Gym

Options
I have just joined a gym and not sure on how to start. I would like to lose 50lbs. Any ideas/tips on what I should be doing? I know cardio to lose weight before using any weights to tone and strengthen

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have just joined a gym and not sure on how to start. I would like to lose 50lbs. Any ideas/tips on what I should be doing? I know cardio to lose weight before using any weights to tone and strengthen

Not exactly. You will mainly lose weight by changing your eating habits. Cardio will give you some extra calories, but the main change in weight will happen from diet changes. Exercise is for fitness, health and "looking good". Ideally you need both cardio and resistance training, or some routine that combines both, regardless of weight. So, if you are interested in weight lifting and have chosen this as your strength training routine, start now along with cardio.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to start weights and strength exercise. While eating at a deficit, needed to lose weight, you will not gain much if any measurable muscle weight, but you can strengthen what you have. By incorporating weight or strength training you will help insure that you are losing mostly fat. When we eat at a deficit without weight or strength training we will lose more lean body mass along with the fat. Cardio helps with health and weight loss but won't prevent muscle loss. Think of optimal health as a three legged stool, one leg is diet, one leg is cardio, and one leg is strength training. You will be more pleased with your results if you engage each in achieving your end goal weight.
  • melissasoares
    melissasoares Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a diet along with going to the gym. I'm just a newbie. I have always been a somewhat muscular person naturally so I don't want to be doing too much strength training so I become butchy . If that makes sense
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a diet along with going to the gym. I'm just a newbie. I have always been a somewhat muscular person naturally so I don't want to be doing too much strength training so I become butchy . If that makes sense

Strength training will not make you "butchy." It requires a lot of work and dedication for a woman to gain muscle mass. You aren't going to do it by accident.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's extremely difficult to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. What lifting will do, however, is make sure you retain your muscle and focus more of the loss on fat.

Work with the trainer at the gym to get a feel on things, then look into a progressive lifting program like Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I had no idea what to do or which machines to try. I kind of wandered around like an awkward sheep. What really helped me was using one of the free training plans provided by bodybuilding.com. I think I started with Lee Labrada....something something.

You should give it a try! It's so much less intimidating when you go in with a plan!
  • melissasoares
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    When I first started going to the gym I had no idea what to do or which machines to try. I kind of wandered around like an awkward sheep. What really helped me was using one of the free training plans provided by bodybuilding.com. I think I started with Lee Labrada....something something.

You should give it a try! It's so much less intimidating when you go in with a plan!

Thank you I'll check it out
  • melissasoares
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's extremely difficult to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. What lifting will do, however, is make sure you retain your muscle and focus more of the loss on fat.

Work with the trainer at the gym to get a feel on things, then look into a progressive lifting program like Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Unstaffed gym but I'll look into getting a trainer. Thanks
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You'll want to start lifting now if muscle definition (tone) is an asthetic goal for you. It isn't "cardio to lose weight", it's a caloric deficit to lose weight. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, and gives you great burns, but you'll want to make sure strength training is included as well.

When we eat at a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. Lifting in that deficit works to preserve muscle so that we lose mainly water and fat. In doing so we strip away the fat covering the muscle we've preserved for better muscle definition (tone). You're not getting bigger, bulkier, or butch (not my word). That's not how it works. Plus, gaining significant mass (bulking) is exceptionally hard for females.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Unstaffed gym but I'll look into getting a trainer. Thanks

Look around the gym and see what equipment they have, bar bells, dumb bells, kettlebells, TRX, resistance bands, benches, or stools. Then look those things up on line or U-tube to see different exercises or work outs that incorporate the equipment to which you have access.
    If you see friendly people there working out, ask them or watch how they use the equipment. There are tons of friendly ladies at my gym who have been very helpful.
  • melissasoares
    Options
    Thank you guys. At least I kinda know what direction to go ☺
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like exercise classes because then you hold each other accountable. Does your gym offer classes?
  • melissasoares
    Options
    I like exercise classes because then you hold each other accountable. Does your gym offer classes?

No unfortunately . It's just a gym that's 24hrs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options

Most gyms give you at least one orientation session with a trainer when you join.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

pzv5j7l.jpg
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw this VERY helpful piece of advice out there that I got from one of the veterans.

"You diet to look good in clothes. You exercise to look good naked."

Translation: Controlling your food is what you do to lose weight. Exercising is what you do to make your body strong and healthy. The two are not mutually exclusive, but you could go to the gym every day for years and not lose weight if you're not in a caloric deficit.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Strength training will not make you "butchy." It requires a lot of work and dedication for a woman to gain muscle mass. You aren't going to do it by accident.

This is beautiful. Tried to say the same thing with too many words earlier. copying*
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Look for small group fitness classes they are cheaper than personal training and usually just 3-5 in the group

When I work out by myself I like to warmup for 5-10 on a machine then alternate high intensity exercises (trx kettlebell etc) followed by an interval on the treadmill or rower. I repeat that 3-10 times then cool down and stretch

Definitely having a plan before you step in the gym is a great way to go
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you decide to start lifting heavy (which i totally love to do, and you should try it!) make sure you either watch some form videos or get someone to show you. I do the 5x5 program. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Head up, eyes forward, and just do it! Be considerate to your fellow gym goers. Wipe down machines after you use them and don't do deadlifts in the squat racks =)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw this VERY helpful piece of advice out there that I got from one of the veterans.

"You diet to look good in clothes. You exercise to look good naked."

Translation: Controlling your food is what you do to lose weight. Exercising is what you do to make your body strong and healthy. The two are not mutually exclusive, but you could go to the gym every day for years and not lose weight if you're not in a caloric deficit.

lifting-weights-what-women-think-happen-what-really-happens-900x562.jpg