• MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nights after work.
    I'm Just not a morning person.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever it fits your schedule best and whenever you'll consistently do it. I'm not a morning person, so I absolutely hate early morning workouts - I'm not even in my body yet and I'd be wandering around the gym in a fog. If given a choice between morning and evening, I'd be much more likely to stick to an evening training schedule, but that's just me. Do it whenever works best for you.
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at the gym at 9 am but I prefer to work out in the mornings and that's when I'm kid free. lol. I do try to mix it up every once in a while though and work out at different times of the day so that my body doesn't just stay used to doing it at one specific time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably at peak later in the day, according to research, but evening workouts also lead to poor sleep.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Your body is probably at peak later in the day, according to research, but evening workouts also lead to poor sleep.

Even if that is the case, whatever peak efficiency you may have would be far more than offset by the lack of consistency if later workouts don't fit into one's schedule or aren't as enjoyable. The best workout is the one you'll do most consistently. As for the poor sleep, I always found that a nice hot shower afterwards (or a soak in the jacuzzi!) relaxed me and I slept like a rock!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Yes if it suits you
    no if it doesnt
    i prefer morning workouts, but recently joined the gym so go at lunchtime
    i tried the evening work outs and i was buzzing for ages, couldnt get to sleep
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Even if that is the case, whatever peak efficiency you may have would be far more than offset by the lack of consistency if later workouts don't fit into one's schedule or aren't as enjoyable. The best workout is the one you'll do most consistently. As for the poor sleep, I always found that a nice hot shower afterwards (or a soak in the jacuzzi!) relaxed me and I slept like a rock!

Yep. There are positives and negatives to workout times at morning, noon and night.
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOVE working out at night. I have the most energy in the evenings and getting it out helps me sleep better.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I do some light exercise in the evening, it gets me a bit more wound up and harder to get to sleep. But I usually don't eat (or don't eat much) after a light exercise.

If I go hit it hard, shower, then eat... I can knock right out and sleep fine.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It depends on the work out type. I like to do my cardio on a morning as it energises me for the day, weights I do right after I eat dinner but an hour of yoga before bed really helps me get of to sleep/
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not a morning person reall so I do a workout when I am home from work, anytime from around 6pm and be finished by 7:30. That said there are nights when I have things on so I will reluctantly get up early on those morning to do the workout. It wakes me up and I feel good about myself but I would always prefer the extra 30-40 mins in bed. I find that when I've done my evening workout, had some food and then rested up for a few hours I can get a good sleep.
  • mstofabulous
    mstofabulous Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!!! makes me feel a lot better so this morning I was back at my 5:30 work out. I've decided that when possible I will do an evening walk no more full evening work outs for me. Today I am feeling fine and ready for the full day ahead so bring it on... oh I even have my meal prepared. oh its gonna be a good day. thanks again to every one who took the time to help me out.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LOVE working out at night. I have the most energy in the evenings and getting it out helps me sleep better.

+1. I find I just don't have the same energy when trying to run in the morning. Plus midnight runs are the best :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. Yet I have a job that requires I go into work too early and a gym that is a 30 min. drive each way in good weather. To get my workout done in the morning, I need to wake up at 4:15am.... not going to happen. I'll workout in the evening.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I do my HITT workouts about an hour and a half before bed. Eating Greek yogurt and taking a warm shower after my workout puts me to sleep within 15 of going to bed.
  • Dalia444
    Dalia444 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world, I would work out at around 10 am (when my energy levels peak). In my world, however, I usually start my workouts anywhere between 7-8 pm - after work. I am def a night owl and a light sleeper - according to my Fitbit I average about 6 hrs of sleep with some restlessness -- but I think Thats always been the case irrespective of workouts. Never had considered the connection though.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Between work and household responsibilities, I'm glad to work-out when I can. With planning, I could and likely should exercise over the noon hour. More often, I must go in the evening- after dinner, balancing a too full stomach and a too late workout which keeps me up.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No. Evenings lead to bros. Bros lead to anger. Anger leads to the dark side.

Bahahahaha!!!! Love this!!......beware the dark broside
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tonight I had some things to do and so straight home from work, I ate food rather than did my workout, so that I could then do what I needed to do. I then managed to do my workout at 9pm.

Trouble is tomorrow night I am busy and so tomorrows workout will have to be done in the morning just after 7am. That's 10 hours between workouts!! :weary:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

For me, yoga and stretching in a dimly lit room with soft music playing after a good workout was enough to relax me ... as I mentioned above, I was asleep pretty much the second my head hit the pillow. :)