All at once or throughout the day?

Options
I have recently purchased a treadmill. Now instead of running 3 miles each morning I run 1 mile 3-6 times a day. I'm wondering if this is better, worse or has no effect (aside from the fact that I can run more miles). I feel like running every hour or two would keep your metabolism up but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? THANKS!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I would think you would reduce your net gains because you would spend more time warming up with each individual workout, instead of one warmup with a longer period of aerobic exercise.

Being active throughout the day is important, but that isn't usually taken to me multiple periods of intense exercise.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    letbc wrote: »
    I have recently purchased a treadmill. Now instead of running 3 miles each morning I run 1 mile 3-6 times a day. I'm wondering if this is better, worse or has no effect (aside from the fact that I can run more miles).

It depends on what your objectives are. If you want to run a 10K then you need to do it all at once, but if you're only consuming calories then it's about total distance covered, so I can see how breaking it up would help.
    I feel like running every hour or two would keep your metabolism up but I'm not sure.

Doesn't really matter.

From a personal perspective it wouldn't do me any good as my objectives are around long distance endurance.
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. My intent isn't to do long distances, I would just like to keep moving. Since I started working from home last year I'm not nearly as active. I try to set a timer/reminder to alert me to move. I do understand what you're saying about the warm up. I hadn't thought of that.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. It can be mentally draining to stay on a treadmill for long periods of time. If you are likely to do more by breaking it up in segments, then go for it. I think the difference in calorie burn is going to be negligeble, so if that is your main goal, you should be fine either way.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a bad idea, by the way. I often hop on the treadmill here at work for 12 minutes at a crack with the incline set all the way up. But I only count the 12 minutes as 10 minutes to account for the warmup. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    letbc wrote: »
    I try to set a timer/reminder to alert me to move.

In that context I can see the value.
    I do understand what you're saying about the warm up. I hadn't thought of that.

As far as calorie count is concerned, it's ore about distance than time. Warm up is insignificant in that sense.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I would be so stinky if I worked up a sweat like that 6 times a day, lol. But I agree with a PP, if it works for you, then do it!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I glimpse an article once stating that those that workout but then sit at a desk all day don't reap the benefits like those that are constantly active. So if it keeps you going and its not a trouble between the two I'd say the breaks throughout the day may be better. But again I GLIMPSED however it seemed logical.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Its more of overall health than calorie burn.
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    do lots and lots of small runs of exercise high intensity

Just 5 min so I sweat and out of breath to start off with

That's all you need