Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Does running make your legs bulkier?

Options
I started running a few weeks ago n noticed that my legs are getting bulkier. Ive lost 4 pounds. But I don't want my legs to appear thick.
Is running really make my legs bulkier ?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, running does not make your legs bigger.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nope. I run 25-40 miles a week and my legs are much smaller than when I started.
  • violetjin123
    violetjin123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have any ideas why it's getting bulkier? When I googled it, it said its water weight n I would lose it if I keep running. Some say it's because I'm running like a sprinter (high speed, low distance).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How much bigger are they?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Note the particularly bulky legs of runners...

kenyan_runners.jpg

shutterstock1067594481.jpg

5k-Specific-Training-Learning-from-Elite-Runners-PIN.png

1500m-London-460.jpg

no...running does not make your legs "bulky"....unless you have some other definition than I do.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If you look at runners, they're generally very thin with good muscle definition in their legs, but they're certainly not bulky. I walk on a treadmill on a pretty good incline 6-7 days a week and my legs are much smaller, although stronger. Strong doesn't equal bulky and huge.
  • violetjin123
    Options
    I can't describe how big but they are starting to get bigger. N I can feel my jeans getting tighter.
    Like I only want to have lean muscle. Not the type of muscle you gain when you squat.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Do you have any ideas why it's getting bulkier? When I googled it, it said its water weight n I would lose it if I keep running. Some say it's because I'm running like a sprinter (high speed, low distance).

I was a sprinter...it took me years as an athletic male to get "bulky" sprinters legs....

also, if they were getting bigger and bulkier, you would be gaining weight, not losing it...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I can't describe how big but they are starting to get bigger. N I can feel my jeans getting tighter.
    Like I only want to have lean muscle. Not the type of muscle you gain when you squat.

1 - you don't gain muscle mass when you're dieting...you are catabolic
    2 - all muscle is lean, squatting or not. i squat...my wife squats...our legs look normal.
    3 - you're likely retaining water
    4 - it is very difficult to actually "bulk" with a proper weight training program...never mind running. narry impossible.
  • violetjin123
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

2 - all muscle is lean, squatting or not. i squat...my wife squats...our legs look normal.
    4 - it is very difficult to actually "bulk" with a proper weight training program...never mind running. narry impossible.

If I'm retaining water, how do I get rid of it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You just need to be patient and wait.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If your muscles are retaining water, they need it. It helps in the repair process. Don't try to force your body to release fluid it needs. Wait it out.
  • violetjin123
    Options
    Should I keep running while waiting or only start running again after losing all those water.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Now that I have lost fat you can see the muscle definition better in my legs, but they haven't grown in size. My thighs are smaller than they used to be, and I lift heavy in addition to running.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

If your muscles are retaining water, they need it. It helps in the repair process. Don't try to force your body to release fluid it needs. Wait it out.

giphy.gif

OP...it means our body is functioning the way it's supposed to in order to repair itself...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your muscles fill with water and glycogen to repair muscle and provide energy.

Especially if you just started, you are likely retaining some water.

The only reason your legs look bulky is because the muscle you DO have is covered with fat.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Honey... you're female. Do you have any idea how HARD it is for women to bulk up? That is almost certainly not gonna happen to you unless you are going WAY out of your way to bulk up on purpose. Lean muscles, the kind you are talking about, are the ones you'll end up with if you don't go full-steam building/bulking plan. You don't have to worry about this. And you can do all the squats you want and STILL not have to worry about this. Women in particular have to take a whole bunch of extra steps to bulk out: the vast majority of us work out and end up SMALLER. Keep running, feel free to do some squats, and stop worrying.

As for why your legs are bigger now, you're probably packing some water weight. This could be just cause we do that, and it could also be the intensity of your exercise. Muscles getting broken down via exercise and rebuilding require quite a lot of water. It will go away. Running is excellent for you, please don't stop doing it because you're worried about something that is completely out of the realm of stuff you have to worry about.
  • laurenlmt
    laurenlmt Posts: 141 Member
    Options

You just need to be patient and wait.[/quote]

Good advice it took me about 1 months before I noticed any difference in my legs when running 4 times a week. And about 2 months from others :smile:
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    Drink more water if you are retaining water!
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    seriously though drink more water, if you dont log your water consumption you should. That is the healthiest way to get rid of water weight.