People don't believe you

Options
Many people will ask if you had bypass surgery and then tell you you're lying when you say it's just a complete life style change.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give much thought in to what people think.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Unless there is something out of the ordinary (for example, you start eating only very small amounts of food at a time), no one is likely to think or say this. Neither I nor anyone I know who has lost weight has ever been accused of lying about how they lost weight. People are usual genuinely interested in your eating and exercise routine when you get results. Of course, if you have surgery this is your private business and you don't need to share or make up other reasons.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If that happens to me I'm going to say I joined a cult and all they fed me was rice and beans for two years.

The expression on the doubter's face will be worth every possible negative social consequence!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    People don't want to see that this takes hard work.
    They want the easy way out. That's why pills, mlm shakes, and all that junk is so popular. People want a quick fix. There is no quick fixes though. For long term success, hard work is necessary.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 154lbs and the first thing people ask is when I had gastric surgery... no-one believes I did it all on my own with just the help of MFP
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 154lbs and the first thing people ask is when I had gastric surgery... no-one believes I did it all on my own with just the help of MFP

Wow, you have lost sooo much weight! Awesome achievement :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

Wow....well done. Mention calorie deficit to people if you really want to confuse them.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever asked me if I had surgery. But, when people ask me how I did it and I say that I simply counted my calories, they often seemed amazed by that. Then they usually start talking about some special diet or pill or detox that they heard about.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

That's incredible. Well done.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Most people don't know anything about losing weight, you can attempt to educate but if they still act like a jerk then cut them out of your life.
  • CactusFlower527
    CactusFlower527 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When you lose a lot of weight - people WILL ask you how you did it; that's just natural. The nosiest thing anyone ever asked me is that if I was losing weight because of a "health scare"... I just laugh and tell them I know people that have had health scares that still don't improve their lives! I do know these types! they would rather take an rX--cholesterol meds for example) rather than drop 50 lbs and get healthy and possibly be able to go off of them entirely. There is really no quick fix for this .. it is counting calories and being aware of EVERYTHING that you stick in your mouth .. what and how much. It isn't even "WHEN" - just expending more calories than what you are eating. No magic. No pill can do this! It IS hard work and it IS "DISCIPLINE" - until a person wants to make this change.. and REALLY want it... they will always be looking for an "Easy Way Out".
  • CactusFlower527
    CactusFlower527 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

You are an inspiration to us all .. good work!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Touché. Great job, girl!!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    If that happens to me I'm going to say I joined a cult and all they fed me was rice and beans for two years.

The expression on the doubter's face will be worth every possible negative social consequence!

Blooming genius
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Some people have no discipline and therefore assume neither has anyone else.

Someone else lost weight when I am on this super great fad diet every second month then stuff myself again and don't lose any? Must be their fast metabolism, drugs, surgery or magic.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much yet (10kgs) and whenever I say counting calories they say "no! What's the real secret? What pill, potion, diet fad did you really use?"

I say hard work, weighing my foods, entering it into the data base ect and they still think there's some magic trick
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    When I first started showing that I was losing weight a couple of people asked me how I was doing it and I told them that I was counting calories and using an app (MFP) to do so. Their response was that they tried counting calories but it seemed like too much work. I told them at first it seemed tedious but then when I started actually losing weight it became easier. Also, since the app is on my phone that is pretty much glued to my hands, entering my food is simple because I'm on my phone anyway. Candy crush can wait 2 minutes while I enter my lunch. Lol. They just continued to make excuses. Everyone wants easy and right now. It isn't until you accept that it really is a lifestyle change and that it won't happen overnight that you can finally be successful. I knew I wanted to be hotter and healthier. I was going to get there no matter how long it took.
  • hlehmann
    hlehmann Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Awesome job!
  • MacHaloC
    MacHaloC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital. When I hit about a 65 lb loss, one if the nurses cornered me to ask if I had had surgery. I guess she wanted to know which Dr. I used. I was dumbfounded.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Nobody has ever asked me if I had surgery. But, when people ask me how I did it and I say that I simply counted my calories, they often seemed amazed by that. Then they usually start talking about some special diet or pill or detox that they heard about.

Same here. I have been asked ONCE if I had surgery, but it was a woman who refuses to change her eating habits at all and spends literally hours per week on the treadmill trying to lose weight (she's lost very little). I mentioned (in the course of facebook conversation) that I'd never actually been on a treadmill (which is true) and she private messaged me "How did you lose all that weight then!? Did you have surgery!?"

But yeah. Usually people just drop the topic immediately if they ask how I lost the weight and I say "counting calories and eating a little differently". That is not what they want to hear.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!