How many grams of carbs?

Options
Hello, Iam new here and find the site is very helpfull. I know that I need to reduce my carb intake to loose weight and ws wondering if anyone knew roughly how many grams we should be aiming for a day. I know everyone is different and I dont want to go near the Atkins thingy as that is just to lean!!
Many Thanks, Alison

Replies

• shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Everyone is different!! On here there are many people that have 60g-80g carbs daily and some that have up to 200g carbs! I know for myself anyway I cant live without my yummy carbs and aim to have 130g carbs daily without exercise!! When I exercise, then I eat back some, but not all of my exercise calories and the carbs that come with that!!

Mess around with it for a while and see what works for you!!

Good Luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    while keeping a handle on your carb levels, as well as the type and quality of your carbs is important, it's more about your total calories in vs your total calories out along with your micronutrients that will make the biggest difference for fat loss.

Keep track of all your macros to make sure they are where you need them but also, make sure you have chosen a deficit goal that fits your situation, don't just blindly choose the largest possible deficit, as that may or may not be what you need to best lose fat and become more healthy.

regards,

Banks
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I eat low GI carbs, and have a macronutrient ratio of 45:35:30 (Carbs:Protein:Fat). I've just started a book by Tom Venuto about reducing Body Fat (Body Fat Solution: 5 principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscle, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight), so if he recommends a different ratio I may amend this.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The statement that you Have to cut carbs to lose weight is a myth. Everyone is different and should customize their eating to their bodies needs. Personally, I have to have about 500 grams of carbs a day. If I go on a low carb plan, I have gastrointestinal issues and gain weight. So, I would recommend going by the recommendations you have from setting up your profile on here for at least 2-3 months. If you find that the ratios aren't working for you, then go see a nutritionist or dietitian who can look at your health status and exercise plan to design a program more specific for your bodies needs.
  • ALISCOTLAND
    Options
    Thanks to all replies. It is interesting to hear peoples different views on the same subject. At the moment I am going to go with Tonya and see how the site works for me. I certainly find it very encouraging to be able to plot my day on line and it is so quick and easy.
    Thankyou to all who have set up this site.
    Alison