Continue to lose weight or start maintaining?

Options
I'm 5'1 and my weight fluctuates between 106-110. I know, my weight is normal for my height but I do not look my weight. I feel as if I carry way too much fat in my midsection and I've been trying really hard to lose the excess belly fat. I've been doing at least 20 minutes of cardio, eating right, ect. I feel like I should continue to lose weight and then begin to bulk up. But some people are telling me that I should just try cutting. What should I do?! And is there any suggestions for my midsection to help me get a flatter stomach?

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a trainer or look up exercises for your problem areas, not cardio. Weights and exercises focusing on your midsection. I don't believe you need to "lose weight" at your current height and weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor if he thinks it would be healthy to lose more weight.

Until you get the OK, stick with your weight and work on toning the muscles in your belly - crunches, planks, six inches, weights in the gym, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Maintain, and if you aren't doing a progressive lifting program, start one now. You can't "spot reduce", contrary to what a previous poster said, but you can do a body recomposition.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You could try reducing grains and legumes. The bloat could be the culprit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Maintain, and if you aren't doing a progressive lifting program, start one now. You can't "spot reduce", contrary to what a previous poster said, but you can do a body recomposition.

^^This. You may want to visit the maintaining weight section and research body recomposition. If you're of a healthy weight, but think you're BF% is a bit too high, recomp is probably your best bet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Ask your doctor if he thinks it would be healthy to lose more weight.

Until you get the OK, stick with your weight and work on toning the muscles in your belly - crunches, planks, six inches, weights in the gym, etc.

^ This will do exactly nothing in obtaining the flatter stomach the OP is looking for. Fat can't be exercised and spot reduction isn't possible. As others have said, OP should look into recomposition. A good strength training program while at maintenance calories with an adequate protein intake. A good place to start is the recomposition thread started by @usmcmp, who knows her stuff and has the results to show it.