help! i smoke and want to quit asap

Options
Where to start
I have tried patches,e cigarettes. Chinese herbal therapy, sprays and going cold turkey

I ride 10-20 miles a day do at least 2 hours of intense exercise a day

I do not run as I really don't like it I do multiple sprints with jogging for a 1km interval and again the smoking has an effect on my breathing but not so much

To everyone that knows me they say that guys strong/ fit etc

But inside I'm far from healthy and would like to change that asap any tips or tricks to help me would be deeply appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What country are you from?, if you are in the UK you can go to the NHS and they will help you quit smoking....
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I set a date in the future about 4 months ahead and told everyone I would stop on that date. When the date came, I had no choice but to stop (I was smoking 20 - 30 a day)
  • hupsii
    Options
    might add... I have never smoked since
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    might add... I have never smoked since

Very good. Congrratulations. Keep it up. if you haven't noticed, you will soon, you'll be feeling great. Getting your wind back, able to do more and not get as tired. The money saved is merely an added bonus. Take the money you have been spending on smokes, put it in a jar and in a year go somewhere nice.
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies I'm from London and have done the nhs quit smoking program and that didn't work

The date setting sounds like a good idea I'll try that
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    My husband quit (he LOVED smoking) with Champix. I think it's called chantix now? It's a 6 week program, which he didn't complete because he found he was dreaming in technicolor and it was making him too tired, but it got him over the initial cravings/difficulties.
  • hupsii
    Options
    Thanks for your replies I'm from London and have done the nhs quit smoking program and that didn't work

Good luck - if you really want it , you can do it ! Just never, ever, have another one ... quitting smoking is easier than losing weight .
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband quit (he LOVED smoking) with Champix. I think it's called chantix now? It's a 6 week program, which he didn't complete because he found he was dreaming in technicolor and it was making him too tired, but it got him over the initial cravings/difficulties.

My mom quit using that medication. It worked great (hasn't smoked since), but said the dreams were just ridiculously weird...
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My GF used e-cig/vaping to quit. Gradually stepped down nictotine to 0%, then just stopped altogether. She said it helped her gradually get used to having less and less nicotine, plus keeping the e-cig charged all the time was a enough of a pain to make smoking a tedious activity for her.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    +1 on Chantix (and the screwy dreams). I used it to quit 3 years ago after countless failed attempts.
  • thebozz7
    thebozz7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's everything in your mind I used to smoke not as much as you do but at the end of the day it's smoking, what did it take for me to one days say enough well set my mind to that simple your mind controls your whole buddy train it to do the right thing I every time that I want it to do it again I fell bad because I had train mind to stop this addiction and must importantly your slowly shorting your days by doing that hard but that's the reality I didn't want to end up speaking through a whole some time we need to realize what we are doing to our buddy's thing about it this is all we have you damage it you can't take back to repair shop!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I used a vaporizer to quit ( don't buy the cheap ecigs they really suck) spend on the good stuff. Get yourself set up with a good mod,tank and liquid and then you can wean down monthly. I haven't smoked in 2 yrs
  • FutureGains
    FutureGains Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Use a Vale pen with an e-liquid that doesn't contain nicotine
  • FutureGains
    FutureGains Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vape pen
  • Al48feelingreat
    Options
    Yup

Thanks for all the advice will take that all on-board

Kind regards
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like maybe you arent ready yet.

I smoked for over 20 years. Tried giving up several times, with the best of intent, and failed every time.

Over the last year or so I cut down to about 5 a day. Then I started to stop smoking the whole thing. And even so I couldnt shake it.

And then one day something just clicked in my head, I was ready for it. Got a nicorette spray and used that as a substitute, a couple of weeks later stopped using that as well. Its been easy. Bizarre, huh? Considering it was impossible up until now.

A bit like losing weight, when you are ready to do it it comes quite easily I think.

• Al48feelingreat
    Options
    You know what I think you hit the nail on the head right there!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A buddy quit by using Chantix, he'd tried most everything for 25 years, Chantix worked first time. Another friend used a vap to get off the cigs, he's nicotine free but keeps vaping. I quit using fear, I'd had severe C-spine issues and the pain was indescribable, neurosurgeon said to expect more events like I'd had, that last cig was it for me, too chicken. Good luck, I will tell you after I quit life got very good