best sandwich meat for convenience and lest sodium

I am looking for something for open face sandwiches I can buy at the store with lest amount of sodium and best nutritional value.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    A low-ish salt brand like Boar's Head. Add some fresh veggies to make up for the salt on the meat -- like fresh tomatoes or cucumbers.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Well, not sure what store or brands are available at the store. Best bet would be to read the nutrition labels and compare the sodium on each to find one that best suits you.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Well, my store doesn't sell open faced sandwiches so I have no clue. However, MFP has a calorie database that you can utilize for this very purpose.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I'd just roast my own chicken and slice it up for sandwiches.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    You could ask at the counter - they should know which ones are lower in sodium than the others. But all deli meat is going to be high in sodium, even the lower-sodium ones. You'd be much better off cooking your own meat and making your own sandwiches.

Some delis have pamphlets that help you compare nutrition info.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Roast chicken, roast turkey or roast beef.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Well, not sure what store or brands are available at the store. Best bet would be to read the nutrition labels and compare the sodium on each to find one that best suits you.

Bingo! Read the labels op and pick one that suites your nutritional needs and taste.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Cook your own, cut your own. Get a vacuum sealer (love ours). You control what's on and in the meat and other foods sealed.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Pretty much all deli meat is high in sodium. It's how they preserve it. I'd suggest cooking your own. Get a turkey breat from the store, roast it, and slice it for using in lunches. You can freeze "packs" of slices (10-20, with wax paper inbetween slices to prevent them from freezing together) to keep them from going bad and just thaw out a pack whenever you want to make turkey sandwiches for a few days.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    You can rinse canned tuna under running water. A significant amount of sodium washes away (up to 80%). At the deli, where the tuna salad is already made, I doubt you can do anything to reduce sodium. A vegetarian option would be your best bet in that regard.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'd roast your own turkey breast then slice it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    I second Boar's Head and New York Deli Patrol if you can find it. Great tasting with lower sodium and no nitrates.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I use no-salt added tuna. 65mg of sodium.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited November 2015

Roast a small chicken. enjoy leftovers. Easy to freeze and put in little freezer bags. I get weeks worth from a small roasting chicken
    Barring that...cant go wrong with packaged chicken, turkey breast...read labels.
  • SuequehannaWakiya
    SuequehannaWakiya Posts: 10 Member
    In Australia Don have a low sodium English shaved ham. After a while of eating it my husband says everything else tastes too briny.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I like applegate brands of lunch meat kind of pricey but still have pretty good macros. There is a low sodium lunch meat sold at krogers as well.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Ideally find a deli that roasts their own turkey breasts & roasts. No nitrates, no fillers, no slimey texture and no annoying flavorings slathered on. Best damn sandwiches you'll make!
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    edited November 2015
    Make a pork or beef roast or turkey breast. I do mine in a covered frying pan. Season with pepper, onion and garlic powder. Brown in butter on both sides and then add a couple cups water. Simmer 2-3 hours or until tender. Let it completely cool and then slice for sandwiches or whatever. Store in a covered container in the fride. Way better than from the deli counter! Freezes well in a zip lock bag too! Take one day a week and make a couple different meats. You'll be all set.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    cooking your own is definitely the lowest salt, and IMO the tastiest. But, other than that, if you have an Aldi's or a Target, they both have brands of "lower" sodium lunch meat. Aldi's is Fit n' Active, and I think the Target one is just labelled "Healthy" or something like that. Check the label and compare to the other kinds that they have.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Crock pot. Brown in a pan, throw in some veggies and onions. Bam, good food seasoned how you like it.