Little help?

Options
How many calories is everyone starting with?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to know? If it is to help you set yours it really won't help. Different people burn differing amounts of calories.
    If it is help setting yours you are after than post your height, age and how active you are each day plus your goal and current weight would also help.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know what was recommended for me. I get 1291 calories a day, right now. I don't actually eat 1291. It might be higher or lower, depending on the day.

How much you can eat depends on your age, height and weight. Then you get extra calories for exercise, so people might get even more, depending on how much they do.

The numbers will be all over the place. :)
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Same for me. It suggests 2200 a day and I average 14-1700/day.
  • XxMetalChiCxX
    XxMetalChiCxX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 i am allowed more but i really want to lose.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    1- Calories Output calculations are based on biological gender, height, age, weight, and level of activity. It doesn't matter what anyone else's figures are.

2 - It's not a race. It has been shown in research that too much calorie restriction sets us up to fail. We can't maintain too harsh of a restriction for any length of time. Thus, the yo-yo effects on the scale. Additionally, too much restriction increases the loss of lean muscle mass, which is not what we want to happen.

3 - We are most accurate when we scale our food. Turns out we estimate food amounts really poorly. Median error rate is 30% underestimation. We forget to log, cheat a little, or simply estimate incorrectly.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    As you've only got 34lbs to lose, set up your profile to lose .5lbs per week, and eat around 1/3 of your exercise calories back.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're going to be doing. Exercise etc etc. Personally - I failed miserably on 1200. Sure it worked for a couple of months of miserable hunger. As soon as I ate again though I packed it all back on and a bit more. So, the second time I was put on 1500 by my trainer/nutritionist (who said 1200 is crazy *kitten*) and even though it took me longer, I am now at a better than normal BMI and BF% and all that stuff people like to measure AND to top it all off - I am growing the muscles! Yeay! \m/ and I only responded to this thread because of your name.
  • XxMetalChiCxX
    XxMetalChiCxX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lmfao well thanks for responding camila. Thank you to everyone who responded to help me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 i am allowed more but i really want to lose.

1200 (before exercise) is MFP's default minimum. This is for nutritional purposes.

Do what you can do consistently. Losing weight takes time. Maintaining consistency is key. If 1200 is torture for you, then eat more. I don't eat much more, but I'm old.