Getting frusterated

I have been bouncing between the same 5 pounds for the past few months. I have been really good and sticking to 1200 calories a day and I am STILL fluctuating up and down on the scale. Sometimes I wonder why I am even trying....seems like my body wants to keep me fat forever lol...Being overdramtic, but it feels good vent :)

Any advice on how to jump start weight loss again??

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

All of this.

Can you make your food diary public? If it's a logging issue (it's almost ALWAYS a logging issue), seeing whih entries you're picking in the database as well as checking out the units of measure you're using can help people point you in the right direction. If you've been eating at 1200 for more than a month, you really should have seen some progress. 1200 is pretty low to have seen no progress at all.
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    hollyhappyhealthy Posts: 23 Member

All of this.

Can you make your food diary public? If it's a logging issue (it's almost ALWAYS a logging issue), seeing whih entries you're picking in the database as well as checking out the units of measure you're using can help people point you in the right direction. If you've been eating at 1200 for more than a month, you really should have seen some progress. 1200 is pretty low to have seen no progress at all.

• hollyhappyhealthy
    I have been really good about logging. I have been making sure if I scan, I check the label and match it. I have not been eating my exercise calories....half the time I choose not to add them because I don't feel like it is always accurate and I don't want to over eat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I have been really good about logging. I have been making sure if I scan, I check the label and match it. I have not been eating my exercise calories....half the time I choose not to add them because I don't feel like it is always accurate and I don't want to over eat.

Okay. Well, I made 8 points and you responded to three of them. As @CoffeeNCardio said, it would help if you could set your diary to public (if you're comfortable with that). Otherwise we're all just guessing.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    That would be SO frustrating! If you are consistently eating a calorie deficit and logging faithfully and still haven't lost weight in a few months then you've really plateaued. If it were me I'd take up to a week eating maintenance calories and then cut back again.

Also, have you taken measurements? If not, maybe you've lost inches, which is even better than losing pounds. Have you noticed any changes in how your clothes fit?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    If you want detailed advice you need to set your diary to public
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member

But you're not losing weight. You should have lost like 12-18 lbs by now. If you were really eating only 1200 and you're not adding your exercise calories, something else is going on Holly.

This is NOT about shaming your food choices or letting people tell you what a bad girl you are for eating Mcdonald's on Friday or whatever. I will gladly verbally eviscerate and report anyone who tries to nag you about your food choices. That's not what this is about. This about getting you on the right track so you don't have to feel defeated anymore. No one should have to put in all this effort and not be allowed to reap the rewards because of some minor thing in the logging. And for all we know, without being able to see your diary, your loggin could be beautiful and spot on and then we might be looking at a medical problem or something. There's lots of good reasons to keep your diary set at Public.

If you're worried about people nagging your food choices, I happily invite you to check out my TOTALLY PUBLIC food diary where I consume 300+ calories of coffee with cream and sugar a day, and have several days in a row eaten cookies and candy. I'm not ashamed. I've lost 18 lbs. And I owe every single gram of that to letting people help me figure out why it wasn't working initially. We really do want to help.
  • meh3479
    meh3479 Posts: 4 Member
    I have been bouncing between the same 5 pounds for the past few months. I have been really good and sticking to 1200 calories a day and I am STILL fluctuating up and down on the scale. Sometimes I wonder why I am even trying....seems like my body wants to keep me fat forever lol...Being overdramtic, but it feels good vent :)

Any advice on how to jump start weight loss again??
    I'm getting frustrated too. It was great reading the tips.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    That would be SO frustrating! If you are consistently eating a calorie deficit and logging faithfully and still haven't lost weight in a few months then you've really plateaued. If it were me I'd take up to a week eating maintenance calories and then cut back again.

Also, have you taken measurements? If not, maybe you've lost inches, which is even better than losing pounds. Have you noticed any changes in how your clothes fit?

If she hasn't lost weight then it's more likely that she's not in a deficit, and that she's actually already eating at maintenance.

Again, use a food scale. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Food scale?
  • hollyhappyhealthy

I have taken measurements and have gone down in size of clothes....so maybe I'm doing better than I thought. Just frusterated when I want the number to go down! I'm trying not to focus too much on the scale, but it's hard!!! Like I said...I will lose for a few weeks and then it's like bam! back up a few pounds and then it takes me another month to lose.
  • hollyhappyhealthy

If she hasn't lost weight then it's more likely that she's not in a deficit, and that she's actually already eating at maintenance.

Again, use a food scale. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

I DO have a food scale which I use religiously. I weight everything and check the nutritional info as i put it in.
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    I feel like I should have never posted anything....Man...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I feel like I should have never posted anything....Man...

why?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2015
    OP, unfortunately we don't know any of your stats and we can't see your diary, so the only thing we can assume is that the issue is logging errors. Unless you are VERY short and small, you should be losing weight consistently eating only 1200 calories - that is the absolute minimum you should be eating. Losing weight is a science, calories in- calories out.

If you are weighing everything on a food scale, logging everything, not eating back exercise cals, and are absolutely sure you are using correct entries, then you should see a doctor.
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, unfortunately we don't know any of your stats and we can't see your diary, so the only thing we can assume is that the issue is logging errors. Unless you are VERY short and small, you should be losing weight consistently eating only 1200 calories - that is the absolute minimum you should be eating. Losing weight is a science, calories in- calories out.

If you are weighing everything on a food scale, logging everything, not eating back exercise cals, and are absolutely sure you are using correct entries, then you should see a doctor.

Yep...I am seeing a doctor in December. I understand where everyone is coming from. I can't say I am 100% perfect ALL the time, but I have really been trying hard to stay on track and log things correctly.

I guess I was looking more for some support and encouraging words.....or what helped you personally to jump start your weight loss after plateau.

Just so everyone knows, I was doing weight watchers and lost 30 pounds...then my weight loss stalled so I decided to try MFP. I do understand the science of it...

And no, I am not short or small...unfortunately, average height and over weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Yep...I am seeing a doctor in December. I understand where everyone is coming from. I can't say I am 100% perfect ALL the time, but I have really been trying hard to stay on track and log things correctly.

I guess I was looking more for some support and encouraging words.....or what helped you personally to jump start your weight loss after plateau.

Just so everyone knows, I was doing weight watchers and lost 30 pounds...then my weight loss stalled so I decided to try MFP. I do understand the science of it...

And no, I am not short or small...unfortunately, average height and over weight.

I guess I would say then, re-examine your logging and make sure you are on point there. And then hang in there until you find out if there are any medical issues throwing off your numbers. If you end up not knowing what else to do, before you give up out of frustration, I would strongly suggest at that point, making your diary public and hearing what people have to say. I have seen many posters who insisted their logging wasn't an issue, who found out their logging was an issue.

Please don't take anything here personally, we are all playing the numbers game together and reacting out of experience. Best of luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member

For me, any time I've plateaued it's been due to inconsistency. Inconsistently logging/weighing foods. Inconsistently exercising. Inconsistently wearing my FitBit. Inconsistently sleeping. I've personally never had to "trick" or "jump start" my body into losing weight, I just had to be consistent. Sometimes I get bored with what I'm doing and start a new regimen or way of eating (like switching to keto or vegan for a while or drinking green juice every day). But really, it's just so I'm not bored. Being patient and trusting my body has been key for me. And adding new exercises or new foods gives me something to focus on other than a scale that doesn't move. Having fun with my plan/system helps me stay engaged in the process when I feel hopeless. Patience and consistency. That's the only thing that works for me ever.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I had to play around with calories to find the groove.