Options

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I lost my drive
    I've tried Maca Root. It worked for like a few weeks.

What in the world is that?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.

Forcing them to buy and use condoms is wrong on so many levels... ? I don't see a problem.

No. Forcing a vasectomy. I have no issue with condoms what so ever.

Ah, that makes more sense!

A lot of these things really depend on the context of the relationship.
    No, it makes no sense. I didn't say such a thing. That poster pulled that out of her hat. It was completely fabricated and never suggested.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    I lost my drive
    I've tried Maca Root. It worked for like a few weeks.

What in the world is that?

@Kimegatron maca root is supposed to regulate your hormones.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been on BC for just under 8 years. The birth control is not the reason for my weight gain, the fact that I over ate is. My Dr. wants to take me off birth control, but I am stalling. I am on the kind that I take for three months, then take have my cycle. Before birth control I would have extremely heavy and long cycles. I literally would have to change my protection every 10 min. and it was interfering with being able to work. You can't be in a classroom of 7 year olds all day if you have to run to the bathroom every 10 min!
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thats what im trying to tell myself
    It's all about deficit
    If I stay within the amount of calories I shouldn't gain any weight
    But i wanted to see if anyone thinks like me
    Thanks everyone
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Try searching. this is literally asked multiple times a week with the exact same answers............. If you aren't getting these answers from your prescribing physician get a new doctor. Educating you about medication they prescribe is kinda their job. Same with a pharmacist.

Pharmacists are not doctors, and doctors are not Gods, they are humans like the rest of us, not infallible, nor the tree of knowledge (unfortunately). Therefore I like threads like these where we all share our experiences, as different people react differently not just to birth control but to most things. Where I live, changing your GP btw is not that easy, you have a small catchment area, and if you live outside of it, you cannot change to a GP in that area.

It is absolutely a pharmacists job to educate about medications. Most know more than MDs; that's what they go to school for.

Even if you can't change your doctor you should still make they sure they are educating you.

Edit: and no offense but I would certainly trust a doctor or pharmacist over random internet people and their opinions. As a nurse I see people do all kinds of wacky stuff because of misinformation they read on the Internet, some which has resulted in disastrous consequences. Doctors and pharmacists may not be God and a good thing too, they go to school to learn about this, it's not just based on their opinions, but on clinical studies most people here I venture haven't read through them (though I highly encourage people to read them and educate yourself about anything you takes so you can make informed decisions).

I always advocate that all patients research any medication they are asked to take independently.

I have had pharmacists swear up and down a medication is safe for me, for me to read the inactive ingredients, and immediately realize I am allergic to them. Yes-pharmacists can be a good source of information, but they should not be the only place a person gets medication information. Also- there is a difference between pharmacist and pharmacy technician, which some places do not make clear who is who when you ask to speak to someone.

In the US they wear clear labels and badges of their position just as we do in the hospital. Yes, random people on the Internet are a much better source I'm sure lol. I never said they were infallible, but that it's their job to educate people on the medicines they take, never said it was the only place that should get it either so I'm not sure where that's coming from.
  • Weirdistonni
    Weirdistonni Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been on multiple different birth control pills as well as the Depo shot all made me gain weight. Within the first year of me being on the Depo I gained 40 pounds. I've stop taking birth control because of all the weight gain.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've lost 112 lbs on the mini pill (plus still losing on other meds that "cause" weight gain) so I'm pretty sure it can be done.
  • CharlotteALC93
    CharlotteALC93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought twice about this but thinking about it, I recently stopped my birth control pill and my weight is coming off ALOT easier. Like 2lbs in 3 days from doing nothing differently.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been on multiple methods for a long time (various bc pills nuvaring etc.) and thankfully I never had any issues with acne, hormones, mood swings, appetite, libido (although that could come down a couple of notches lol).

Now I have been on Implanon for several years with no side effects. I was an average weight when I first got it, gained 80 lbs with it (from emotional eating/sitting around, not the implant), lost 80 lbs with it and have kept it off for a couple of years.

On another note, is the diaphragm still around? It was a non-hormonal option I used in the 90's and I loved it.

• hawaiifittness
    hawaiifittness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually talked to my doc about this when I started taking it she said 1-3 pounds or water weight is common but not more than that. Proper diet and exercise would help get rid of the extra water Weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Try searching. this is literally asked multiple times a week with the exact same answers............. If you aren't getting these answers from your prescribing physician get a new doctor. Educating you about medication they prescribe is kinda their job. Same with a pharmacist.

Pharmacists are not doctors, and doctors are not Gods, they are humans like the rest of us, not infallible, nor the tree of knowledge (unfortunately). Therefore I like threads like these where we all share our experiences, as different people react differently not just to birth control but to most things. Where I live, changing your GP btw is not that easy, you have a small catchment area, and if you live outside of it, you cannot change to a GP in that area.

It is absolutely a pharmacists job to educate about medications. Most know more than MDs; that's what they go to school for.

Even if you can't change your doctor you should still make they sure they are educating you.

Edit: and no offense but I would certainly trust a doctor or pharmacist over random internet people and their opinions. As a nurse I see people do all kinds of wacky stuff because of misinformation they read on the Internet, some which has resulted in disastrous consequences. Doctors and pharmacists may not be God and a good thing too, they go to school to learn about this, it's not just based on their opinions, but on clinical studies most people here I venture haven't read through them (though I highly encourage people to read them and educate yourself about anything you takes so you can make informed decisions).

I always advocate that all patients research any medication they are asked to take independently.

I have had pharmacists swear up and down a medication is safe for me, for me to read the inactive ingredients, and immediately realize I am allergic to them. Yes-pharmacists can be a good source of information, but they should not be the only place a person gets medication information. Also- there is a difference between pharmacist and pharmacy technician, which some places do not make clear who is who when you ask to speak to someone.

In the US they wear clear labels and badges of their position just as we do in the hospital. Yes, random people on the Internet are a much better source I'm sure lol. I never said they were infallible, but that it's their job to educate people on the medicines they take, never said it was the only place that should get it either so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Oh really? Guarantee if I walk into rite aid right now near my apt, NO ONE behind the counter at the pharmacy has a name badge on.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options

@Lathandria There was a news story on the other night about ESSURE. There are many women suing the company who makes it due to a myriad of complications. It sounds like a dreadful, painful and not a full proof method of birth control :disappointed:

Good luck to you, and from what i've read you're doing absolutely the right thing having it removed xx

@christinev297 Thank you! :smile:
  • lunad_w
    lunad_w Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is there anything besides the pill that everyone is using? Has anyone had a reaction to the implant or Nuvaring?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I've been on multiple methods for a long time (various bc pills nuvaring etc.) and thankfully I never had any issues with acne, hormones, mood swings, appetite, libido (although that could come down a couple of notches lol).

Now I have been on Implanon for several years with no side effects. I was an average weight when I first got it, gained 80 lbs with it (from emotional eating/sitting around, not the implant), lost 80 lbs with it and have kept it off for a couple of years.

On another note, is the diaphragm still around? It was a non-hormonal option I used in the 90's and I loved it.

Yes, I have a diaphragm. I'm not using it for BC, though, but to have sex without mess during the light days of my period or if I am spotting mid-cycle.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    proudseal wrote: »
    I never had any issue with weight gain while on the pill, but I'm sure every drug and every woman will be a little different.
    As a side note/caution, birth control pills can completely kill your ability to feel aroused. Doesn't happen to everyone on it, but I finally discovered after going off the pill that sex in fact, was NOT actually boring. :)

^Yep!

I switched off the pill several months ago for this and other reasons. I began using FAM (fertility awareness method) and I LOVE IT. If anyone is curious about this, I highly recommend checking it out. It's not for everyone, but if you are sick of the side effects of hormones, it's worth looking into. I am happy to chat about it, send me a PM if interested.

Sorry to go a bit off topic from the OP but I noticed several comments along these lines, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I used the fertility awareness method successfully for 10 years or so with my now-ex husband. Christiane Northrup's "Women's Bodies; Women's Wisdom" had a paragraph or two about it which was all I needed to know.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lunad_w wrote: »
    Is there anything besides the pill that everyone is using? Has anyone had a reaction to the implant or Nuvaring?

I use nuvaring and never had an issue with it.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My only real weight gain when i was on BC was when i was on the depo shot, but mid way through i started getting a little more active and found that it was probably me just being lazy that caused it vs the actual shot.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    When I got put on birth control, the doctor promised that if I was in a caloric deficit, the pill would not make me gain. I stayed on in 3 months, then came off of it. The reason I came off was because I have never in my life craved grease--fatty, greasy, oily foods---so bad. It got to the point that I wanted the greasiest foods I could find all the time. So, yes, I gained weight. The pill was indirect..I could have denied the cravings and not gained...but they were strong and I gave in and gained a significant amount of weight. The cravings didn't subside for a long time after I stopped the pill either.

im on the nuvaring and all i want to do is eat ice cream and cookies and fried chicken. like, its like being pregnant all over again D: just gotta learn to say no and get some self control. THOUGH IT IS SO HARD.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    lunad_w wrote: »

I have the paraguard IUD (hormone free). I probably wouldn't have got it before I had my son, because they say implantation in a mint-condition(tee-hee) uterus can be painful as well as increase period pain, but if you've had a kid already, and hormonal birth control doesn't work for you (it turns ME into an emotional wreck half the time and a horrifying ***** the rest of the time) and obviously if you're not seeing multiple partners whose STD status might at any time be in question, I highly recommend it. It just sits in there, where it can stay for up to 10 years, you don't ever have to think about it except to occasionally check it's still there, and it's SUPER effective.