Getting frusterated

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When the scales stop moving for more than 3-4 weeks (my water weight bounces about and does a lot of masking) then I always know it's down to me sliding a bit on the logging. It happens when you've been at this a while. Consistency and honest logging are really the key.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a break. That's how I "reset" my diet. A nice, long diet break. Except for more bread, I didn't really change what I ate. I just didn't weigh or log anything. A few months later, I went back to dieting and the weight started coming off quickly again. :)

If you open your diary, you may get some good tips! But but be prepared for comments - some helpful ones, some less than helpful ones. Without even seeing the diary, though, we all know one thing: If you aren't losing, you need to eat less, move more or both.
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    hollyhappyhealthy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Maybe you need a break. That's how I "reset" my diet. A nice, long diet break. Except for more bread, I didn't really change what I ate. I just didn't weigh or log anything. A few months later, I went back to dieting and the weight started coming off quickly again. :)

If you open your diary, you may get some good tips! But but be prepared for comments - some helpful ones, some less than helpful ones. Without even seeing the diary, though, we all know one thing: If you aren't losing, you need to eat less, move more or both.

Thank you! Yes, I have been thinking I may need to take a break and regroup....not give up, but take a step back from logging and tracking. :)
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    hollyhappyhealthy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When the scales stop moving for more than 3-4 weeks (my water weight bounces about and does a lot of masking) then I always know it's down to me sliding a bit on the logging. It happens when you've been at this a while. Consistency and honest logging are really the key.

I will work on this this next week :) I will double and triple check everything and track EVERYTHING!!
  • jtbaldwin
    jtbaldwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Plateau's can be very frustrating...but they do happen even if you're under calorie goals. Sometime around May this year I hit one for about a month right above my "overweight" BMI threshold. I eventually broke through it for no apparent reason. I attribute it to our bodies having to take some time to "rearrange" some things before it can continue with the weight loss. I think the initial advice given here is very sound..but I'll add my 2 cents.

First, if you are losing inches, I wouldn't worry at all about the scale. Inches in my opinion are more important than the pounds. Secondly (and to double-down on my belief) I'd suggest adding some strength training to your routine if you haven't already. Your body may have found a sort of homeostasis and you need to find a way to change the ingredients to force your body into making a change. Strength training, whether it's body-weight exercises (I like Mark Lauren's Bodyweight Training App) or lifting weights at a gym will build muscle and help you burn more fat. It doesn't immediately make the scale drop, but it will help you become leaner and stronger.