Previous strategy - no longer working.

Options

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A good scale and measuring cups will help, be as accurate as possible.

Personally it sounds to me like your long cardio may not be effective. Perhaps try a shorter period of time with higher intensity. Do intervals on the elliptical. I used to like to do about 5/6mph with a 10 resistance (out of 20 on the machine I used), and then up to 7/8 mph at 14-16 resistance and that's a routine that worked for me the first time I lost weight.

Also lift heavier weights for less reps to see more results there. I once read a gym session doesn't have to be long, whats more important is intensity. So maybe you can lift 20 lbs for hours but more growth happens if you could lift as heavy as possible until fatigue.

I feel like you're potentially not eating enough. Im a woman so it's different for us but men tend to need more to eat. Your log should have more detail, do you actually use MFP? I always have 5 or 6 individual entries for a meal: the lettuce measured in cups, chicken in ounces (measured on a scale), carrot slices, salad dressing measured in tbsp, a yogurt (i scan the label in), and sometimes almonds. I get a meal with carbohydrates, fats (dressing and almonds), and protein to keep me full.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BreederUK wrote: »
    Friday is weigh day. Lost 2.8kg this week.

9fr67wux7q6p.png

I bought a new Giant hybrid cycle. I read that cycling is HIT. I'm going to start going for bike rides every weekend morning.

It is HIIT (2 I's in this acronym). It stands for High Intensity Interval Training. Going bike riding can be HIIT, but the intervals may be what you are lacking, as well as the High Intensity part. You need to reach that high cardio heart rate at intervals (thus the high intensity), but only for bursts of time (like 30 seconds) with a slower pace (where your heart rate isn't in the red zone) for like 2 minutes, then back up for 30 seconds, and so on and so forth (back and forth). The cycling of your heart rate is what is going to kick start your weight loss again, not cycling in terms of bicycling. Please keep this in mind. Bike riding on the weekends would just add to your cardio and steady state activities. This is good, but may or may not help you in the additional weight loss area.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    is your last name Reeder? interesting.. my maiden name is reeder.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My mom's maiden name is also Reeder - are the 3 of us distantly related? LOL
  • BreederUK
    Options
    No its just a random nick. Breeder happens to be the name of a band I like.

1sisrat wrote: »
    is your last name Reeder? interesting.. my maiden name is reeder.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising for 2.5 hours every weekday. I want to add to my current workout routine. I think I need to do 30 minutes more strength training.

You're overdoing it in a big way. Not recovering properly will hamper your progress. Post about this in the Fitness section for input.

Also, your handwriting is lovely and very clear for a dude.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I wish bananas were only 75 calories. You appear to be underestimating what you are eating. You need to rethink how you are logging to improve the accuracy.

Yep. Mine today is 125 calories.

A food scale would definitely help with accurate logging. That being said, I had a banana a couple of days ago and it was 73 calories - 82 grams.
  • BreederUK
    Options
    I often get complimented on my handwriting - thank you for your kind words.

Disagree on overdoing it. I feel fine. I've been going for 14-16mile bike rides late at night. Its freezing cold and often raining but I'm loving it. I'm burning around 1500cals each ride according to my HRM.

w5ay5d24wkkz.png
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I enjoy exercising for 2.5 hours every weekday. I want to add to my current workout routine. I think I need to do 30 minutes more strength training.

You're overdoing it in a big way. Not recovering properly will hamper your progress. Post about this in the Fitness section for input.

Also, your handwriting is lovely and very clear for a dude.

• BreederUK
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've started weighing and logging my food with MFP. Love that MFP and FitBit sync Food logs / exercise with Fitbit.
    I've made my food diary public if anyone wishes to comment:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BreederUK
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've started weighing and logging my food with MFP. Love that MFP and FitBit sync Food logs / exercise with Fitbit.
    I've made my food diary public if anyone wishes to comment:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BreederUK

I'd still advise tightening it up a little, there can be a fair bit of variance between a banana from Tesco and a Banana from ASDA, always best to use the specific brand when possible! It's only a small thing at the moment, since this is day 1 logging on MFP for you, but that kind of thing can turn into a bad habit fast and really add up over the course of weeks / months.

• BreederUK
    Options
    I was considering making a change with more impact than changing the brand of banana.

I'm still not losing weight at my desired rate (0.75kg to 1kg per week). Problem is I already feel fatigued in the evenings but I think this is because I'm not getting enough sleep. I think I'd struggle with a daily intake of 1500 cals per day in the winter.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Vitamin D can help with your fatigue and levels are often not optimal in the winter without a supplement.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was considering making a change with more impact than changing the brand of banana.

I'm still not losing weight at my desired rate (0.75kg to 1kg per week). Problem is I already feel fatigued in the evenings but I think this is because I'm not getting enough sleep. I think I'd struggle with a daily intake of 1500 cals per day in the winter.

Accurate logging of the calories in and calories out is nothing but useful. Often it isn't gigantic sweeping changes that are needed, but the elimination of a collection of teeny tiny bad habits that seem insignificant on their own. The buying of the scales seems like it's been an idea you've embraced, that's about the biggest change one can make on their weight loss journey in my opinion.

That said, if you put all your stats and goals etc into MFP and let it do the guided goals for you, you'll either hit that target weight loss per week, or realise there are still inaccuracies to eliminate.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Id like to see your results of buying a scale and starting to weigh. If you do that please report back how off you were (if you were).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I find it's far easier to stick to a deficit when I sleep better and am more active on a daily basis, if nothing else. If it's a problem you can fix trying to fix the sleep issue might be a really good place to start while keeping everything else constant. (.75-1 kg is a reasonably aggressive goal for many people too, so if you are losing, just less, that's not terrible.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    No I'm not weighing foods they are estimates based on uniform portion sizes. Clearly, I'm underestimating my calorific intake. Will investigate food scales.

That is your problem. Get a food scale and accurately log.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Are you going to do this every day for the rest of your life? That seems absurd - for me that would mean less than an hour or two a day left after sleep, work, exercise, and the normal daily tasks like getting ready in the morning. The hard part isn't losing the weight - as you found, the hard part is keeping it off. You need to let your weight loss be good practice for how you will maintain weight, so you don't just keep yo-yoing. That's why a core tenet of my diet is that I won't do anything to lose weight I don't intend to do forever.

I started at roughly your weight and I could lose rapidly (over 1kg per week) on 1800 calories per day and zero minutes of exercise - that is weighing and logging everything accurately. I actually do around 150 minutes per week split between cardio and strength, but I also add +400 calories on those days.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep will hinder weight loss. If I only get 6 hours a night of sleep M-F, I might stay the same weight all week or drop slightly (and my rate is set to 0.5lb/week anyway). Once the weekend hits and I can sleep 8-10 hours a day, my weight rapidly drops (up to a lb or 2 sometimes). I have seen this as a pattern on my trendline every week. It is a weird but true phenomenon. :smiley:
  • BreederUK
    Options
    I am now weighing my food with a food scales and logging with MFP.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No I'm not weighing foods they are estimates based on uniform portion sizes. Clearly, I'm underestimating my calorific intake. Will investigate food scales.

That is your problem. Get a food scale and accurately log.