Gaining weight in spite of counting calories!!

Options

Replies

• FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do not trust the calorie burns that MFP calculates. They are very high. Most people have found success only using 50-70% of what MFP says. If you are eating back the calorie burns posted in your profile, I would guess that is part of the problem.

Also, if the weight gain was minimal, after eating out, it could have been from eating a meal with increased sodium.

Plus...it's only been two weeks, right? Be accurate and consistent with your logging and the weight will come off.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much !! This absolutely helped to give me more motivation! I'm very strictly logging but I do drink much more than I used to. Also it is true that yoga is not a sport to burn calories - but it definitely builds muscles..... I can feel the pain while doing it and after ;) ! Thanks again and I'll keep you updated

If you want your yoga efforts calculated, consider getting a fitbit or similar device. It can help estimate caloric burn (yes, yoga burns calories) for activities not listed in the database, or non-cardio activities.

A fitbit will not help calculate the calories burnt during yoga. The movement is too smooth, and counts a yoga movement as a step, which it is not.
    In my opinion, the fitbit is just a glorified pedometer. I had one, and returned it after a few weeks because my phone did a better job than the Fitbit did.
    Since then, I've bought a heart-rate monitor, which will accurately count the calories burnt during exercise. However, remember, not all burnt calories are equal.

Not true. My fibit calculates yoga, it has a heart rate monitor. Fibit is NOT a glorified pedometer.
  • juliamittler46
    juliamittler46 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't eat more than 1200 calories. I do not eat more because the app still gives me green light. I also felt that the calorie burns were calculated largely here. Two weeks feels a lot of time and I absolutely do need some motivation! So hopefully I will see some results soon.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much !! This absolutely helped to give me more motivation! I'm very strictly logging but I do drink much more than I used to. Also it is true that yoga is not a sport to burn calories - but it definitely builds muscles..... I can feel the pain while doing it and after ;) ! Thanks again and I'll keep you updated

If you want your yoga efforts calculated, consider getting a fitbit or similar device. It can help estimate caloric burn (yes, yoga burns calories) for activities not listed in the database, or non-cardio activities.

A fitbit will not help calculate the calories burnt during yoga. The movement is too smooth, and counts a yoga movement as a step, which it is not.
    In my opinion, the fitbit is just a glorified pedometer. I had one, and returned it after a few weeks because my phone did a better job than the Fitbit did.
    Since then, I've bought a heart-rate monitor, which will accurately count the calories burnt during exercise. However, remember, not all burnt calories are equal.

I should clarify. I meant the HRM ones. Obviously a pedometer isn't doing much in a stationary position, which is why I said a fitbit/other activity tracker. I should have clarified the hr or surge.
  • bkastens
    bkastens Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't eat more than 1200 calories. I do not eat more because the app still gives me green light. I also felt that the calorie burns were calculated largely here. Two weeks feels a lot of time and I absolutely do need some motivation! So hopefully I will see some results soon.

Beer has a ton of calories, just FYI. 2 beers (assuming pints) would be at least 400-500 calories and a lot of carbs. You can't log just food, you have to log anything that has calories (wine, beer, liquor, although liquor is a lot better to drink as there are no carbs).
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Are you using a food scale?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you indeed have only 15 pounds to lose, eating 1200 calories seems unnecessarily restrictive.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm still gonna defend the non-HR FitBits. Believe it or not, when you're doing yoga, you're registering more movement than when you're sitting on the couch. I have the One. Even if you believe you're standing perfectly still, you're not (ask someone who's had ankle issues/surgery if healthy people recognize the slight amount of sway you do do while just standing). It's registering movement.

My experience only, I know. Your mileage may vary.

But good activity estimates are still only half of the story. Accurate entry regarding intake is also needed (usually via weighing and logging all your intake).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yoga is not an activity that lends itself to accurate tracking by any currently available commercial device. Using laboratory equipment, the caloric burn is comparable to walking.
  • juliamittler46
    Options
    I do use a scale so I'm logging just what I should and I also logged the two beers that night. As for yoga it depends on which style you practice - having a flowing vinyasa practice will consume more than a slow hatha practice. I'm taking this under consideration and adjust the numbers accordingly but it's nothing accurate for sure. It's better than nothing.
    I'm 5'6 with 147.5 pounds. I want to come down to 130.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do use a scale so I'm logging just what I should and I also logged the two beers that night. As for yoga it depends on which style you practice - having a flowing vinyasa practice will consume more than a slow hatha practice. I'm taking this under consideration and adjust the numbers accordingly but it's nothing accurate for sure. It's better than nothing.
    I'm 5'6 with 147.5 pounds. I want to come down to 130.

Based on those stats, my thought is that 1200 is too restrictive. Not that you're not losing weight because of that, but as active as you are, I would think that a bit higher would be healthier for you.

As for the rest, chances are you're not logging as accurate as you think you are (we all go through that, some of us more than others! ^_^;;) or you're over-estimating your calories burned. I don't know about yoga, so I can't give you advice on that, but I will say don't take MFP's estimates as fact. MFP, as well as gym machines, take average stats to provide you a calorie burn. The general suggestion is to only eat back 50% of the exercise calories if you let MFP calculate them. If you have a HRM that also has your personal stats, that's going to be the best way to get your calories burned. It's not 100% accurate, but it's much closer. If you're very sure you're weighing and logging EVERYTHING you eat and drink, then my next guess is that you're over-estimating your calorie burn.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The app actually offers yoga in the cardio section so I added it. Well, I had two rolls of sushi and two beers that night - that's what Germans do when they go out;)! So it was Saturday night that we went out and this morning I had the weight gain. However after one hour I had 0,4 kilos less although I had had coffee by then. Very weird.

My lowest weight of the day is nearly always 11am. Regardless of whether I have drank or ate anything. I'm always heavier right when I wake up. I know it goes against the whole "weight your self naked after using the bathroom each morning for your lowest weight", but its been like that for me for years. I weigh every day right after waking and using the washroom and again around 11am when I can. I'm nearly always lighter.
  • juliamittler46
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    The app actually offers yoga in the cardio section so I added it. Well, I had two rolls of sushi and two beers that night - that's what Germans do when they go out;)! So it was Saturday night that we went out and this morning I had the weight gain. However after one hour I had 0,4 kilos less although I had had coffee by then. Very weird.

My lowest weight of the day is nearly always 11am. Regardless of whether I have drank or ate anything. I'm always heavier right when I wake up. I know it goes against the whole "weight your self naked after using the bathroom each morning for your lowest weight", but its been like that for me for years. I weigh every day right after waking and using the washroom and again around 11am when I can. I'm nearly always lighter.

So I just need to find the right time :smiley:

• juliamittler46
    Options
    I feel that I'm not really willing to buy me additional devices to monitor myself. As for the calorie count I'm a very impatient person (I guess you've noticed that already :wink: ) - so I'm trying to fast efficiently to lose weight somehow faster. I get frustrated so fast.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I feel that I'm not really willing to buy me additional devices to monitor myself. As for the calorie count I'm a very impatient person (I guess you've noticed that already :wink: ) - so I'm trying to fast efficiently to lose weight somehow faster. I get frustrated so fast.

Unfortunately, weight loss is more of a marathon than a sprint, as is frequently said around here (along with "You didn't put on the weight overnight and it's not going to come off that quickly either.") 1-2 pounds per week is about as much as can be expected unless you're on a very low calorie diet (not recommended without medical supervision as it's very hard to get the appropriate nutrients once you drop your calories very low) or very obese (because very large bodies require more calories, so a larger deficit is possible to create.)

Patience, accuracy with logging your calories, and consistency is going to get you much further much faster than giving up or constantly trying new fad diets or whatever.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight. Losing more will be a slooooooooow process. If I were you, I'd set MFP to 0.5 lbs/week, log exercise, eat back half, and be patient.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Sustainable weight loss, weight loss that stays off, is a slow process. I understand getting frustrated, but if you do crash diets or fad diets, when you hit your weight range, you won't stay there. Instead of considering this a 'diet', look at it as a change of eating habits. If you can learn to adjust your eating habits to include things you like, but learn how to judge portion sizes and learn to listen to your body, you will be making changes that are sustainable.

Yes, it's hard and slow. *bow-chikka-bow-wow* It took me three years to lose 50lbs, but I've come out of it with the tools and knowledge I need to STAY at my range. Focus on the fact that you'll be changing your eating habits to last you the rest of your life. In that context, three years is a bargain for being able to keep myself healthy for the next several decades.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You're already at a healthy weight. Losing more will be a slooooooooow process. If I were you, I'd set MFP to 0.5 lbs/week, log exercise, eat back half, and be patient.

This. This is the crux of the matter.

Patience. Accurate logging (use a food scale). And more patience.
  • juliamittler46
    Options
    I was wondering if this should be a whole new life style so should I keep having protein shakes for dinner for the rest of my life? That sounds odd. What about chocolate or cake? Do you guys have them occasionally?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if this should be a whole new life style so should I keep having protein shakes for dinner for the rest of my life? That sounds odd. What about chocolate or cake? Do you guys have them occasionally?

Way more than occasionally, for me.