Weightlifting Gloves

Options
I wanted to pick up a pair of gloves as the bar is starting to give me a callus on each hand. Anyone have a suggested brand/model? Should I get something with wrist support?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Get a pumice stone and take care of your calluses, skip the gloves.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Get a pumice stone and take care of your calluses, skip the gloves.

Yup. I have enough problems getting a good grip on the bar, gloves would just make things worse. I use chalk to help keep my grip and just groom my callouses.

It doesn't help that I also ring bells, which boils down to pulling on a hemp rope for a few hours a week; my hands are pretty nasty.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Gloves add another layer between your hand and the bar affecting your grip strength and how much you will be to ultimately to lift, i.e. in the deadlift, snatch, etc.

Learn to manage your callouses. I keep an emory board in my car and file them down when stuck in traffic when they become too hard. Also, moisturizer. On the days I don't lift I keep my hands supple -- cracked bleeding skin does you no good.

For wrist support, I wear Titanium Wrist Straps.

Titanium-Front-Cross.jpg

And to aid my grip in the gym, I apply Liquid Grip because using chalk there is not really an option.

liquidgrip15oz.jpg

Callouses do not have to be an issue with lifting if you learn to manage them correctly. In fact, callouses, when managed, can become a great asset and your best friend.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've just accepted the callouses, the front of my hand is pretty and I have a dope manicure, and then palms up i'm gross lol
  • _benjammin
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    I've just accepted the callouses, the front of my hand is pretty and I have a dope manicure, and then palms up i'm RAWR
    FTFY

• _benjammin
    Options

And to aid my grip in the gym, I apply Liquid Grip because using chalk there is not really an option.

liquidgrip15oz.jpg

I need to get some of that. I have to be sneaky and then wipe down the bar and my hands before removing the weights.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

liquidgrip15oz.jpg

I need to get some of that. I have to be sneaky and then wipe down the bar and my hands before removing the weights.

Well worth the investment... which reminds me, time to restock.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I only use gloves on sub-max deadlifting. It helps some with tearing up of the hands and actually makes me feel like I have a much stronger grip if I do try a 1RMax without gloves. I just use a pair of mechanics gloves.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    I've just accepted the callouses, the front of my hand is pretty and I have a dope manicure, and then palms up i'm RAWR
    FTFY

:D
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Skip the gloves. Calluses are just a part of lifting. I find gloves throws off my grip too much. Would rather have the calluses than drop a bar on my head :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'll go against the grain. I like gloves. I just buy cheap ones from Dicks normally and replace every couple months. I have baby hands or something cause that *kitten* hurts when I don't wear gloves and I have no interest in "fighting through" just for the sake of it. Would rather just wear gloves.
    resized_idon-tcare-meme-generator-i-don-t-care-i-do-what-i-want-anyway-13003d.jpg
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    No gloves here either. Barely take care of my callouses other than filing down if one is about to rip. They actually aren't that bad either. They were worse when I was at a commercial gym with crummy bars. I guess the combination of chalk and awesome bars is sweeter in more ways than I thought.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No gloves. Dang..I don't use chalk or take care of my calluses either. Am I supposed to care more?

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No gloves. Dang..I don't use chalk or take care of my calluses either. Am I supposed to care more?

I could make some snarky comment about some women just letting themselves go to hell. But not with that profile picture.
  • arditarose
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

I could make some snarky comment about some women just letting themselves go to hell. But not with that profile picture.

Lol. Well my hands may look like crap but I try to keep everything else together.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Use gloves.... keep your hands smooth and sexy for the woman in your life. I use Harbinger...I got it at Dicks Sporting Goods.

They also carry Nike but I found them to be overpriced and fragile.

R
  • arditarose
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    Use gloves.... keep your hands smooth and sexy for the woman in your life. I use Harbinger...I got it at Dicks Sporting Goods.

R

But when I see a guy using gloves in the gym I'm usually turned off. Unless it's Hornsby he can do what he wants.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    gv1j3j8kk9ou.png

^^THIS ^^
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »

R

But when I see a guy using gloves in the gym I'm usually turned off. Unless it's Hornsby he can do what he wants.

Yes, but just as women aren't looking to get picked up at the gym, neither are the men... it's outside of the gym that counts...lol