Keep losing or switch to maintenance?

Options
I'm getting close to my goal now and debating when I should switch to maintenance and start what I guess is a recomp. I'm 5'4. Starting weight was 157. I'm 135 now. My goal weight is 130.

I've been lifting a lot and have firmed up a bit, but I'm still very squishy.... I don't know if I should shoot for 125lbs and then recomp because of all this fat on me (plus that gives me wiggle room for gaining a few lbs back), or still plan to recomp at 130.

I have got to get all this flippin fat off me.... Any thoughts?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Have you been lifting all along or no?

I'm 5'4" as well. I started my recomp between 130-135 and 130 was my goal too. (I didn't stick with it but that's my problem).

It really is YOUR decision. You can post a recent picture and we can tell you what we think, but it doesn't really matter. If you're comfortable with how you look but ready to make changes to your body composition-go for the recomp. If you really want to get a bit of fluff off, get down to 130. 5 pounds makes a big difference on women our height (once you're within a healthy weight range), especially if you're lifting.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Not lifting all along, no. I started about 2mos ago. I guess I should drop my weight a bit further then. Just wasn't sure if maintenance/lifting or lower weight was best to attack the amount of fat I still have. I'm satisfied with my body from the waist up, but the lower half is an absolute nightmare.
  • arditarose
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Not lifting all along, no. I started about 2mos ago. I guess I should drop my weight a bit further then. Just wasn't sure if maintenance/lifting or lower weight was best to attack the amount of fat I still have. I'm satisfied with my body from the waist up, but the lower half is an absolute nightmare.

Yeah, if you think you have a bit of fat to lose-go for it. You know what to do and a couple more months before starting a recomp won't matter in the long run. I am bottom heavy too and that's exactly why I wanted to experiment with losing a bit more fat before starting a recomp. But like I said, it's really up to you!

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much exactly my situation too - 5'4", 134.2 today and my goal is 130. I vote for trying to get down to that point and seeing how you feel. I am struggling with this last five pounds so will probably take a break once I get there, then decide about losing more or trying to recomp. I've been lifting from the beginning, but only resistance training with lower weight in a class at my gym (think squats with up to 35 lb plates in each hand, 15 lb bicep curls, etc), so I plan on starting a progressive strength training program soon. I'm hoping this will make a difference.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah. I really wanted to get to 130 before I recomped but it was so hard for me. I think I gave up at 133. I lifted all along so had a decent amount of muscle left. This was how I looked at 5'4" and 133 when I decided to recomp.

os94izdgm89g.jpg
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yeah. I really wanted to get to 130 before I recomped but it was so hard for me. I think I gave up at 133. I lifted all along so had a decent amount of muscle left. This was how I looked at 5'4" and 133 when I decided to recomp.

You look incredible! I don't have a recent pic to post but I might take one - it's amazing how differently bodies can hold weight though. My stomach looks nothing like that at a pound heavier and the same height. I don't even have kids to blame for it. Maybe the difference between the lifting I'm doing and an actual progressive lifting program too.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    there is a good discussion on this in the success forum... vismal is the OP
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Holy crap I'm 5"4 128 and look like a teletubby compared to you! Sweet Lord I wish my everything was that hard!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Holy crap I'm 5"4 128 and look like a teletubby compared to you! Sweet Lord I wish my everything was that hard!!

I started lifting heavy the day I started logging.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

"Holy crap" is an understatement! LOL! You look awesome! Ok. I definitely need to keep working on getting my weight down some more before switching, which is fine. :smile:

• arditarose
    Options

"Holy crap" is an understatement! LOL! You look awesome! Ok. I definitely need to keep working on getting my weight down some more before switching, which is fine. :smile:

To be fair, I was quite a mess in the booty and leg department in this pic as well. This is how I looked on a good day, no bloat, no period. But I just posted for reference, this is when I was comfortable enough to recomp. It will be different for everyone. The important thing is being in a healthy weight range.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and I will stop actively trying to lose at 130 'cause I was happy around that weight in the past. I put the "fitness model" look into bodybuilder.com and it gave me a goal of 115; which is so not happening...
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

os94izdgm89g.jpg

I'm seriously wanting to cry the jealous tears of a short person right now. I'm down to 129 and no where near looking that good in a two piece. I'm 5'0", I would have to get down to 110 to look half as good as that. You look amazing! Keep doing what your doing!
  • arditarose
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and I will stop actively trying to lose at 130 'cause I was happy around that weight in the past. I put the "fitness model" look into bodybuilder.com and it gave me a goal of 115; which is so not happening...

No. Yeah. I tried for 125 (though kind of aggressively) and it was just painful. Some 5'4" women get down to 115 so easily. Not for me.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

^ The lifting is the key - I wish I could get my SO to do it. You look great! Congratulations and good luck!
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    To be fair, I was quite a mess in the booty and leg department in this pic as well. This is how I looked on a good day, no bloat, no period. But I just posted for reference, this is when I was comfortable enough to recomp. It will be different for everyone. The important thing is being in a healthy weight range.

Ok. I know having lifted for quite a while got you to the point you were in that pic, but....I have so much more flippin fat on me!!!!! It just goes to show because I'm at about the same weight you are (or were), what fat vs muscle looks like. But now I'm thinking that dropping to 125 may not even get enough off me to start a recomp.

This is where I get hung up. Like...how low do I have to go to get "x" amount of fat off before recomping to attack the rest.... I'll try taking a pic of myself later. I may have to chug a beer first to psych myself up. :neutral:

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am 5 lbs away from the upper end of my maintenance range. I have toyed with the idea of recomping, but decided to try and lose some more fat first. I carry almost all of mine right in my belly. I decided to give myself until Christmas and see if I can lose the last 5 lbs, then I will switch to maintenance or a very small deficit and recomp. It is vanity pounds now. I am happy with how I look in clothes, I just want to look better naked/in a bikini. I am 5'0' and 115 lbs.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    h1z3z4jobhxs.jpeg

And there you have it. Same height/weight. I've resigned myself to the fact that my legs are always going to be the worst part of me. And since my upper body (which is lopped off in the pic) is smaller, I wonder if I'll end up bony up there to get the fat off the bottom half if I drop my weight too low.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My goodness, you're all so critical of your bodies. You all look great!
  • arditarose
    Options
    h1z3z4jobhxs.jpeg

And there you have it. Same height/weight. I've resigned myself to the fact that my legs are always going to be the worst part of me. And since my upper body (which is lopped off in the pic) is smaller, I wonder if I'll end up bony up there to get the fat off the bottom half if I drop my weight too low.

We have extremely similar bodies. You look great. I think you'll be ready to recomp before you know it. The thing is, 5 lbs makes a pretty big difference on our frame. I got down to 128 and I was just starting to get a bit bony on top.

Really, great work.