Saturated Fats daily Average

Options
cjwils169
cjwils169 Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I know there is good fats and bad fats, but it is still highly recommended that we keep at saturated fats down to 7-10% of our daily calorie intake. For me it is hard to maintain my weight, by hitting 2300 calories a day, and not go over the 7% in sat fats. Do you track this info and if so, what is your daily average ?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mine stays at or under goal almost daily. It's the rare occasion that I exceed my sat fat allowance. I eat a low-fat diet, though, so that helps, lol.

I look for fat-free products. I often use broths instead of oil to make my foods. I avoid foods that are high in fat. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean, white meats. At first, it was ridiculously hard, but it's become much easier. You get used to anything.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm over regularly. No issues as a result.
  • cjwils169
    cjwils169 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mine stays at or under goal almost daily. It's the rare occasion that I exceed my sat fat allowance. I eat a low-fat diet, though, so that helps, lol.

I avoid foods that are high in fat. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean, white meats. At first, it was ridiculously hard, but it's become much easier. You get used to anything.

Same here. My allowance is about 18-23 grams a day. I am average 14 or so. It is hard to hit 2000 calorie mark and no go over that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't track anymore so I don't have an average but when I was tracking I was always under the recommendation. Luckily, I don't care for fatty meat or full fat dairy.

My overall fat was a different story. That was usually high. I have worked to bring that down.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    cjwils169 wrote: »

I avoid foods that are high in fat. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean, white meats. At first, it was ridiculously hard, but it's become much easier. You get used to anything.

Same here. My allowance is about 18-23 grams a day. I am average 14 or so. It is hard to hit 2000 calorie mark and no go over that.

I wouldn't know, as I don't eat anywhere near 2000 calories, lol. I can imagine that it would be difficult! I stay very full on a lot less than that. If I had to eat 2300 a day, I'd be stuffed. There would be a lot of dried fruits, lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cjwils169 wrote: »

If your allowance is 18-23 and you average 14, what is the problem? Sounds like you could eat more and still be on track.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about saturated fats. I have a higher percentage of calories from than you do (75% to 80% daily) as it keeps my blood sugar great and makes me feel good.

The fats I reduce are PUFA (Polyunsaturated). They appear (at least from seed oils) to be too high in Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.

You should have the amount of fats in your diet that work for you, but I wouldn't worry about saturated fats.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/
    http://authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't trust authoritynutrition. I do trust Walter Willett and various others who have said things similar to what he does here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/

I am not especially concerned about saturated fat, in part because I've never had an issue with cholesterol and in part because causation and correlation are always hard to separate out, but I think they are a sensible thing to keep an eye on if one watches one's diet in general, and I do try to (and usually do) stay below my MFP number (which seems to come in at 8%). It helps that I eat a good amount of lowfat or skim dairy and lean meat (especially seafood), and also try to get protein from non animal sources (I'm working on doing more of the latter more regularly, as the one thing I don't like about how my diet changed when I started losing weight is that I increased my meat consumption).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sat fat in the bloodstream isn't related to sat fat intake so frankly WGAS. There are too many scientists out there with vested interests and positions to defend IMHO and Willett the Walrus is a prime example.