Why are squats easier than bench press?

Options
Hi, I am doing the stronglifts 5x5 program and I am finding that the squats are a lot easier to go up in weight than the bench press which I find a struggle, is it down to form or is it just normal for squats to be easier? Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Legs are stronger than arms and chest. It's that way with almost everyone. Usually you plateau on bench press and overhead press far earlier than squats or deadlifts.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Because your lower body is stronger than your upper? More muscle mass down there? Could be form, could be a million other things too. Only way for anyone to evaluate would be for you to post some form videos.
  • flashy0070
    flashy0070 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your replies! I will check my form and just keep on trying!
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I bench more then I squat
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options

Do you squat and bench at the same frequency and volume or do you train bench more?
  • flashy0070
    Options
    On the stronglifts 5x5 program you squat every workout and you bench every other workout, so I am squatting twice as much as bench pressing?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

unless you have an infirmity that you're waiting to unveil after someone responds, it sounds like you need to squat with more weight, with more frequency, and with more focus.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    generally speaking, people's lower bodies are stronger than their upper bodies...your legs carry around a lot of weight all of the time.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

unless you have an infirmity that you're waiting to unveil after someone responds, it sounds like you need to squat with more weight, with more frequency, and with more focus.

Yup. I do know many benchers who clearly bench more than they squat or pull, but their leverages are simply perfect for benching. I'm happy to have finally moved off of team bench more than I squat in the last couple weeks.

As for the original question, for the very vast majority of people, your squat will be a stronger lift than bench. More muscle moving the weight.
  • flashy0070
    Options
    But why is it easier to go up in weight?
    I understand that in general you will lift more with your legs but I find my squats go up every time but my bench does not go up as frequent?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    flashy0070 wrote: »
    I understand that in general you will lift more with your legs but I find my squats go up every time but my bench does not go up as frequent?

I'd be willing to bet on a form issue. It's far easier to muscle out a couple kg on a squat with not fantastic form than it is on bench.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're doing diet - wise but I've found that upper body lifts tend to stall more quickly than lower body when I'm in a deficit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, it took me a year to double the weight I was benching. In that same span, I tripled my squat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

because that's how it is? like the same reason the sky is blue and water is wet? would you be happier if you struggled more on squats so that they were just as hard to progress on as OHP?

your legs are a much larger muscle mass system than what you use to bench. they're also better adapted to recover and improve. but trust me, you will eventually hit a wall where adding a 1 pound plate to each side brings failure. you just aren't there yet.

so while the good times are flowing, enjoy it and keep progressing on the good stuff and keep fighting on the hard stuff. other than that i don't understand what type of answer you're looking here. just go work out.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think the answer has more to do with the muscles involved. Typically, the largest muscles in your body (barring some genetic issues or traumatic injuries) are the ones that are the main movers in the squat. By comparison, the main movers in the bench press are a smaller set of muscles.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    The shoulder is a messy, contrived complex of muscle, tendon, and ligaments and is just not as efficient as producing the force it takes to move as heavy of weights.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Either (1) Because you're closer to your max weight on the bench than you are on the squat, (2) because of your form/technique, or (3) the nature of the lifts... muscles involved, range of motion, etc etc.