how much is 1 cup?

Options
This Might be a silly question but whenever I look up portion sizes on some of the items on mfp I often see this form of measurement. But how much is 1 cup? 250ml, 200ml or100ml? Thanks!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think it depends on location, in Australia its generally 250mls.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is a cup of. That's why measuring cups are such an inaccurate form of measurement.
  • Anustrt4me
    Anustrt4me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    google it. That will tell you just what you are looking for. Measurement ounces versus grams, cups vs. mls, etc. I do not use cups measures anyway. I only use grams unless of course it is a liquid. I just started using grams on my scale and it really makes a difference in seeing just how much you really are eating.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When MFP says cup, they are referring to the American measuring cup. This is not accurate. Type in the food you want followed by g for grams or ml/oz for liquids.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For liquids, its about 237 milliliters in the U.S. I didn't know it was different in Australia :) For solids, of course, the same rules do not apply. If you ever want to convert some typical baking ingredients, this site can help figure out how much such things as butter or flour weigh per U.S. cup: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/butter_converter.html. For other solid foods, keep looking for an entry that gives you an option in grams, or if the package gives you nutrition information, create one.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would be lost trying to log foods on MFP without using this website - you can convert volume and capacity (liquids) and mass and weight (solids) for most measurements: theunitconverter.com/volume-conversion/

1 cup (UK measurements) = 284.13062500000035 milliliters.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the help everyone! ^.^
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's three, 1/3 cups.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A cup of what? grapes? strawberries? pasta? whole wheat flour? regular flour? If it's liquid, one cup is 120 grams, 4.2 oz, or 236.5 mls in the US.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

4 cups to a litre.

236ml in the U.S.? Is that a fraction of a gallon or something?

You guys are weird :D
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes, our system of measurement makes no sense. 1 cup is 8 fluid oz, it is volumetric measurement like mLs. So measuring anything other than liquids in cups is silly.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    A cup is 250ml for me.

4 cups to a litre.

Indeed we are! if it makes you feel any better, one cup = 8 fld oz = half a pint.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

4 cups to a litre.

:P I assume its about the size of a "normal" teacup back in the day when cooking was spoonful and cupful. Maybe teacups in Britain were bigger than teacups in America :) As you know, we proudly refuse to standardize, so it was never "standardized" to 250 ml, as I guess it was in Australia.

I grew up learning to cook and and measure by memorizing: 2 cups to quart, 4 quarts to a gallon (which is, of course ALSO not the same in the U.K.). Also, there are apparently 2 gills to a cup, but I never actually used that one.

But at least we stopped using stones....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Cups are perfectly fine for measuring liquids. A US cup is 8 fluid ounces or 236.588 fluid ml.

Google just about any weight or measurement conversion and you can find an easy conversion tool.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

It's a bit less...you are giving yourself too much this way. The 250ml mark on my measuring cups is a good 1/4 inch above the cup line.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

4 cups to a litre.

Indeed we are! if it makes you feel any better, one cup = 8 fld oz = half a pint.

Just to add to the confusion, a UK pint is 20 fl oz so 8fl oz isn't half a pint!
  • Merkavar
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

4 cups to a litre.

:P I assume its about the size of a "normal" teacup back in the day when cooking was spoonful and cupful. Maybe teacups in Britain were bigger than teacups in America :)

If stereotypes are anything to go by, British tea cups are likely the same size as those giant American fizzy drinks, they are like a gallon or something aren't they?

Like a family bucket of chicken filled with fanta or coke.

:smiley:

But a U.S. Cup being 8 fluid oz I guess is ok.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    A cup is 250ml for me.

It's a bit less...you are giving yourself too much this way. The 250ml mark on my measuring cups is a good 1/4 inch above the cup line.

I think we have determined different countries have different measurements.

250ml is one cup in Australia, never seen any other number.

Say I am measuring milk, the nutritional information is based on 1cup (250ml) on the bottle.

I guess this could be an issue if you import food between countries that don't have your local measurements in mind.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've always used the 250ml equals one cup. What gets me is tablespoons!!! I've always thought 1TBS= 15g. But looking at the database here it can range anywhere from 6g to 20g. I hate, hate ,hate when recipes call for TBS measures as they seem to differ wildly :rage:
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    I've always used the 250ml equals one cup. What gets me is tablespoons!!! I've always thought 1TBS= 15g. But looking at the database here it can range anywhere from 6g to 20g. I hate, hate ,hate when recipes call for TBS measures as they seem to differ wildly :rage:

That's why I try to get recipes that are written out by weight, not cups/spoons.