eating clean

Options
I am really wanting to learn how to eat clean. How do you do it and on a budget? It's so hard for me to figure out good recipes. Basically, all in all I WANT TO CUT OUT ALL PROCESSED CRAP, but I could really use some help!

Replies

• MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets! That's what I do! Nothing fresher than veggies!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am really wanting to learn how to eat clean. How do you do it and on a budget? It's so hard for me to figure out good recipes. Basically, all in all I WANT TO CUT OUT ALL PROCESSED CRAP, but I could really use some help!

There is a recipie book called "Eating body for life" or something like that by bill phillips, those recipe are pretty good.
  • LoraEllen
    LoraEllen Posts: 81
    Options
    I would go to Barnes and Noble or another bookstore where they have a huge selection of magazines. There is a great magazine called Clean Eating that has wonderful recipes and suggestions. Good Luck!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Plain old fashioned oatmeal and brown rice are cheap and "clean."
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I actually spend less eating clean. I buy beans and rice in bulk. My meat eating friends buy meats in the large family packs and break them up into smaller serving sizes.I shop part time in the farmer market or produce market and part time in the regular market. About once a month I hit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's maybe every 3 months. My basic rule is nothing with more than 10 ingredients, preferably 5 and nothing I need a science degree to read. Invest in a crock pot, mine is a cheapie from walmart that cost $10 and a food processor if you can afford it.

Google. There are loads of foodie blogs that talk about eating clean.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find once you start the "clean eating" like I did you'll be surprised to find you are eating less. I think it is because you are eating whole foods and you are getting much better nourishment. Anything like crackers, pasta, and such I buy organic. I now shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Since I eat less it is affordable, and I am currently unemployed. Good luck with your endeavor.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can also check out eatcleandiet.com and cleaneatingmag.com for more information and ideas.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    Sorry, I did see you were on a budget. I would at least start with fresh produce at the supermarket. Later you could switch to organics. Farmers markets are good. I planted raised beds in my backyard this summer. Next year I'm going to double the size.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    eating clean really isn't that expensive- and really it isn't recipes because you pretty much eat everything PLAIN! haha the first few days/week is hard, but you will seriously just FEEL so much better. Some people might try to do more recipe stuff, but I really don't have the time/drive to think of different recipes to eat. A lot of the foods I eat are brown rice, eggs, chicken, lean ground turkey, oats, sweet potato,protein shakes,apples and grean beans. My poor kids are going to love going to other peoples houses because I make the same thing every day haha, well good luck :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    eating clean really isn't that expensive- and really it isn't recipes because you pretty much eat everything PLAIN! haha the first few days/week is hard, but you will seriously just FEEL so much better. Some people might try to do more recipe stuff, but I really don't have the time/drive to think of different recipes to eat. A lot of the foods I eat are brown rice, eggs, chicken, lean ground turkey, oats, sweet potato,protein shakes,apples and grean beans. My poor kids are going to love going to other peoples houses because I make the same thing every day haha, well good luck :)

I don't eat plain at all. I am having a blast exploring new recipes and food combinations.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    My friend Kris is a wellness warrior and has an awesome website called "CRAZY SEXY LIFE" - please check it out for all kinds of great healthy food ideas....support, etc. !! :bigsmile:
  • LCantrell
    LCantrell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    bump :)
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I love my veggies and have great fun just messing around with them! I buy fresh from the markets but because im on my own while hubby is oversas I have started buying frozen. They are just as yummy and hold nutrition just as well as fresh and last longer = cost efficiant! Meat I buy from a butcher and fish from a fish monger and to freeze and defrost as I want it :-)
  • pauljsolie
    Options

How do you prepare your sweet potatoes? I'm looking for a good way to make sweet potato fries.
  • RDH0513
    Options

How do you prepare your sweet potatoes? I'm looking for a good way to make sweet potato fries.

plain haha when I do have them, I just pop them in the microwave/oven and thats it.
  • RDH0513
    Options

I don't eat plain at all. I am having a blast exploring new recipes and food combinations.

how cool is that!!!!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you eat the same food over and over again, you're neglecting vital micro nutrients. You need variety in your diet, to stress your metabolism from different angles. Think of all the different textures of carbohydrates, some are harder to digest than others.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I always heard, Shop the "perimeter" of the store and stay out of the middle.

Try and be creative, especially with chicken and veggies and the grill, some wonderful creations come out of experimenting.