Garden of life Vs Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you are in Canada check out Vega One.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like vega one, but some people object to the stevia taste. I just override that sweetness by adding a little additional unsweetened cocoa powder or Italian instant espresso. I really don't see why the shade for an occasional protein shake.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like Vega as well, but it's pretty expensive. Isn't it about $60 for a tub? :/
  • scolaris
    Options
    The medium size can I just bought was on sale for $35/can. Yes, the giant can is about that I imagine. I was trying it out... I usually fund those big purchases (like a big pack of meat at Costco too) by stuffing $5 or $10 in an envelope for a few pay periods & then buying when the remainder feels like a comfortable amount. It really does provide a lot of nutrition though for the money.
  • scolaris
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I work weekend mornings at a caregiving job where I do a lot of cooking for my client. I had a vega one shake with banana, Greek yogurt, and ice on my drive out around 7:00 am, prepared a full English breakfast for her & spent the rest of the morning cooking several complete meals around some fresh trout her SIL caught and I haven't felt even ONE hunger pang... For me a shake is sometimes the best thing. I'll need to grocery shop for my own family on the way home & the earliest I'll have lunch is 2:00. With some types of work you are just too rushed on your feet to stop for a meal. If a protein shake or bar keeps you comfortable that seems okay.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Shakeology, but I did try Garden of Life's Vanilla Raw Fit High Protein Powder (the Vitamin Shoppe sells individual serving packets so I picked one up). Honestly? The stuff was by far the most horrible thing I've ever tried!!! It was the first protein powder I couldn't even finish, it tastes disgusting and has a really chalky texture to it. Do yourself a favor and try a packet of it before committing to an entire tub. It. Was. Gross. I don't see how anyone could like it, but I mean, if they sell it then SOMEONE must like it. You may, who knows. Go for it. Just be warned!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life.
  • Strawblackcat
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I've never tried Shakeology, but I did try Garden of Life's Vanilla Raw Fit High Protein Powder (the Vitamin Shoppe sells individual serving packets so I picked one up). Honestly? The stuff was by far the most horrible thing I've ever tried!!! It was the first protein powder I couldn't even finish, it tastes disgusting and has a really chalky texture to it. Do yourself a favor and try a packet of it before committing to an entire tub. It. Was. Gross. I don't see how anyone could like it, but I mean, if they sell it then SOMEONE must like it. You may, who knows. Go for it. Just be warned!

The trick is to use much more liquid than called for by the package (over 1/2 cup extra) and to ALWAYS use a shaker bottle. Refrigerating it makes it get thicker too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought MFP was for people who wanted to eat well and embrace a healthy lifestyle. Instead it is flooded with overpriced shakes and propaganda about convenience and food deserts. And the mods allow it. Wow. Just wow.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Oh they let people talk about fast food and Halloween candy too. Oooh the horror!!! ~passes smelling salts~
    Maybe you need to go lie down on your fainting couch a spell!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Oh they let people talk about fast food and Halloween candy too. Oooh the horror!!! ~passes smelling salts~
    Maybe you need to go lie down on your fainting couch a spell!

Ok, this made me laugh.

But, considering this thread is almost a year old, I'm curious how @Lola824 is doing with their weightloss goals.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Who knows? Statistically speaking, probably not well... ;-)
    I jumped in because there was a recent question about one I just tried & liked.
    But are you sure you want to talk to me? I'm certainly a bad influence... ~shuffles feet & looks at the ground~
  • scolaris
    Options
    A school nurse I work with (who does medically fragile special ed for six hours followed by residential rehab for four hours... She's a bloody saint in terms of patience & attention to detail) just started Shakeology. It sounds expensive to me.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options

The trick is to use much more liquid than called for by the package (over 1/2 cup extra) and to ALWAYS use a shaker bottle. Refrigerating it makes it get thicker too.

I actually did use a lot extra water, in addition to some ice because I blended it o: It was just very unappealing to me. I usually use Quest's protein powders made with whey and casein, and as far as plant based protein powders go the only two I've tried were Plnt (which I also didn't like too much, but was considerably better than this brand) and Nature's Plus Spiru-tein blueberries & cream protein powder (which I adored).
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for plant based protein shake, I found this to be the best.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/

• Strawblackcat
    Options

I actually did use a lot extra water, in addition to some ice because I blended it o: It was just very unappealing to me. I usually use Quest's protein powders made with whey and casein, and as far as plant based protein powders go the only two I've tried were Plnt (which I also didn't like too much, but was considerably better than this brand) and Nature's Plus Spiru-tein blueberries & cream protein powder (which I adored).

I've found the Raw Meal doesn't blend well in a blender. Shaker bottles work better. Also, it's better when mixed with milk or almond milk or something similar instead of water. It improves the texture. If you wanted to use it in a blender, you're going to need to add a frozen banana or something.

I tried the cookies and cream Spirutein once. I really liked the taste and texture, but me feel crappy for the next couple of days. The Garden of Life Organic Plant Protein is pretty similar to Spirutein, at least as far as texture is concerned. It's much smoother and less thick than the Raw Meal. It's also newer, so it's more expensive, though. :(
  • hlehmann
    hlehmann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Garden of life. Shakology is great but cost way too much. I the garden of life comparable to the vegan shakology. I too mix with extra liquid as find it a little rich for my liking. Great replacement for someone with whey powdered issues.

To those knocking meal replacement, some of us were previously nonbreakfast eaters. Meal replacement shakes are a simple way for us to get the nutrients we need without over eating at our normal meals.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hlehmann wrote: »
    Garden of life. Shakology is great but cost way too much. I the garden of life comparable to the vegan shakology. I too mix with extra liquid as find it a little rich for my liking. Great replacement for someone with whey powdered issues.

To those knocking meal replacement, some of us were previously nonbreakfast eaters. Meal replacement shakes are a simple way for us to get the nutrients we need without over eating at our normal meals.

You dont need to eat breakfast. Why not make a healthy breakfast instead of a shake?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    garden of life is also not cheap... and to be honest... tastes and textures horribly. I've tried all flavors since I work in the industry and am a plant based athlete. I second trying to fill up goals with real food if possible... if not... just try different powders until you find one you like. There are many options and a quick google search should help you out in finding some.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life but sometimes the texture isnt nice. Say no to the Raw Fit blend (its like sipping dirt) and go with either the raw protein you can mix stuff in or the raw meal. I also like Ultimate Meal and the Orgain powder that I can mix for a good replacement or healthy snack.

The shake routine is nice for those running low on time or dont like making things but if you do have time, omelettes with a fruit bowl or acai bowl or waffles baby.