Planned cheat days

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Anybody ever plan a cheat day and then immediately lose all previous cravings and appetite? It happens every time to me. I'm normally craving something at all times -- lasagna, cookies, cake, cheeseburger, french fries, SOMETHING... Except for today which is my planned cheat day. I don't have an appetite at all, but I've eaten some junk already. Now... I'm feeling quite depressed for no reason. Anybody else?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Yea, it's called guilt. But you are entitled to enjoy yourself every once in a while. I don't plan cheat days. But if I go somewhere and I want something, I'm not going to deprive myself of it. I will worry about it tomorrow. Life is too short to worry about every little thing that goes in my mouth. I have made this a lifestyle so a cheat every once in a while is just that, a cheat treat. Doesn't mean I'm going to go back to unhealthy eating.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    i would also agree with the above comment. I dont plan cheat days i allow myself a treat most days but if im planning to eat a whole bad meal i would just work out extra hard. :happy:
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Why a cheat day? The only person you are cheating is yourself, your body. Why not find a healthier substitute, a little less fat, a little less sugar, less carbs per serving? More exercise that day......just options.

The most important person in your life should be you...Don't cheat yourself,,,,,be good to yourself....:flowerforyou:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    You know what's better than a planned "cheat" day? A planned "maintenance calorie" day. Instead of "cheating" where you eat whatever crap you want... have a day once a week or so when you eat the amount of calories and types of foods that you'll be able to once you reach your goal. It's good practice for when you reach your goal. Also good motivation to reach your goal because you can see that you don't need to deprive yourself forever. Plus you'll feel less guilty about "practicing maintenance" rather than "cheating"!
  • duddadu
    duddadu Posts: 4 Member
    I think that the idea of "cheating" makes people feel guilty. Call it a "reward" day instead. You'll feel better about yourself.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Usually I don't plan a treat day. I'm not going to force myself to eat bad things just because its my treat day. Usually I will just work the extra calories into my day if I feel I'm needing a treat. Or, if my boyfriend and I plan a date sometime in the week then I will go to the gym before we go and save up calories. Even when I do go out and treat myself, I'll still try to stay healthy with something I enjoy.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    This happens to me too once in a while. The free day is a day to eat whatever you want. If you happen to want your usually healthy food that day so be it. The key is "whatever you want".
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Oh no i'm the opposite, if i plan a cheat day i cheat my *kitten* off! so much so that i cant allow real cheat days! i end up binging, in a very bad way!

Having said that today i ended up with over 1200 cals left for dinner, i've 'allowed' myself to have a big old bowl of wholewheat pasta, for me pasta is a big treat! I love it, but i don't eat it often because i'll never loose weight if i did! I'm still well within my calories.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    I give myself one day each week where I don't stress so much about tracking everything. Yesterday I thought would be my "cheat" day, but I found I really didn't eat as badly as I could have, and intentionally overestimated my calories. I use it as practice to prove to myself that I can do this without tracking everything all the time, because when I get to my goal, I'll still keep track, but it won't be as obsessive as it is not.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    I never plan "cheat" days. I feel like if I did that, I would not only feel super guilty, I'd end up with a stomachache too! If I crave something, I just give in with a small amount - for example, if I'm craving ice cream, I'll go to McDonalds and get a small vanilla cone - it easily fills my craving. Yesterday was the last day of school and I got all sorts of chocolate goodies - everything was put in the refrigerator so when I have a craving for something, I can pull a piece out and enjoy! :) It's amazing how much longer things last when they are out of sight! I still have valentine's day chocolate in there!

Tonight we're celebrating my niece's birthday and I will absolutely be having a piece of the vanilla cake I made. But instead of having a piece and then feeling guilty, I plan on working out before I have dinner. I also planned that cake into my calories for the day, so I'm still under my calorie goal.

Everyone is different, so I'm not passing judgment, I'm just explaining how I deal with yummy treats, in moderation!
This discussion has been closed.