Weight Loss Supplements - What do you take and do they work?

Options
SuzyOnTheScale
SuzyOnTheScale Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been taking CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) capsules and L-Carnitine powder for the past month and noticed a change in my appetite and body. I eat less, look leaner, and have more energy at the gym. Both of these supplements can be found in whole foods but in small amounts so I wanted the benefits without eating a ton. I know that weight loss supplements are not miracle workers. You still need good old fashion diet and exercise to lose weight, but supplements can help show faster results.

My question for you is what supplements do you take and what effects have you noticed?

[Edited by MFP Moderator]

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have yet to see convincing data that supplements do more than diet and exercise for fat and weight loss.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The only supplement I take is protein and fish oil. Protein if I don't hit my protein goals, and fish oil everyday as I feel like it makes my brain clearer.

Most supplements designed for weight loss don't do anything that a regular caffeine pill won't do.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    as previously posted.. no and no. there is no magic pill! its all about diet and exercise.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see convincing data that supplements do more than diet and exercise for fat and weight loss.

The fourth Doctor knows what she's talking about. :)

Really, if it helps you mentally, then good for you.....
  • SuzyOnTheScale
    Options

For sure! I totally agree that diet and exercise is the key to lose weight but I believe that supplements can assist in the process. Many people assume that just by taking a pill, they will lose weight without changing their current lifestyle.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Supplements can probably make you feel good, if you're deficient in something in your diet, but there is no evidence they do anything to aid in weight loss. The ones that do work hurt/kill people and are swiftly pulled from circulation. If they make you happy and don't harm you, that's cool. Being happy is a pretty good aid to weight loss.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    While this isn't a supplement it did stop my sugar cravings. I've been taking one 5000 iu of vitamin D a day because my physical showed I had a vitamin D deficiency and I live in a northern state and my cravings for sweets literally disappeared overnight.
  • SuzyOnTheScale
    Options
    While this isn't a supplement it did stop my sugar cravings. I've been taking one 5000 iu of vitamin D a day because my physical showed I had a vitamin D deficiency and I live in a northern state and my cravings for sweets literally disappeared overnight.

Vitamins are great health supplements. I always have a sweet tooth so I'll give that a try. Thanks for your input!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Do I take any? Other than some vitamins, no. Do they work? As an aid to weight loss, no.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

The fourth Doctor

I wish that I had the patience to knit an actual Dr. scarf, sadly weaving in all of those ends is too daunting.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. Just eat real food. Or believe the hype and make someone else richer.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have been taking CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) capsules and L-Carnitine powder for the past month and noticed a change in my appetite and body. I eat less, look leaner, and have more energy at the gym. Both of these supplements can be found in whole foods but in small amounts so I wanted the benefits without eating a ton. I know that weight loss supplements are not miracle workers. You still need good old fashion diet and exercise to lose weight, but supplements can help show faster results.

My question for you is what supplements do you take and what effects have you noticed?

Outside my normal multi, vitamin D, fish oil, etc...I take BCAAs and L-glutamine to keep from losing lean muscle as I work out and fast. I am seeing fantastic results, especially with post workout muscle recovery. I strongly recommend the research of BCAAs to anyone who activity strength trains.

I've been taking Yakon syrup for about three weeks now and it has helped me tremendously with bloating issues.

I just recently started Creatine monohydrate. I've been extremely hesitant because of potential water weight gain, but I'm confident enough with the research I've done that it will work well for me.

The key taking any supplement is to make an informed decision. Do not take something just because you know someone who knows someone who it swears on the stuff. Do your own research and make an informed decision before you take anything.
  • House_Cow
    House_Cow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just like the other dude, I use protein powder on some days + I take a cod liver oil capsule every day for general health :)
  • SuzyOnTheScale
    Options
    Outside my normal multi, vitamin D, fish oil, etc...I take BCAAs and L-glutamine to keep from losing lean muscle as I work out and fast. I am seeing fantastic results, especially with post workout muscle recovery. I strongly recommend the research of BCAAs to anyone who activity strength trains.

I've been taking Yakon syrup for about three weeks now and it has helped me tremendously with bloating issues.

I just recently started Creatine monohydrate. I've been extremely hesitant because of potential water weight gain, but I'm confident enough with the research I've done that it will work well for me.

The key taking any supplement is to make an informed decision. Do not take something just because you know someone who knows someone who it swears on the stuff. Do your own research and make an informed decision before you take anything.

Do you use Yakon syrup to replace sugar?

I've also read about Creatine and have been hesitant to try it. I also do strength training but I do not want to build muscle too quickly underneath my fat because it will probably make me look even bigger. What are your goals with taking Creatine?
  • sdcamp3020
    sdcamp3020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you have health issues that contribute to easy weight gain. I use GTF Chromium because I am insulin resistant. My morning sugars have gone down from around 190-200 to 105-115 since I have been taking this. I, also, take Stinging Nettle Root and Saw Palmetto to combat the symptoms of PCOS and Vit. D for a deficiency. These have made losing weight, with proper diet and exercise, a little easier. I take a few others but they have no effect on weight. The most important thing is to know your body and what works for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I've also read about Creatine and have been hesitant to try it. I also do strength training but I do not want to build muscle too quickly underneath my fat because it will probably make me look even bigger. What are your goals with taking Creatine?

Seeing as a woman can only put on about .5lbs of muscle per month, I don't think you have to worry about bulking up too quickly.
  • SuzyOnTheScale
    Options
    sdcamp3020 wrote: »
    Depends on if you have health issues that contribute to easy weight gain. I use GTF Chromium because I am insulin resistant. My morning sugars have gone down from around 190-200 to 105-115 since I have been taking this. I, also, take Stinging Nettle Root and Saw Palmetto to combat the symptoms of PCOS and Vit. D for a deficiency. These have made losing weight, with proper diet and exercise, a little easier. I take a few others but they have no effect on weight. The most important thing is to know your body and what works for you.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
    Hornsby wrote: »

Seeing as a woman can only put on about .5lbs of muscle per month, I don't think you have to worry about bulking up too quickly.

Oooh I didn't know that! Thanks for the information :smile:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I found glucomannan and love it. Not a weight loss supplement, it's just fiber. I add it to my protein mixes and hot cereals to thicken it up, and I'll take some before I eat at night with water. It's a soluble fiber that absorbs quite a lot of water, so it'll soak up all the water before you eat and help you not eat so much, maybe. It doesn't always work but it does an adequate job.

I'll add it to my favorite hot cereal, and It will literally double the serving size without changing the flavor at all, so I trick myself into thinking I'm eating more of it without all the calories. I use it as a thickener for gravies and stuff, too, so I can cut the amount of flour or corn starch I use in half.

It's not a diet pill or magic, it's not anything but fiber, which I find helps me get and stay full longer and helps cut calories in some recipes without sacrificing flavor.

Other than that, I take b vitamins and protein powder.
  • SuzyOnTheScale
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I found glucomannan and love it. Not a weight loss supplement, it's just fiber. I add it to my protein mixes and hot cereals to thicken it up, and I'll take some before I eat at night with water. It's a soluble fiber that absorbs quite a lot of water, so it'll soak up all the water before you eat and help you not eat so much, maybe. It doesn't always work but it does an adequate job.

I'll add it to my favorite hot cereal, and It will literally double the serving size without changing the flavor at all, so I trick myself into thinking I'm eating more of it without all the calories. I use it as a thickener for gravies and stuff, too, so I can cut the amount of flour or corn starch I use in half.

It's not a diet pill or magic, it's not anything but fiber, which I find helps me get and stay full longer and helps cut calories in some recipes without sacrificing flavor.

Other than that, I take b vitamins and protein powder.

How many scoops of glucomannan are you adding to double your cereal? Are they kind of like chia seeds?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I put one to two teaspoons in whatever I'm doing with it. Two is good for my smoothies or gravies, maybe three if I'm doing a large amount. It's just a fine powder, looks very much like corn starch or flour, but it's slightly off-white in color. I get a bag of powder off Amazon. You can get it in capsules to take like a supplement, but I don't care for them and even when I did have them, I would just break them open and pour the powder into whatever I was making. I mainly use it as a thickener. And it has no calories. :) That's the best part.