I need a good spanish rice recipe.

Options
:smile: I need a good spanish rice recipe for this weekend. Does anyone have one they like to use? Thanks!!

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    peel and smash (with the flat of a knife) a large clove of garlic. throw garlic, 2 c rice and 4 c 99% fat free chicken broth in a large pot. cook until done, dice a small roma tomato, half a red pepper, 1/4c canned tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste, add to rice, stir, simmer. Done!
  • bamboobee
    bamboobee Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a good one here you go

long grain white rice one cup ot two. Fry it up in a skillet with a little oil.

In blender 1/2 white onion, some garlic and caldo pollo y tomatoe by knorr ( which is chicken bouillion find it in mexican food isle)
    one to two teaspoons to taste. add a little water

after the rice is golden pour on mixture over rice.
    add additional water per rice package. Stir bring to boil. cover let simmer for about 20 min.

Just check on it to make sure it isnt burning.
    and its cooking...dont stir.
    You can also add a couple slices of bell paper while its simmering.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    You stole me recipe! lol It is sooo good. I used brown rice also, it just need to cook longer.
  • bamboobee
    bamboobee Posts: 10
    Options
    Never thought to use brown rice. Im going to try that next time!!! I know it is soooo yummy...lol
  • Bjornulf
    Bjornulf Posts: 29
    Options
    Here's a good one. You can substitute brown rice for the basmati, but that extends cooking time. Regular cook time with the basmati is about 30 minutes all told. This makes enough for 12 to 15 servings as a side dish.

Ingredients
    1 red bell pepper
    1 poblano pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper
    1 serrano pepper
    1 ear corn, shucked
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 yellow onion, diced, about 1 cup
    1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced
    1 chayote squash, peeled, seed removed and diced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups basmati rice
    5 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup roughly chopped Spanish olives
    1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup diced tomatoes
    1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
    Directions
    Heat the grill or broiler to high.

Arrange the red bell, poblano, jalapeno, serrano and corn on the grill or under the broiler. Char, turning frequently, until the peppers have blistered and corn is starting to brown slightly. The smaller peppers will finish first, as they do, transfer to a small paper bag and close. Let the peppers sweat and cool, then remove the seeds and skin and dice. Cut the corn kernels from cob. Add the peppers and corn to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.

In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, yellow bell pepper and chayote. Saute until just starting to caramelize. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in the garlic and rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in prepared peppers and corn, the olives, black beans and tomatoes. Cook until the rice is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Turn off the heat, add the cilantro and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
  • Bjornulf
    Bjornulf Posts: 29
    Options
    I have also substituted the black beans for pinto or even once with "chili beans" when I was in a hurry. Black beans are more authentic but were not well liked by a few of my clients.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OMG bamboobee I have the same rice recipe. passed down many generations too....I omit onions for my son but on occasion add oregano or add tomatos and cilantro when I want a different kick.
  • kclu787
    kclu787 Posts: 20
    Options
    interesting...these recipes are not the "Puertorican" style....how many calories (based on these recipes)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe from allrecipes.com:

Simple Mexican Rice

2 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 cup rice (I used brown rice)
    1 3/4 cups chicken broth (I used no-salt-added chicken stock)
    1/4 cup tomato paste (I used no salt added)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 deg C).
    2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the rice, chicken broth, and tomato paste, and bring to a boil. Transfer to a 1-quart casserole dish, and cover with foil or a lid.
    3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Let rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.

Per 1/2 cup serving as I made it:

Cals 122
    Carbs 17
    Fat 5
    Protein 3
    Sugar 3
    Sodium 69