Can we talk birth control ladies ?

Options
Ok so i recently started taking alesyna 28 , and my main huge concern is weight gain :

some people say : its all about controlling the amount of calories so if you don't overeat you WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS

some say : doesn't matter even if you eat in moderation you will GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS

What do you think?

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "its all about controlling the amount of calories so if you don't overeat you WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS"

Birth control alters your hormones, which can increase your DESIRE to eat more, or even make you lethargic so you don't WANT to work out or move as much, but eating within your calorie limit will STILL result in weight loss. It is the MOST rare of drugs and medical conditions that actually prevent weight loss.

End all be all: Your choices are influenced, but they're still your CHOICE.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As a side note/caution, birth control pills can completely kill your ability to feel aroused. Doesn't happen to everyone on it, but I finally discovered after going off the pill that sex in fact, was NOT actually boring. :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    As a side note/caution, birth control pills can completely kill your ability to feel aroused. Doesn't happen to everyone on it, but I finally discovered after going off the pill that sex in fact, was NOT actually boring. :)

I had this, among MANY other problems with hormonal birth control. The Paraguard IUD (Mirena is the hormonal/chemical one, paraguard is drug free) is the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • Cats2626
    Cats2626 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Ok so i recently started taking alesyna 28 , and my main huge concern is weight gain :

some people say : its all about controlling the amount of calories so if you don't overeat you WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS

some say : doesn't matter even if you eat in moderation you will GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS

What do you think?

I used to take birth control. At the time I was actively losing weight. I started taking the pill and ate the same as I had been. I regained no weight whatsoever and I continued to lose weight. Don't worry too much. And my doctor said if you do gain weight, it's only about 5-10 pounds, which you could lose easily. I once lost 16 pounds in a month. You'll be fine. :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Birth control never made me gain weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Words cannot express how delighted I am that birth control is no longer an issue as my fiance has had a vasectomy.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've been on a variety of pills over the last 25 years or so. None of them have ever made me gain weight. I agree that hormones can affect your hunger but that happens naturally even if you're not on the pill.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm sterile
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I'm experiencing this with the pill and it's VERY frustrating. My boyfriend thinks it's his fault but I can't seem to explain to him that it's the hormones in the pill - not him! I am not the type to turn down sex ever, and normally I initiate it, so it's very upsetting when I WANT to have sex, but my body doesn't want to! Sadly there are MANY women who experience this same issue.
    The idea of having an IUD inside me is scary, but I may just have to suck it up. I hate putting hormones in my body.

Back on topic... I haven't experienced any weight gain due to the pill. I believe the hormones in BC may make you crave food more, but that if you stay in a deficit (or maintenance) you shouldn't gain because of it.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD for 5 Years. I just had it taken out in June of this year. I gained about 30lbs while on it, but I didn't exactly eat the best either so whether or not it was all from the BC I couldn't really say. On a side note about Birth Control, I got sterilized when I had my Mirena taken out. I had the Essure put in and it is HELL. I have to see an obgyn this month about having a hysterectomy to have it removed. (Only way because its inserted in your Fallopian tubes permanently. ) And when my OB implanted it when he took my Mirena out, he said my Mirena IUD was lodged into me and he had to yank on it to get it out. He said if I was in his office trying to remove it he wouldn't have been able to and that I would have had to have surgery anyway. (I was already having surgery to have the Essure put in) But still..it freaked me the hell out. I don't recommend to ANYONE I know to get ANYTHING implanted into their body anymore. Have your man get a vasectomy or use condoms, seriously, its not worth it to me anymore.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to loose weight to change my birth control pills as it does not affect my hunger but my sex drive, and I am telling you this is a massive thing to me. Different people gets affected differently, so you may or may not put weight on. The human body is never easy to predict as we are all so different at the end of the day.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for years. Over time my libido just kept going lower and lower. Even during the week off I was much more "into it." I don't know if it was the main reason because I progressively have had more stress at work and workout a lot more. I would be too tired to do anything. I probably also had low blood sugar because hAngry was definitely a term in the house.

I stopped taking it in Sept '14 and haven't had my period yet (naturally). This last month I went back on the pill just to induce one and hopefully reset things. I didn't gain weight or lose weight for that matter and libido went up for maybe the first month. Before the pill I had it down to a T 27 days and like 9hours. While yes its been nice not having to constantly deal with the fun of the bathroom massacre, I still feel uneasy about what the pill may or may not have done to me. My doctor doesn't find it unusual but your menstrual cycle is like your barometer. I'm constantly worrying I have some deficiency or tumor I don't yet know about.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    After 5 years I just had my Mirena removed Monday. Though I didn't gain weight omit, it absolutely killed my sex drive, and modified my system that sex has become a very unpleasant experience. There are other issues with the Mirena as well that I will not get into as you asked specifically about weight gain. Since having it removed, my appetite has decreased. Also since having it removed, I am experiencing a whole slur of new issues. Whatever you decide OP, I strongly recommend AGAINST Mirena. If you query the Internet you will find testimony and testimony advising against Mirena. Good luck!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.

Forcing them to buy and use condoms is wrong on so many levels... ? I don't see a problem.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The first.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Great opinions everyone
    I recently lost 20 lbs and have a bit more to lose
    Im on a deficit and really watch portion sizes
    I honestly hope this wont wreck things up for me
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Really? It's wrong to ask a man to use a condom? Is it wrong for a man to want the woman to be on birth control just so they can have sex?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

Forcing them to buy and use condoms is wrong on so many levels... ? I don't see a problem.

Birth control is a two way thing, you have BOTH got responsibilities, and personally if a guy had a vasectomy and wanted to have unprotected sex with me, it be a no way Jose till he had his pecker checked out and tested at the doctors. I take my sexual health very seriously, and before going serious with my current partner, we discussed birth control, and before deciding I was going on the pill, we Both got tested.