Gained it all back!!

Options
Hi there!! Starting it all over again.
I lost 23 lbs a few years ago and it's all back. I was still do the same thing over. Eating healthy and working out, then I was diagnosed with a low thyroid and the weight came back. Is there any hope for me??? I'm off to the gym now but not so motivated anymore. :(

Replies

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You've got this! You're off to the gym, that's a great start :smile: I too had to start over. It's been slow going, but it's going.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Even with the low thyroid, you can still do it!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I've basically decided that if I want to keep this weight off, if I don't do anything else, I have to weigh myself regularly, and log everything I eat.

If I don't log everything I eat, I at least have to weigh myself regularly, and if I see the weight creeping back up, then I have to go back to logging. I'm convinced that awareness and a certain degree of constant vigilance is key to all of this over the long term... even though I'm fairly new here still.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I've basically decided that if I want to keep this weight off, if I don't do anything else, I have to weigh myself regularly, and log everything I eat.

If I don't log everything I eat, I at least have to weigh myself regularly, and if I see the weight creeping back up, then I have to go back to logging. I'm convinced that awareness and a certain degree of constant vigilance is key to all of this over the long term... even though I'm fairly new here still.

I agree. Losing weight is about calories. Keeping weight off is about behavior. Besides monitoring my weight, I keep a "food diary" (i.e. I log without worrying too much about calories) because it nudges my self control.

OP, you can do this: because you are declaring yourself not strongly motivated, and because you have other problems, you might want to take a look at pre-planning your meals. Good Luck!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I need to log everything and exercise in order to lose. You can do it! :#
  • lnoodles
    lnoodles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lnoodles wrote: »
    Hi there!! Starting it all over again.
    I lost 23 lbs a few years ago and it's all back. I was still do the same thing over. Eating healthy and working out, then I was diagnosed with a low thyroid and the weight came back. Is there any hope for me??? I'm off to the gym now but not so motivated anymore. :(

Diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most common cause of low thyroid) on October 2 (as well as diabetes and a severe vitamin D deficiency).

I'm down 15.3 lbs since then (I have way more than 7.7 lbs left to go). So yes, there is hope for you.

• kzelaya26
    kzelaya26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hope this helps everyone!
    Putting in the right fuel – and at the regular intervals during the day – is one of the best defenses against nighttime nibbling. Breakfast and lunch meals should provide plenty of protein to keep your mind sharp and hunger at bay as well as some healthy carbs like fruits, veggies and whole grains to maintain blood sugar. A protein shake with fruit is a great way to start the day – otherwise, try an egg white omelet with fruit, a dish of plain nonfat yogurt with fruit, or a quick bowl of oatmeal with some protein powder stirred in.

A protein shake also makes a quick and satisfying lunch, especially when you're too busy to stop and prepare a meal. Other good choices? Try a salad with some grilled chicken or fish, or a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with some fruit for dessert.

When energy starts to slide in the afternoon, one tactic that works is to have a substantial snack – almost a "second lunch" – between lunch and dinner. A protein shake or bar, a half sandwich, some soy nuts, or a dish of cottage cheese and fruit are all appropriate choices.

By putting more nutritional emphasis on your daytime meals and snacks, it's likely you won't be nearly as hungry at night, so your dinner meal can be lighter and smaller.

The next time you feel like "midnight munching," think about the benefits of a healthy, protein-powered snack earlier in the day. The nutritional difference will be like night and day
  • kzelaya26
    kzelaya26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this is from herbal life,but you dont have to do herbal life to follow this ^^
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kzelaya26 wrote: »
    hope this helps everyone!
    Putting in the right fuel – and at the regular intervals during the day – is one of the best defenses against nighttime nibbling. Breakfast and lunch meals should provide plenty of protein to keep your mind sharp and hunger at bay as well as some healthy carbs like fruits, veggies and whole grains to maintain blood sugar. A protein shake with fruit is a great way to start the day – otherwise, try an egg white omelet with fruit, a dish of plain nonfat yogurt with fruit, or a quick bowl of oatmeal with some protein powder stirred in.

A protein shake also makes a quick and satisfying lunch, especially when you're too busy to stop and prepare a meal. Other good choices? Try a salad with some grilled chicken or fish, or a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with some fruit for dessert.

When energy starts to slide in the afternoon, one tactic that works is to have a substantial snack – almost a "second lunch" – between lunch and dinner. A protein shake or bar, a half sandwich, some soy nuts, or a dish of cottage cheese and fruit are all appropriate choices.

By putting more nutritional emphasis on your daytime meals and snacks, it's likely you won't be nearly as hungry at night, so your dinner meal can be lighter and smaller.

The next time you feel like "midnight munching," think about the benefits of a healthy, protein-powered snack earlier in the day. The nutritional difference will be like night and day

There is nothing wrong with eating in the evenings or at night, as long as you are within your calorie limits for the day. I do use protein shakes on occasion (usually when I need something quick and balanced, or if I am doing a heavy workout and don't want to be throwing up), but prefer eating my food. It's more satisfying to have something more solid in my belly. This is an individual thing. Plenty of people are successful eating two to three meals without snacks. Again, all individual preference.