 8, but I'm not wearing the 8s yet. :)

I totally get what you mean. I prefer tighter clothes (but not tight like I have a muffin top, I mean tighter in the legs) so I only wear skinny jeans. I hate clingy tops though, ugh. Surprisingly, I don't have any rolls at all, on front or back. But I do get a muffin top usually if I squeeze into something that's say, a size 6. 8's don't give me a muffin top. I guess we're built differently.
  • Cats2626
    Options
    My waist/upper mid-section is large in proportion to the rest of me. I'm 5'6", around 172 and I'm comfortably in size 12 dress pants (could probably wear a size 10 in jeans if they're low rise) and I recently needed a size 16 blazer (I wanted it to button.) My shoulders, arms, hips and legs could easily fit in an 8 - 10.

Oh I know the struggle. According to most size charts, my hips are a size 4/6, my waist is a size 10, and my bust is a size 2/4. I'm not very proportionate. But most size 8's fit me nicely. Most of my pants are 8's, and all of my shirts are mediums.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Cats2626 wrote: »
    FatSwatter wrote: »

Thank you very much. :) I am trying to focus less on size. I know deep down that it is not a good indicator of health or anything, and it varies a lot by brand. I own a pair of jeans that is a size 4, and a size 6, and there is NO WAY I am a 4 or even a 6.

Sizing is a ploy for marketing. Example oh wow i fit in a size 2. Great! Im buying that pair of jeans right now!!! I wear a size 2!!

But are you in a healthy bmi range? Are you happy with how you look? That is what it comes down to.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 175 currently. And I'm anywhere from an 8 to a 12 depending on brand. Mainly 10 and 12 at this weight. When I was down to 160 for my wedding, I was wearing mainly 10 and some 8's (again, depending on brand). My wedding dress was a 10 that got taken in a bit. The brand was known to use street sizes not bridal sizes.

I'm guessing my goal of 135/140 will have me in 8 and 6, maybe a rare 4 in some brands that have gone out of control with vanity sizing?

Maybe you like your clothes tighter than other people? Or maybe you just have smaller hips? Also brands vary WILDLY depending on where you shop.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and at 165 I was a size 12 (trying to still squeeze into size 10 unsuccessfully)
    Now I'm 135 and a size 6.

I would think if you wanted to be a size 2 I am guessing you would have to weigh in the 110-120 range, which for a 5'7'' person would be very low.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6, 168, and a size large / 12, sometimesss fitting into a 10.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5", currently 155 and wear a 12 comfortably. I can wear a 10 in some brands but still maybe a little tight. Earlier this year I was around 175 and wearing 14 with maybe even a couple of 16's in there for comfort and fit. I have broad hips and a smaller waist so I think stuff that sits higher up I can get away with the smaller sizes.
  • melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm around 220 pounds and 5'8, and usually a size 16/18 (UK sizes). But even when I was 30 pounds lighter I was still around the same size, and that's down to my chest being enormous (double F, I wear sports bras instead of normal ones now) :/ So I think other proportions have a lot to do with what sizes you can fit into.