Windy first half marathon - Eek!

Options
Hey guys,
So I impulsively agreed to do a half marathon two weeks ago, and it's this Sunday. I have been steadily increasing my mileage over the last couple of months and have run a couple of 10 miles (one was a race) and they haven't felt hard at all. But this is 3.1 miles more and they are forecasting 24-35 mph winds!!
I'm not really sure if I'm looking for tips or encouragement...I just wanted to tell people because I am freaking out a little :/

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It would be ideal to train in the same conditions you'll race in, but that's not always possible with weather. You can think of running into the wind as being like running uphill. That's not a precise comparison, but it will give you a frame of reference for how much added effort there might be.

If you've run a 10 mile race and it wasn't hard, your body can run a half marathon. You might find the last 3 miles or so to be a mental challenge, but you can do it physically.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Positive side is maybe it will be behind you...lol...
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    At least you won't have to worry about overheating :smile: High winds on a long run aren't really all that bad physically, but the noise and the random gusts mess with your mind. If the wind is in your face, find someone going about your pace (preferably someone taller) and get close behind them -- no rules against drafting.

Kind of reminds me a half I did a few years back -- part of the route was down a dirt road. There had been torrential rains the night before, so all of us ended up running part of the race with a few extra pounds of mud attached to our shoes. Not many PRs that day. I definitely would have preferred high winds.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

For serious. At least let's hope the last 3.1 miles has it behind you. I think you'll do fine. Typically it's not as windy in the morning so maybe you'll get lucky.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    I'm doing my first 10k on Sunday and am also freaking out about the weather forecast
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You can always draft people. Seriously. Running in the middle of a group of people will definitely cut down on the wind.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm racing a BOAT tomorrow... a rowing shell, not a sailing boat, in rain and high winds, again. At least we've had a couple of weeks of spectacularly awful weather to train in.

#keepcalmandrow(orrun)on
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep finding bigger people to run behind. I always found that to be a useful strategy.
  • barbh2001
    barbh2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10mi, I'm sure you can run 13.1. I've only run a few halfs, but my general running strategy/mental trick is... if I know I can make it halfway, I know I can make it home. Even if I have to walk/run. Which I never have because with everyone running and the excitement/encouragement of the race and the people, I just keep running.

I haven't run a race with high winds. The drafting strategy (and covering your ears) sounds like gold.
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    For serious. At least let's hope the last 3.1 miles has it behind you. I think you'll do fine. Typically it's not as windy in the morning so maybe you'll get lucky.
    Haha! Yeah, It's actually two loops, so I was thinking at least half the race with have a back wind.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    If you've run a 10 mile race and it wasn't hard, your body can run a half marathon. You might find the last 3 miles or so to be a mental challenge, but you can do it physically.
    Yeah, I think I found the 10 miles not too hard, because I'm pretty good at pacing myself, it's definitely the mental challange I'm worried about :/
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    I'm racing a BOAT tomorrow... a rowing shell, not a sailing boat, in rain and high winds, again. At least we've had a couple of weeks of spectacularly awful weather to train in.

#keepcalmandrow(orrun)on
    Are you rowing tomorrow then? I used to row in school and loved it! Good luck :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will make sure I follow that drafting advice, sounds like a plan.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    You can always draft people. Seriously. Running in the middle of a group of people will definitely cut down on the wind.

This definitely works. I attribute an age group win at a windy race a while back, to being smarter at drafting than the 2nd place guy :)

• michellepearson224
    Options
    So how does this work? You basically just run in the middle of people?

Weather forecast in Leeds has improved a little - less windy.
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I did my half marathon today! It was super windy - gusts of up to 45mph winds, but as it was two loops we did get a break for the 2nd and last 1/4. Didn't have much luck drafting, as the crowds thinned out quite a bit :/ but I am very happy with my time of 2:14:16!
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Well done that's fantastic! I did my 10k and am happy with my time of 69 mins 10 secs
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Now you'll never be afraid of running in the wind.