Weight gain during period

Options
2»

Replies

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just wait until next week. You will have magically lost 3 pounds!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's just water weight. You can reduce your sodium intake and increase your take of leafy greens, and protein to help with this, along with PMS symptoms. Eating well and working out really do help. Your period doesn't have to be unpleasant, and a lot of women are beginning to realize that.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I don't weigh the week of my period. I know the feeling. I'm 48 and ready for this to stop. But am not sure if menopause would be any easier.

Trust me, it can be way easier -- and after it's over, you are FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!! I was done at 42, and believe me, two or three years of hot flashes and night sweats is nothing compared to a lifetime of PMS, pain and everything else that goes with periods.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I avoid the scales for a week once Tom comes around.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I track it in excel and marked TOM on the chart. I can clearly see when weight gain is TOM-related and so not an issue. No need to worry.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    emotionally it can be soo hard to see that, espeically if you're prone to pms and getting sad during your TOM (as I am :( ) buttt it's definitely because of TOM, and you might even notice yourself lose extra weight after it finished. If you keep track for a few months, you'll know what you're getting yourself into and it won't be so bad in the future
  • ReineJade
    ReineJade Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I gained 4.2 lbs this week while sticking to my diet. It's so frustrating! But hopefully next week we'll have a downward swoosh on the scale!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds this week! No worries it shall disappear by the end of the week (unless of course my ravenous cravings get the best of me :s )
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad this thread is here because after having a nice gradual weight loss going the scale bounced up by 1.2 pounds and this afternoon my period started. So, not happy!!! LOL!!!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just wait until the " treat " of perimenopause. I got an every two week cycle happening...along with a 3 to 4 lb gain each time (yes it goes back down)...but darn! I guess that's better than over the holidays when I was two weeks LATE instead and that extra water weight hung on until I started.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and in peri h*ll. I now get migraines most months. I am very emotional, very heavy periods, tired, have regained a bunch of weight ( like 55) from a 75 lbs loss that I kept off for a few years. So I am hoping getting the weight back off and running will help with the peri heck.
    I also managed to start right before my period so my weight was up from the start becuase of that.
    I feel like I am ona crazy rollarcoaster with my hormones since I turned 39/40. And they say peri can last 10 or more years then you get meno. So basically my hormones are in control for up to 20 years. Fun.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It really can be discouraging, but it goes away really quick, and then looks like a big loss, so sometimes you actually lose more than you think. It actually helps me kind of track when I am getting close to starting.
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    The week before does anyone else feel like they could eat a scabby horse plus a well fed cow and possibly a small child?
    I can't handle my cravings that week at all :(

Yes!!! For me though it doesn't stop the week before, it carries on right through! :o And coupled with that for the first three or four days of my period I'm so exhausted that it feels like I'm walking through treacle. I'm about six weeks into my new healthy lifestyle and only recently had my period, and surprise surpsise I really struggled this time. I was so wiped out that exercise was out of the question and I felt that I'd let myself down by giving in to my cravings too but it was either eat, cry or kill someone haha. It's finished now but I'm still 2lb heavier than I was when it started, and although I'm trying to look on the bright side (I'm losing around 1.5lb per week throughout the rest of the month so at least the general trend is downward) I can't help but feel Mother Nature is not my friend!! :s
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    4lbs every months, pain, lack of energy, swelling, went up two inches around my hips/waist ... makes you feel like you've failed and then *poof* after a week right back to normal.
    THEY ARE THE DEVIL.

The week before does anyone else feel like they could eat a scabby horse plus a well fed cow and possibly a small child?
    I can't handle my cravings that week at all :(

This.

So this.

I usually gain up to 7lb.

And i am craving a pizza the size of a dustbin lid.

I fear it is only a matter of time before i cave...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep... I did not read all the posts but I will add...

Do not look at me, touch me or even talk to me while I am in another room... I am on my PD, I am fat, ugly and feel like crap... come back in 24 to 36 hours after I am done swelling and my pain is gone.... LOL
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Just wait until the " treat " of perimenopause. I got an every two week cycle happening...along with a 3 to 4 lb gain each time (yes it goes back down)...but darn! I guess that's better than over the holidays when I was two weeks LATE instead and that extra water weight hung on until I started.

For a few months, I thought I was in the clear and I was in menopause, no such luck. I am almost 49. Now, my cycle is back and is just irregular. 28 days until this month was 22 days. What was that about. When I read your post, I looked up "perimenopause" and that explained a lot. This thread is really making me feel better.
  • bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I stumbled across all of your comments ... I had just hit my "last ten" pounds, and was over-the-moon excited. Fast forward to today, day two of aunt flow, and I am up 5 pounds. More deteriorating is I have off to the Carribean in under two weeks and am so self conscious of my body in a bathing suit.