Food finds! Post here your new food discoveries - surprisingly low calorie? Low fat? Tell us!!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like Columbus nitrate free turkey bacon, (Costco) it is 45 cal a slice. I chop it up and cook with egg whites.....just a little extra protein and flavor

Isn't regular bacon about the same as that? I know the center cut bacon is, not sure about regular but I was thinking it wasn't more than 50 cals/slice. I just find turkey bacon to be such a poor substitute for regular, but if you enjoy it, or are avoiding the regular version for other reasons, then great! I always think bacon gets such a bad rap!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Ball Park makes a fat-free turkey hot dog that is 40 or 45 calories. It doesn't taste as good as regular, high-cal, high-fat hot dogs, but it's pretty good. And non-fat! :)

Must find! I love hot dogs :) Thanks for the heads up!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I accidentally bought organic/free range/cage free/brown eggs..... I will be shelling out the extra dollars for them from here on out. They're creamy and taste so much better. I can eat them scrambled with a sprinkle of cheese- 195 calories for two plus the cheese, with 15 grams of protein.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    "Ole" brand "Extreme Wellness" High Fiber, Low Carb Tortilla Wraps. They are 50 calories each! They used to be 90 but per the package it looks like they've updated their ingredients and lowered the calories quite a bit. I use them a lot now.

What?! I'm going to check that out today. That's what I buy, but I haven't seen them for 50 yet.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Low sodium roasted bacon from Kroger. 60 calories for 2 pieces. It has less fat too. Its not as good as normal bacon but its ok if you really want lower calorie bacon

Trader Joe's has delicious natural bacon for the same 60 cals for 2 pieces.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Ball Park makes a fat-free turkey hot dog that is 40 or 45 calories. It doesn't taste as good as regular, high-cal, high-fat hot dogs, but it's pretty good. And non-fat! :)

Applegate farm hot dogs are only 80 calories or something, and delicious.
  • DragoonKite
    DragoonKite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Quaker has a line of popped rice cakes, almost like round rice chips. Good variety of flavors. Serving size is 18 chips for only 130 kcal
  • kathyelizabeth87
    kathyelizabeth87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All of these are great everyone! Keep them coming! :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon to just about everything. It adds a sweet/spicy flavor with no calories or fat at all. Instead of eating an apple, sprinkle some cinnamon on it and cook it in the microwave till it's soft. "Baked" apple for the same nutritional count as a plain ol' apple! I even sprinkle cinnamon in my scrambled eggs before I cook them - it sounds weird but it gives them a whole different flavor that somehow makes them taste more substantial.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Quaker has a line of popped rice cakes, almost like round rice chips. Good variety of flavors. Serving size is 18 chips for only 130 kcal

Sweet Chili are my favorite!

Hormel Turkey pepperoni - 70% less fat than regular pepperoni. Texture is a little stiff, so I just cut slices into quarters before putting on my pizza.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Product_dblchocolatemini116-929581.png

delicious, satisfying, and only 170 calories each. soooooo worth it, and one definitely hits the spot.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    the Yasso greek yogurt bars are pretty good and low calorie too. Edys slow churned ice creams are usually only 130 calories to 150 calories depending on the flavor you choose and really tasty- ENJOY
  • luvwords1996
    luvwords1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pretzel Crisps now come in a mini size. 42 minis to a serving for 110 calories. Usually I'm content with a 1/2 serving. Combine them with Dave's salsa that I get at Wal-Mart. The salsa is only 10 calories for 2 tablespoons. Delicious!!
  • Francl27
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    the Yasso greek yogurt bars are pretty good and low calorie too. Edys slow churned ice creams are usually only 130 calories to 150 calories depending on the flavor you choose and really tasty- ENJOY

I tried yasso, it ended in the trash, honestly. Love Edy's though.
  • chloexoxmae
    chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I add cole slaw mix in my salads. You find it in the produce with the bagged leuttce.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Today I found 'Butternut squash soup with apple' from publix deli, its apparently like 250 calories per 8oz?
    HECK YES
    I am very happy :)
    I enjoyed that soup SO.VERY.MUCH. I will be keeping an eye out for it again. However, I wish I knew if there was a canned version so I can have it when I so want.
    Time to google! :)
  • SarahTheEntwife
    SarahTheEntwife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe last night and I am now doing this with squash all the time:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/10/unflinchingly-good-things/

The vinaigrette looks a bit annoying to prep, but I can confirm that it is just as delicious if you misread the instructions and dump everything in the baking dish and cook it all together rather than separating the oil and pouring the sauce over at the end. ;-)
  • Tatergobbler
    Tatergobbler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Explore Asian Black bean pasta
    25g protein for 180 cal
  • Francl27
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »
    Today I found 'Butternut squash soup with apple' from publix deli, its apparently like 250 calories per 8oz?
    HECK YES
    I am very happy :)
    I enjoyed that soup SO.VERY.MUCH. I will be keeping an eye out for it again. However, I wish I knew if there was a canned version so I can have it when I so want.
    Time to google! :)

Shop rite has some too and it's the bomb. I need to figure out a good recipe for it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Halo Top, by far the best low calorie ice cream, 250 calories per pint :D