Butternut squash recipes

treehopper1987
treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
What are some yummy butternut squash recipes? I made a chili with it last night that was pretty delicious, but have a lot of the squash left over.

Note: I do not really like the taste of butternut squash, but buy it because my son does (yes he eats healthier than me lol). I think it is really sweet so I'd like a recipe that doesn't really add to the sweetness.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    I don't really have recipes as I just create stuff as I go but some of my favorite things with butternut squash are on the savory side.

I add spices like sage, garlic, celery salt, black pepper, cumin as well as use onion and apple or apple cider for additional flavoring to make a bisque. Just basically puree everything then add your cream ingredient as you heat it through.

You can also puree and add to sauces, it's great in pasta sauce, makes a great base for pizza instead of a tomato sauce. Think red onions, sausage, sundried tomatoes, roasted red pepper these are all fabulous with butternut squash.

Toss it into lasagna, add a layer to shepards pie heck you can even use it in recipes like you would applesauce.

I didn't like squash either until I discovered how fabulous it tasted without maple and brown sugar. :wink:
  • treehopper1987
    I like to experiment too, @dawnmcneil10. It seems like most recipes I find online are all about adding in the brown sugar and cinnamon, and I just feel like it is way too sweet after that, and my weakness is sweets.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Puree it with onion, garlic and maybe sage and use it as a pasta sauce. You can even add a dollop of ricotta.

Oops, didn't see that @dawnmcneil10 recommended that!
  • treehopper1987
    That must mean it's good @Queenmunchy.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Look up "butternut squash fries". Delicious.
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Cube it...with chopped red onion and bell peppers mix olive oil an lil bit of balsamic vinegar mix all together salt n pepper to taste bake on a cookie sheet at 450
  • brefeiler
    brefeiler Posts: 5 Member
    Shred it with a grater or food processor along with an egg and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Put it in a non stick skillet with some oil or butter and make a hash out of it! So yummy and made it tonight
  • brefeiler
    brefeiler Posts: 5 Member
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    butternut squash soup and can add chilli to offset the sweetness.
    Butternut squash in a moroccan dish- i've been meaning to do this myself for a couple of weeks now.
    You could just roast it and freeze to use for later? or just nibble on?
  • PaulaAgius395
    PaulaAgius395 Posts: 1 Member
    There is a really good shepards pie recipe on hungry girl website that I have made a bunch of times.
  • treehopper1987
    I ended up making sauce over pasta. It was okay... needed a lot of salt to taste decent. Thanks everyone for the ideas. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I ended up making sauce over pasta. It was okay... needed a lot of salt to taste decent. Thanks everyone for the ideas. :)

I usually use a little bit of better than bouillon paste and top with parmesan.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    cube it up, microwave till slightly cooked.. fry in some coconut oil and onions with some salt and pepper ..
  • treehopper1987

I usually use a little bit of better than bouillon paste and top with parmesan.

I added fresh grated parmesan on top which helped. :-)
  • moyerbook
    moyerbook Posts: 2 Member
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Cranberries and Pecans. See photo and recipe on Face Book at The Fairfield House. Looks really good and only added sweetener is maple syrup, which you can add as you see fit.
  • Jgdiane
    Jgdiane Posts: 599 Member
    Could peel, cube, steam, bake or microwave til cooked, and mash. Then experiment with using it in muffins, cookies, pancakes, even pie (in place of sweet potatoes or pumpkin). I microwave cubed butternut squash and when cooked (but not mushy) drizzle a tiny bit of pure maple syrup on it and sometimes a bit of cinnamon. Hubby and I just had this for lunch today.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2015
    To cook the squash an easy/lazy way, I just score or poke the skin a bit to prevent explosion, wrap it in foil, put it in a dish to collect any leaks, and bake at any temp between 300 and 400 until a fork pokes through easily. Then you can cut it in half, remove the seeds and stringy stuff, and the meat of the squash just scoops easily out of the skin.

I usually do this when I'm cooking something else -- that's why I give a range of temps. If you cook it a day or so before you need it, you can just toss it in the fridge while still in the foil. That way it's cold and easy to handle when you want to scoop it out. I often put things like foil-wrapped squash, beets, sweet potatoes, etc. in the oven around other things to use up to three days later.

You can use squash cooked this way in any recipe that calls for mashing the squash. I like to make soup or pasta sauce out of it. When I'm being reckless with carbs, I turn it into ravioli filling or gnocchi.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    To cook the squash an easy/lazy way, I just score or poke the skin a bit to prevent explosion, wrap it in foil, put it in a dish to collect any leaks, and bake at any temp between 300 and 400 until a fork pokes through easily. Then you can cut it in half, remove the seeds and stringy stuff, and the meat of the squash just scoops easily out of the skin.

I usually do this when I'm cooking something else -- that's why I give a range of temps. If you cook it a day or so before you need it, you can just toss it in the fridge while still in the foil. That way it's cold and easy to handle when you want to scoop it out. I often put things like foil-wrapped squash, beets, sweet potatoes, etc. in the oven around other things to use up to three days later.

You can use squash cooked this way in any recipe that calls for mashing the squash. I like to make soup or pasta sauce out of it. When I'm being reckless with carbs, I turn it into ravioli filling or gnocchi.

Thanks! Cutting the thing is such a pain when it is raw!! I usually avoid squash because of this reason, unless I can find it pre-cut. Never thought of throwing it whole into the oven.

OP, I slice chop mine into squares, add to bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, cook at around 350 degrees until soft. Sometimes I add cajun seasoning
  • drnlo
    drnlo Posts: 3 Member
    I recently oven roasted some with just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. I diced it first, put on baking sheet, added olive oil S&P, roasted at 425 degrees until tender. It was done in about 20 mins. Yummy!
  • treehopper1987
    drnlo wrote: »
    I recently oven roasted some with just a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. I diced it first, put on baking sheet, added olive oil S&P, roasted at 425 degrees until tender. It was done in about 20 mins. Yummy!

I've tried this before and was not satisfied. The sweetness was still too much.