Lack the mobility to do any lower body/back lifts.

Options
Sutnak
Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I lack the mobility for any lower body exercises.
And mobility exercises seem to be making it worse.

Not sure what to do.

Examples: I can't grab the deadlift bar without rounding my back.*
Squats are a mess about half way down.

* Unless I basically squat down to pick it up, but that's way, way wrong.

Things I've tried:
Thoracic bridge.
Static stretching (only a little)
Foam rolling (a lot)
All kinds of stuff with a band/ball/roller as described in 'Becoming a Supple Leopard'
I forget the technique, but there's a thing where you squeeze the stretch then relax down. - I THOUGHT this was helping, but I think it's only accelerating my problems.

If I try and touch my toes, from standing, without rounding my back, I just barely reach my knees.

If it matters, I'm tall. 2 meters.

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Rack pulls.. shrugs bent rows Ect Ect. All work lower back and legs
  • Sutnak
    Options
    Yeah, been doing rack pulls and stiff legged deadlifts almost exclusively, but I want to do the real thing again.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How's your basic hinge? Hinge assessment tool One leg dead lift. Yes it will be lighter than a regular dead lift or squat but you are looking for a corrective.
  • dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If your mobility exercises are making your mobility worse you are doing them wrong. It is very common you just need to find someone to show you how to do them. Also stretching is not a mobility exercise it is a flexibility exercise which is still important. Look up some dynamic stretches and dynamic warm-up routines.
  • Sutnak
    Options
    My hinge is about 15 degrees.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Do you have a specific condition or are you just not flexible? Either way, what about gentle yoga to increase flexibility?

How's the leg press for you?
  • Sutnak
    Options
    don't own a leg press, so don't know. I built a powerlifting gym in my garage.

I do have a bulging lumbar disc, but I don't think it's contributing.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Sutnak wrote: »

Not sure what to do.

Maybe it's time to hire a professional to get a proper assessment and a customized plan. I'd see a sports physical therapist, or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree or certified with NASM-CES.

If you can't or won't see a pro, then upload videos of yourself squatting & deadlifting.

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga DVD called "Yoga for the Rest of Us" that I think would be beneficial to you. My local libraries carry it.
    Don't laugh when you look at the cover. The workouts are short and provide modifications using a chair and other props to help people that lack balance and / or flexibility.
    I've found that with flexibility issues,
    Consistency is key. Meaning that shouldn't push yourself to the point of pain or even deep discomfort because that's not likely to help you. Rather try doing a little something everyday and you will start to notice progress as time goes by.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 is a nice general mobility video. He really coaches through the demonstration.

http://barbellacademy.com/joe-defrancos-limber-11-a-flexibility-routine/
  • Sutnak
    Options
    Have seen a pro, they put me on a foam rollong regimen. Will check out those links.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and offer no medical advice, but you might want to investigate the work at originalstrength.net/. They seem to have helped a number of people with mobility issues with something that seems so simple.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You should consider posting some form videos, a lot of the time it's just a technique adjustment that can make all the difference in the world.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely add in yoga sessions that hit your problem areas for most of the session (they can be DVDs). Don't push too far in one go! That might be why you feel that what you've tried makes it worse.

It doesn't have to be yoga at all, but that's just the most pleasant way to get like 40 minutes of it per session, imho. That's another reason you just can't push too hard, because it should be comfortable for all 40 minutes ;) At least 3x a week (or shorter more often, but too short won't be gentle enough).

In your case, I'd try to do more standing hinge-type moves than the seated ones, because the seated ones can pull your pelvis out of place if you are that tight. That will make it worse, too.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Not sure what to do.

Maybe it's time to hire a professional to get a proper assessment and a customized plan. I'd see a sports physical therapist, or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree or certified with NASM-CES.

If you can't or won't see a pro, then upload videos of yourself squatting & deadlifting.

Yes, absolutely this... It makes no sense to try alternate forms of lower-body exercises when the goal should really be to fix your mobility issues. Being able to deadlift or squat aside, mobility issues cause your body to not work correctly. If one or more muscles are inhibited or deconditioned, then other muscles are going to over-compensate for that deficiency which can lead to other problems and other injuries.

Cherimoose's recommendation regarding where to seek help is right-on the money.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Have you tried re-attaching your feet to your knees?
  • Sutnak
    edited November 2015
    Options

I can't figure out which way they are threaded... Left one is reverse thread?

Tried Agile 11. I can max out all the hip flexor stuff without feeling the stretch. Everything else though, whoa tight.

I have been looking for a sport-specific therapist. Outside of general PT which I've seen.
    All I can find are chiros.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Tried Agile 11. I can max out all the hip flexor stuff without feeling the stretch. Everything else though, whoa tight.

I have been looking for a sport-specific therapist. Outside of general PT which I've seen.

I don't know that you need a sports-specific therapist. What happened with the "general" physical therapist? What did they say? Do? How long did you go?
  • Sutnak
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I don't know that you need a sports-specific therapist. What happened with the "general" physical therapist? What did they say? Do? How long did you go?

Did 4 (hour) sessions. She put me on to foam rolling. It never really did anything for me.