My preK son's homework says to color the rectangles blue...POLL

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
There are 2 squares on the page. I vote color them too. what say you peanut gallery?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Only if you can also teach him to explain to his teacher why he colored them
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Only if you can also teach him to explain to his teacher why he colored them

It's due Friday...I got this...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yes. A square is a special case of a rectangle.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    aren't squares rectangles?
    "A 4-sided flat shape with straight sides where all interior angles are right angles (90°).

Also opposite sides are parallel and of equal length.

Example: A square is a special type of rectangle."

*taken from https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/rectangle.html
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! It's a trap!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    kxnjb.jpg

And so it begins...........
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We learn kids in school that a rectangle has 2 longer sides and two shorter sides..so no.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's a trap...

It+s+a+trap+can+you+*kitten*+to+this_48b152_4770665.gif

what is seen cannot be unseen...
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    We learn kids in school that a rectangle has 2 longer sides and two shorter sides..so no.

You don't seem to learn grammar, though? A square is a rectangle by it's very definition, which I posted above.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You don't didn't seem to learn grammar, though? A square is a rectangle by it's very definition, which I posted above.

• DaddieCat
    Options

You don't didn't seem to learn grammar, though? A square is a rectangle by it's very definition, which I posted above.

Changing my tense doesn't make my grammar incorrect, thanks though.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    no. if they wanted him to color squares they'd have said squares.
    ^Precisely, this. I hope this helps! :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    no. if they wanted him to color squares they'd have said squares.
    ^Precisely, this. I hope this helps! :)

But a square IS a rectangle, by definition. Let's not teach the poor kid the wrong thing before he even gets to K-4
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Draw 2 lines to connect the squares and then fill it in completely- that's what I would do. :D

Reminds me of when my brother had a science test on the planets in 4rd grade. Uranus was the furthest from the sun at the time, not Pluto, so that's how he answered the question. The teacher marked it as wrong and didn't give him the credit even when he showed her the planet chart he brought from home!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Draw 2 lines to connect the squares and then fill it in completely- that's what I would do. :D

Reminds me of when my brother had a science test on the planets in 4rd grade. Uranus was the furthest from the sun at the time, not Pluto, so that's how he answered the question. The teacher marked it as wrong and didn't give him the credit even when he showed her the planet chart he brought from home!

But Neptune was discovered in 1846... how old are you?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

LOL Neptune! Not Uranus. Too young for you, Batman! :p
  • DaddieCat
    Options

LOL Neptune! Not Uranus. Too young for you, Batman! :p

But what you are saying makes no sense, and I was asking for clarification. In 1846, Neptune (farther out than Uranus) was discovered and verified as a planet. It had been mathematically predicted prior to that and witnessed as well, but not confirmed as a planet. It has literally been an accepted planet farther out than Uranus since 1846. Your brother was wrong, and the teacher was correct to mark his answer as incorrect.