PASTA!!! Don't know what to do!!! HELP!!!

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to take White Kidney Bean Extract to basiclly paralize(sp?) carbs in pasta so basiclly its like not eating any carbs....Haven't tried it just saw it on his show.

Where do you get kidney bean extract?
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with this Barilla Plus is the best. It tastes like pasta and has texture like pasta. With more protein and fiber. It is even pasta colored. Kids will even eat it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I love bread as well. And LOVE cheese. It's been a big challenge. :)

You are no different then any of us. We all love these things too. That is why we are all here, to try and see if we can learn how to eat all the things we love in moderation.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni Smart Taste!!! Seriously it is white pasta but it is full of fiber so it fills you up more easily, and if you only eat the serving size its really not that many calories. serving size is 1 cup which is plenty of pasta!!!
  • KittyKaddy
    Options
    I try to remember that I can have most anything I really want to eat, however I just don't eat it all at once! I keep in mind that I can have this food again another day. This way of thinking gives me freedom from the powerful control food can have on me. Hope this helps...:smile:
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    And don't discount pasta as a SIDE dish. Who says it has to be the entire focus of a meal? Have a nice salad - have a piece of fish or chicken and have some pasta as a side dish with a red sauce & a sprinkle of cheese.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to take White Kidney Bean Extract to basiclly paralize(sp?) carbs in pasta so basiclly its like not eating any carbs....Haven't tried it just saw it on his show.

Where do you get kidney bean extract?

at a nutrition store like GNC just enter it in the search box and it will bring up like carb blocker or something like that
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Pasta is one of my favorite things and I ate it a lot. :)

Since beginning my journey to loose weight, which is 25 days today, I have not ate pasta even once. The calories and carbs on the label scare me completely.
    I recently purchased Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Penne in place of regular pasta. Even this is a sacrifice because I know it won't taste the same. And the calories, fat and carbs are almost the same, but the Healthy Harvest has more fiber. That's the only difference so I don't so much get that either.
    Since buying the Healthy Harvest, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat it.
    I was thinking of making a chicken and penne stir fry for dinner, which sounds so yummy, but terrifies me. I would be getting a load of protein and some good fiber, but that doesn't seem worth it to me. The meal would easily come to 500 calories.
    I don't want to be in a position where I can't have a snack later because I have used up all my calories. I could exercise, but it is no guarantee that I will get the time to. I have already exercised today but I do not feel good about eating back my exercise calories.

I need help. Am I right not to eat pasta? I have heard many times that pasta is good for you. But I don't understand how a food, with that much carbs and calories, can be good for me.

Here is the nutritional info:

SERVING: 3/4 cup
    Calories: 310
    Fat: 1.5g (it's great on fat!)
    Carbs: 62g
    Fiber: 8g
    Protein: 12g

Thanks so much in advance for your comments and suggestions. :)

When choosing food I don't just look at the calorie count, I also look the nutrients I get from it. Personally I hate the taste of whole wheat pasta. I buy brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta. Cooking is a bit different, but other than that it taste really good. and is less of a carb overload than regular or whole wheat. The other thing consider is portion size. I make my pasta dishes 1/3 pasta and 2/3 veg & protein. That way you still get the pasta you like but loads of good stuff as well.

Brown rice pasta:
    Total Calories 200
    Calories From Fat 15
    Total Fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 25 mg 1%
    Potassium 90 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrates 44 g 15%
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 5%
    Sugars 0 g

Show Net Carbs

Protein 4 g

Quina Pasta
    Calories 205.0
    Total Fat 1.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 4.0 mg
    Potassium 0.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
    Sugars 1.0 g
    Protein 4.0 g
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Have y'all tried Fiber Gourmet pastas? Each 2oz uncooked serving (which ends up being a HUGE serving) is 130 cals, 42g carbs, 18g fiber (yes, 18!!!), 6g protein, and 1g of fat. They actually taste really good. Check it out
    http://www.fibergourmet.com/ClassicPastaHealthy.aspx
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Okay so i know this isnt close to real pasta at all but have you tried spagehetti squash? I just tried it the other night and my husband even liked it! it comes out kinda al dente. Now we just ate it alone with pasta sauce and meatballs but im sure you could mix it in with a bit of real pasta and it would be amazing plus you could eat more :D its like 80 cal. per cup i think.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Shirataki Noodles are low carb and NO CALORIE noodles... google them. I saw them on Dr. oz. He used them in spaghetti... try them they may be your life save!
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I love bread as well. And LOVE cheese. It's been a big challenge. :)

portion size... its a life style not a jail term...
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Okay so i know this isnt close to real pasta at all but have you tried spagehetti squash? I just tried it the other night and my husband even liked it! it comes out kinda al dente. Now we just ate it alone with pasta sauce and meatballs but im sure you could mix it in with a bit of real pasta and it would be amazing plus you could eat more :D its like 80 cal. per cup i think.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, 1/2 my garden is spaghetti squash this year. LOVE it........
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I always try to cooke up very little pasta and load up the veggies in the dish. Remember pasta doubles in size when you cook it so 1/2 cup ends up being a full cup,and is more then enough pasta.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a problem for me too, because I love it so much and can't stop at just one serving. So, I only eat it occasionally and I've switched to Barilla Plus pasta. But I'm sure not going through life never eating it.
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Options
    I too am a pasta lover, but am not eating it as much as I used to. I agree with the posters that it is important to let yourself eat some occasionally it as long as it is in moderation. I use both ronzoni smart taste and barilla plus and both are soo delicious and much more nutritious than regular white pasta. I also eat Shirataki noodles all the time. They have a slightly chewier texture, but are so great if you are craving pasta and feel guilty because you didn't have time to workout that day. The angel hair are my favorite but the regular spaghetti are great too. And the best part is you can eat one bag (which is a lot) for only 40 calories! Hungry Girl has a ton of recipes for using them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I ate pasta regularly during my weight loss. I have eaten less lately, but that is more a matter of not really wanting pasta. If you look at the weight of the serving and not the cups you will find catelli has a larger serving size than the generics, at least it does in my experience. Just reduce the portion size a bit and eat a bunch of veggies with it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would try making single servings to get used to the portion size. Measure out 2 oz, cook, and enjoy. You can add all kinds of good things to it.

If you must cook for more than one person, then measure out 2 oz dry for each person, cook it all, strain, then dump it all in one container and weigh it. Divide the total by the number of servings and you get the amount of calories per cooked serving. Then weigh out those portions. 1 serving is 200 calories.

We eat pasta probably 2 times per week. I often make a pasta primavera and put in so many veggies, chicken and other stuff that 1 serving of pasta spreads out over 2 meals.

When eating pasta with a meat sauce or meat balls, instead of seeing the big pasta bowl as the total meal, I add broccoli or salad.
  • rhapsody527
    Options
    I say have it! If you deny yourself something you love for too long, you are going to end up binging on it when the craving gets too bad. Just watch the portion size. When I want to bulk my pasta up a little more, I use a veggie peeler to shave long, thin strips of zucchini, yellow squash, and carrot into it. It looks like spaghetti, and you can eat a bigger serving if there is a ton of veggies in it!
  • bcase3
    bcase3 Posts: 2
    Options
    If I do any pasta -i have swiched to Quinoa which is a grain and has lots of protein or rice noodles which have the texture just like psata...it doesn not have all of the white flour etc. in it...you get can get either one in penne or maccaroni etc...but I think they are better for you!