Women 5'6-5'8 165-185 lbs., What Size are you?

Options

Replies

• voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    One phrase: Vanity Sizing. Just like @sunandmoons said, individuals are more apt to buy an article of clothing if they feel more positive about said clothing (i.e., size 2 versus size 10).
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7-5'8 at165 I wore a size 7 and that was 20 years ago lol right now I'm 214 and a size 14. So yes it's about the different ways weight is disbursed on each person and body frame.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 165 pounds and generally wear size 10 for work pants 8/medium for tops (I'm pear shaped). My jeans are size 8, but they are rather stretchy and will probably still fit when I get back down to the 150-155 range where I am most comfortable.
  • Cats2626
    Cats2626 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One phrase: Vanity Sizing. Just like @sunandmoons said, individuals are more apt to buy an article of clothing if they feel more positive about said clothing (i.e., size 2 versus size 10).

Yeah that's become really common. But the thing is that I own jeans from like 7 different brands, and most of them are 8's (except for one where I needed a 10 and one where I actually needed a 4/6 which is ridiculous). And other women of my height/weight wear the same brands as me, but say they wear different sizes?

• jenbcz
    jenbcz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", just reached 160lbs down from 195lbs :) I was a 12 from 195-185, 10 from 185-165, and now I'm an 8. In tops I'm a medium in short sleeves and Large in long sleeves, because I hate it when the sleeves aren't long enough ;P
  • Cats2626
    Options
    jenbcz wrote: »
    I'm 5'8", just reached 160lbs down from 195lbs :) I was a 12 from 195-185, 10 from 185-165, and now I'm an 8. In tops I'm a medium in short sleeves and Large in long sleeves, because I hate it when the sleeves aren't long enough ;P
    I get what you mean about the sleeves, except with pants. I'm only 5'7" which isn't even that tall, but my legs are longer than the upper half of my body, so Regular length pants are usually an inch or two too short, but Tall ones are an inch or two too long. It really bothers me lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    Cats2626 wrote: »

Yeah that's become really common. But the thing is that I own jeans from like 7 different brands, and most of them are 8's (except for one where I needed a 10 and one where I actually needed a 4/6 which is ridiculous). And other women of my height/weight wear the same brands as me, but say they wear different sizes?

They have different frame size / body composition.

I could care less what sizes other women wear.

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    5'8", 152 as of this morning, mostly size 10s. I could put on an 8, but it would be tight. I don't wear my clothes tight, generally.

It differs by body size and how tight a fit people are comfortable with. I've seen people post pics wearing clothing that I think is a size (or two) too small for them and other say No, it fits great. So, it's about what you like on that count. My "snug" might be someone else's loose. If it's clinging in any way, I'm not wearing the shirt. If a fat roll blobs over the top, I'm not wearing the shorts. If clothing that is tight "fits" then I'd be in a size 8, but I'm not wearing the 8s yet. :)

Okay, so this is a perfect example of body comp as I am also 5'8" and wear 10's however I am around 180.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No one person will be the same as you...You may be wearing clothes way to tight.. they may be wearing them way to big. Noone is exactly the same. No one structure is the same.

If you are happy with your weight, that again is what matters.

One could weigh 140 and be skinny fat with a 30% ratio of fat and be a size 5.
    Another could weigh140 and have a ratio of 15 % fat and wear a size 9.

What do you think is better?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    It's not really a mystery: it's genetics & muscle mass. Look around, people come in ALL shapes& sizes. I'm 184 & a 10 in jeans. At about 170 I'll be an 8. Under 150 most of the weight finally starts chiseling off my upper body. Just the way I carry. That's why clothing size, weight & BMI are just numbers. The real game changers are BF percentages, strength, agility & self confidence in one's own skin.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Actually, a quick study shows that women's clothing sizes (Men's sizes do not change nearly so frequently as women's so I'll stick to the ladies wear for now) have changed drastically over the past fifty years or so.

Starting with the current sizing and going backwards... The current clothing sizes were initiated about twelve - fifteen years ago. Looking at jeans, since most of us wear denims on a somewhat regular basis...

What is now a size 10, twenty-five years ago was a size six.
    And what was a size twelve twenty-five years ago is now about two inches smaller than the current size ten!

And, looking further back, we can see that about fifty years ago, there was a size shift as well. So, what was a size fourteen in, say... 1990, was a size twelve prior to around 1965.

Anecdotally, I can recall reading an article on 1940's/50's movie star, Marilyn Monroe, which noted that she was a "large" woman, wearing a size fourteen! Thing is, that 1940's 14 she wore was probably no bigger than a size four today. And she didn't have any spandex to help her clothes move.

Can you imagine going into a vintage clothing store and the only thing you can wear is six or eight sizes different from what you are accustomed to?

In other words: Don't get hung up on those numbers. They are not the ones you need to be looking at.
  • Cats2626
    Options

No one person will be the same as you...You may be wearing clothes way to tight.. they may be wearing them way to big. Noone is exactly the same. No one structure is the same.

Oh yes, I know that everyone is different. I also know that I myself have a large body frame/structure. I just found it odd that someone my same height and weight could be 2-3 sizes bigger. 1 I can understand, but 2-3 seems odd.
  • Cats2626
    Options

Oh yes, I know that everyone is different. I also know that I myself have a large body frame/structure. I just found it odd that someone my same height and weight could be 2-3 sizes bigger. 1 I can understand, but 2-3 seems odd.
    Also, the size 9 person is obviously better because they have a lower fat percentage.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    ~I'm 5'6, 172# and a size 10
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Actually, a quick study shows that women's clothing sizes (Men's sizes do not change nearly so frequently as women's so I'll stick to the ladies wear for now) have changed drastically over the past fifty years or so.

Starting with the current sizing and going backwards... The current clothing sizes were initiated about twelve - fifteen years ago. Looking at jeans, since most of us wear denims on a somewhat regular basis...

What is now a size 10, twenty-five years ago was a size six.
    And what was a size twelve twenty-five years ago is now about two inches smaller than the current size ten!

And, looking further back, we can see that about fifty years ago, there was a size shift as well. So, what was a size fourteen in, say... 1990, was a size twelve prior to around 1965.

Anecdotally, I can recall reading an article on 1940's/50's movie star, Marilyn Monroe, which noted that she was a "large" woman, wearing a size fourteen! Thing is, that 1940's 14 she wore was probably no bigger than a size four today. And she didn't have any spandex to help her clothes move.

Can you imagine going into a vintage clothing store and the only thing you can wear is six or eight sizes different from what you are accustomed to?

In other words: Don't get hung up on those numbers. They are not the ones you need to be looking at.

So true. 30 years ago, I was about 125 pounds in a size 12/14. Now, I'm 150 and in a size 10.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm around 190#, so slightly more than you were asking for but I wear a size 12 which is getting to be too big. I tried on a few size 10s lately and they fit just not as comfortable as I want yet. It is interesting how different body comps can be...
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Not at all.. Too many variations in clothing- styles and manufacturing, vanity sizing.
    Different body compositions.

Your keep focusing your size is smaller, compairing yourself to others. Why is that?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', 186lbs and a US size 8/10. I was an 8/10 when I was 20+ pounds heavier, and I was a size 8 at my lightest which was about 165lbs. So I feel like I have this 40-50lbs range where I am pretty much the same size...
  • Cats2626
    Options

Not at all.. Too many variations in clothing- styles and manufacturing, vanity sizing.
    Different body compositions.

Your keep focusing your size is smaller, compairing yourself to others. Why is that?

I always compare myself to others. Not that I think they're worse than me, actually because I think they're better than me. I struggle to accept myself, and I feel like these other women all look better than me regardless of size. And other women who are a size 8 look better than me. I just feel inferior compared to others.
  • Cats2626
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', 186lbs and a US size 8/10. I was an 8/10 when I was 20+ pounds heavier, and I was a size 8 at my lightest which was about 165lbs. So I feel like I have this 40-50lbs range where I am pretty much the same size...

Finally! Someone like me :)