Men's 'after' pictures: why so serious?

Options
Just a random observation, but I do wonder... in men's before and after pictures, they're usually smiling before, and almost never smiling after. Why is that? Where did the smile go? Bring it back!

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Maybe guys want to show how tough and macho they are now that they're in shape when before it was important to show how sensitive you are because you didn't have the body to pull off macho.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Have to concentration on flexing (well, at least that's why I didn't smile in my after pictures).
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Maybe they like themselves better without a smile.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Haha, mine will be the opposite. There are NO before pictures of me (I hate pictures in general, long standing hatred from years of family photos with a large numbered family)
    So all my after pictures will be all smiles :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the male equivalent of Resting *kitten* Face when I'm not paying attention to my facial expression.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    Just a random observation, but I do wonder... in men's before and after pictures, they're usually smiling before, and almost never smiling after. Why is that? Where did the smile go? Bring it back!

I've never heard of this before. It is the no-smiling-after sydrome? :D
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Amount of work it takes to build muscle along with diet makes guys cranky. I know I am.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    hAngry face!
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the male equivalent of Resting *kitten* Face when I'm not paying attention to my facial expression.

Lmfao best response ever.
    I have a resting *kitten* face if I don't pay attention, so I feels ya there.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Lmfao best response ever.
    I have a resting *kitten* face if I don't pay attention, so I feels ya there.

Srsly. Even my husband of 15 years (minus 15 days) asks often, "What's wrong?" "Did I do something?" OMG, no, I'm just not making an effort to have a 'pleasant look' on my face! Good grief.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think it's the equivalent of girls who do the duck face thing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    I think it's the equivalent of girls who do the duck face thing.

Not really. Duck face in intentional, but not smiling in a picture isn't necessarily intentional. Don't you have at least one picture of yourself where you aren't smiling?
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What in the world is duck face?
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When people take pictures of themselves with their cheeks sucked in and their lips puckered
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Have to concentration on flexing (well, at least that's why I didn't smile in my after pictures).

this!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, they're hangry.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yep, they're hangry.

Aha! That must be it!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Me too. People tend to think I'm angry if I'm not smiling. I'm fine with that.

As for smiling in pictures. It's just awkward. I either do silly smile, or none. I also just don't like photos! I'll do smiles for other people, but that's just so I don't have to take more pictures (and hear complaining).
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    As for smiling in pictures. It's just awkward. I either do silly smile, or none. I also just don't like photos! I'll do smiles for other people, but that's just so I don't have to take more pictures (and hear complaining).

Me too. All my pictures are some kind of ridiculous goofball face, because I don't really get what you're supposed to do. It's such a contrived situation, posing for typical pictures. Better to take tons of candids, now that they're basically free, and sort 'em out later.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »

Why are the womerns always making puckered faces?