Natural Peanut butter

Options
How do you get your natural peanut butter to homogonize? Regardless of how much I stir it and how I store it, I always end up with and oily layer at the top and a dry, lumpy mess when I get to the bottom of the jar. Any tips on how to keep this from happening?

Replies

• Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I refrigerate it to keep the oil from separating again.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Simply827 wrote: »
    I refrigerate it to keep the oil from separating again.

Ditto.
  • RCnFinntastic
    RCnFinntastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    same. refrigerator works for me too.
    only other thing I'd say is when you first get it - leave it upside-down for a while before you're ready to use it - that way it starts mixing itself. once open... mix fully, then keep in the fridge.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I go through a 750 gram jar every week or two, and usually churn it with a knife for atleast ten minutes.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    I go through a 750 gram jar every week or two, and usually churn it with a knife for atleast ten minutes.

I guess that may be what it takes. I do keep it in the refrigerator, but even then it is hard at the bottom of the jar. I think the issue is that I do not get it mixed well from the get go. Thanks for all of your responses.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I mix a few times, too much of a mess to reach the bottom the jar sometimes. So remix at the 1/3 and 2/3 done.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Switch to almond butter as it is tastier AND much healthier! :)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I always pour out the oil at the top. One time I made the mistake of going through the checkout line so the bagger tossed it about and the oil got mixed up. I put it in the fridge hoping the oil would separate but it didn't. Since then, I go to self checkout so I can keep it upright. Once I pour out the oil, I mix it up and it stays that way.