How do I thicken a cold food?

catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited November 2015 in Recipes
I have vegetarian chili leftover
Thursday is redbox movie night with a beer and dip.
Can I make this chili into a dip?
Without having to cook it?
Room temp or slightly cold dip is nice.
I have flour, baking soda, and self-rising yeast, and lots of flaxmeal.
_ I will be using a food processor
- Ok if I have to heat it

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Strain the chili using a colander and put the liquid into a saucepan.
    Heat liquid to rolling boil and reduce by 1/2 to 3/4. Remove from heat and stir in seasoned breadcrumbs, such as Panko, to make a mush. Let cool.
    Pulse strained vegetables in the food processer until chunky.
    Mix in breadcrumb mush.
    Chill and serve.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Adding a mix of mesa flour and water can thicken it up nicely.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    You could add a can of refried beans and some cheese. Or just blend everything up a bit. Do you keep TVP? It would soak up extra liquid and take on the chili flavor.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    You can add some Instant Mashed Potatoes (dry) just a little at a time. Even though they are potato the calories are not that high. We keep on hand for those days when there just isn't enough time. CyberTone your instructions are interesting, sounds like you're a good cook.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    If you don't want to heat it (which is what I'm understanding), you can mix in some cream cheese, Greek yogurt, or sour cream.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    None of my concern, but this doesn't sound very low calorie. Beer, cheese, refried beans, cream cheese and chips for the dip I assume..
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    steuartcj wrote: »
    None of my concern, but this doesn't sound very low calorie. Beer, cheese, refried beans, cream cheese and chips for the dip I assume..

Why does it matter? Not everyone wants low calorie food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    JTick wrote: »

Yup this.

OP - one of my favorite "football foods" is a dip with cream cheese spread in a pie plate, a can of vegetarian chili on top (not sure why vegetarian, that's just what the original recipe called for and it was delicious), top with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with fritos scoops.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JTick wrote: »

Yup this.

OP - one of my favorite "football foods" is a dip with cream cheese spread in a pie plate, a can of vegetarian chili on top (not sure why vegetarian, that's just what the original recipe called for and it was delicious), top with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with fritos scoops.

LOVE that one, but we use a can of turkey chili with no beans.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Chia seeds overnight.