Cravings

Options
Okay, I know this may seem ignorant but maybe I am!! I am a person who LOVES sweets and I mean LOVES!!! I am eating overall very healthy and working out (not as much as I should) But I have to say I struggle BIG TIME with the sweets!!
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get past those cravings? I mean, if I know it's there, I can't seem to pass it up!! If I think I want it, it's all I can do to NOT get it. I usually get all lower fat or "reduced guilt" but really know I need to just purge this crap from my body!! I've read and been told that once you do it you won't even want it anymore. I have a friend who has done it and she eats 1/2 a cookie or even some peanut butter on a spoon and that is a treat to her! Wha What! I'm eyeing the icecream wondering how much a cup is. Funny how I'll measure and weigh everything else.
Please don't beat up on me about this....I know I just need to do it but seriously, It's like quitting smoking! It's hard....why is it so hard? That I have no stinkin' idea!
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you in advance!
Heidi

Replies

• Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    9/10 times my cravings are for sweets. Once, maybe twice a year, I crave steak. The rest of the time....you guessed it. To satisfy those cravings, I make sure I have chocolate almost every day. That way, the cravings never get completely out of control. Light Hot Chocolate almost every evening and sometimes a VitaMuffin top for snack does the trick. If I know it's coming, I can hold out and avoid worse stuff.

It ain't perfect, but neither am I. 30 years of experience dictates that denying a craving completely is just a recipe for disaster. I choose to be less than perfect instead.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just give myself a bite or two of something that i'm craving... except about 5 minutes ago at work when someone brought a few bags of mini candy bars... and twizzlers... and peanut butter m&ms... and i had a couple of EACH! i'm blaming TOM on that one!
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with sweets, too. The only thing that works for me is to go low-carb for a while. That stops the cravings. (And no artificial sweeteners with aspartame.) HOWEVER, if I have a bite--just one BITE--of a cookie, cake, etc., I'm done. And I literally can't (or won't) stop. So, I feel your pain. Like I said, low carbing it is the only thing that helps short-term for me. If you find a more permanent result, let me know please!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!! I have heard that sugar is as addictive as cocaine...I believe it! Maybe not the same withdrawal symptoms, but those cravings are AWFUL! I do know that when I have went off sugar, about 3-4 days later, the cravings subsided substantially. But I fell off that wagon, too. Now I try to focus on portions. :frown: :ohwell: :grumble:
  • kstar15
    kstar15 Posts: 2
    Options
    im the same. i luv sweets and my neighborhood is packed with bakeries but one way to curb my sweet carvings is to not buy cookies or whatnot and just keeping sweets out of the house in general. i sometimes go to a bakery if i need to satisfy my carving but after seeing how much i spend on a cupcake (i live in the nyc area) im good for the rest of the week :smile:
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day - and that generally does the trick for me. If not, I have caramel calcium chews in the cabinet... :)
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with sweets, too. The only thing that works for me is to go low-carb for a while. That stops the cravings. (And no artificial sweeteners with aspartame.) HOWEVER, if I have a bite--just one BITE--of a cookie, cake, etc., I'm done. And I literally can't (or won't) stop. So, I feel your pain. Like I said, low carbing it is the only thing that helps short-term for me. If you find a more permanent result, let me know please!
    This is ME. If I buy anything along the "sweet" lines I will have it every day until it's gone. I work with a gal that brought in these peanut butter snicker squares this week and guess what's on my food diary.............yeah, snickers! Bad enough I LOVE peanut butter but snickers are one of my faves. I just read yet another article that is talking about STOPING all (as much as poss) sugar intake and replacing it with protein. http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Bennett3.html There are a ton out there but I guess it boils down to how bad do I want it. Enough to get through that week, or two or month (?) of misery? :grumble:
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Once you can get your sugar levels on your body normal, by eating leas sugar including bread and all carbs- you no longer crave. Most people, including myself til recently, have spiked insulin levels from constantly eating too much sugar. The more sugar you eat the more your body craves it. I learned this recently bc I had to cut out all dairy bc my breastfed son is sensitive to it. That meant pretty much cutting out any sweets, desserts, cakes etc. All of a sudden I no longer craved those things. Now I can read my body a lot better like if I have a large serving of pasta my sugar inevitably spikes and I crave sugar. So I have a tablespoon on natural peanut butter. That always calms my craving for sweets. It's hard but I was kinda forced into giving it up which wound up being a good thing for my body.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Once you can get your sugar levels on your body normal, by eating leas sugar including bread and all carbs- you no longer crave. Most people, including myself til recently, have spiked insulin levels from constantly eating too much sugar. The more sugar you eat the more your body craves it. I learned this recently bc I had to cut out all dairy bc my breastfed son is sensitive to it. That meant pretty much cutting out any sweets, desserts, cakes etc. All of a sudden I no longer craved those things. Now I can read my body a lot better like if I have a large serving of pasta my sugar inevitably spikes and I crave sugar. So I have a tablespoon on natural peanut butter. That always calms my craving for sweets. It's hard but I was kinda forced into giving it up which wound up being a good thing for my body.
    How long did it take for the cravings to go away? I think I just need to buck up and be a big girl. It's really weird though.....I think you're right, if I have them I just want them more! Hate this part. The sweets and the exercise.....Kind of suck at both of them! lol
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Once it's out for like 3 full days you'll feel the difference. Also eliminate all white flour. I use all whole grain breads.