Workout at home advice?

Options
I live in a very small town with one gym. There is no daycare in the gym. My husband leaves for work very early so I cannot go to the gym before he's gone since I have small kids. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of heavy lifting and HIIT but don't know where to start or how to do it at home. I have an elliptical, treadmill, and various dumbbells. My current diet is about 1200 calories per day because I am not very active. I have lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks just from tracking and following my calorie goal. Does anyone have any good recommendations for exercise to lose weight and tone? I'm afraid of having lots of excess skin (on my arms) when I do reach my goal weight, and I'd love to be more fit!

SW: 242
CW: 228
GW: 160

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are thousands of exercise videos on YouTube. Jessica Smith TV is my favorite. I do a mixture of cardio for my heart and lungs, and strength to help keep a larger percentage of lean muscle.

Do the exercise you enjoy. Don't worry about "this is better" it may be just a matter of "this is popular right now." Find what you will do consistently. Getting the weight off is just half the battle; keeping it off takes work too. Life long exercise is good for your health and a good example for your kids.

http://www.jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

Heavy lifting (look up strong lifts) is going to require an investment in equipment and space.

Hiit is high impact interval training....too hard on my joints and not terrible interesting to me anyway.

Fitness Blender has youtube workouts also
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would probably up the calories a few hundred so you don't lose too fast if you are worried about excess skin after you hit goal weight. Plus, once you increase your activity you will need more calories to fuel your activity. For HIIT training you can use both the elliptical and treadmill. Warm up for 5-10 minutes at an easy pace and then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and then go back to a medium effort for 2 minutes if you did 30 seconds or four minutes if you went all out for 1 minute. Repeat the sprint and recovery several times until you hit 20 minutes and the you can do a 5-10 minute cool down. You can do a routine like this a couple of times a week.

To gain strength, you can do bodyweight exercises like pushups, planks, flutter kicks, burpees, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, and others. You can do bicep curls, presses, tricep kickbacks, lunges and squats with weights. You can use YouTube to find form videos, or try magazine sites like Oxygen or Strong Fitness (both geared towards women) for at home routines and proper form videos.

Hope this helps!
  • erinkate86
    erinkate86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My recommendation is to eat 500 more calories a day than you currently do a day. WTF did he just say...lol..

Even if 5 of the lbs you lost is water your still losing 3 lbs a week which is to much your largest organ (skin) will never keep up at that rate even two lbs a week is hard for your skin to react too.

500 calories a day times seven days is 3500 calories which is one pound.

If I was you I would do body weight squats in the 20 rep range push ups with knees on the floor until you can do them without, walk a lot, shadow box, anything that gets you to sweat!!!

If your goal weight is 150lbs make sure you get at least 60 grams of fat in everyday and and over 100 grams of protein both of these will help with skin, hair, nails, hormones and muscle retention.

Good luck its a great journey if you stay consistent and you will feel fantastic when your done..
    555587 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I would probably up the calories a few hundred so you don't lose too fast if you are worried about excess skin after you hit goal weight. Plus, once you increase your activity you will need more calories to fuel your activity. For HIIT training you can use both the elliptical and treadmill. Warm up for 5-10 minutes at an easy pace and then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and then go back to a medium effort for 2 minutes if you did 30 seconds or four minutes if you went all out for 1 minute. Repeat the sprint and recovery several times until you hit 20 minutes and the you can do a 5-10 minute cool down. You can do a routine like this a couple of times a week.

To gain strength, you can do bodyweight exercises like pushups, planks, flutter kicks, burpees, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, and others. You can do bicep curls, presses, tricep kickbacks, lunges and squats with weights. You can use YouTube to find form videos, or try magazine sites like Oxygen or Strong Fitness (both geared towards women) for at home routines and proper form videos.

Hope this helps!

Great Information. Thank You