Am I weighing this wrong?

Options
So I've been using a food scale for some time now with no problems. However, I've got a product that's got me stumped and I wanted some input to make sure I'm actually weighing this correctly.

I've got some ice cream and on the tub it says one serving is 1/2 cup (150 ml). Here are my issues with that. Ice cream isn't a liquid, so why is it in ml? When I weigh out 150 ml worth of it, it's a huge bowl full and seems like too much. Definitely way more than a half a cup. Unless it melts down to be a half cup?

Am I doing something wrong here or just overthinking this?

Replies

• izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So i've come across this before and I usually will search the internets for something comparable, but if nothing can be found, extreme measures are to be taken....

I will take what I believe to be 1/2 a cup, melt it in the microwave, measure it out to exactly 150 MLs or whatever (you'll need a metric measurement). The problem is ice cream is fluffy and 1/2 a cup solid ice cream probably = 150 ML liquid.

Anyway once you have what you believe to be 1/2 a cup or 150 MLS exactly... weigh it, write it down and use that as your basis. Then you can do some quick math to add it to your diary. For example my yogurt in MFP's food database says 1 cup or 1/2 cup... I know that to be about 226 grams or 113 grams respectively. So if I put in 250 grams in my bowl... 250/226 = 1.10619469 cups. And yeah that's what I put in my diary.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is technically a liquid. Just weigh it in grams and ignore the ml.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

LOL no it's not. And 1 gram = 1 ml only when you are working with water - other liquids have a different specific gravity.

OP: How many servings are supposed to be in the container? I would weigh the entire container, divide by the numbers of servings, and use that gram weight for each serving. It's going to be a bit off, but it will be good enough to finish off the container, and then I personally would just not buy that brand again.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Yes it is and I'll explain why it's a liquid from a medical standpoint. I have had patients who are on thickened liquids - liquids that are made using a special powder to thicken them up so a patient doesn't aspirate. I have seen patient's family members get a milkshake from Steak and Shake or whatever and give it to the patient because it's "thick." No, it's not. Just because it's "thick" doesn't mean it's "thickened." Ice cream/milkshakes break down into thin liquid. So while it's solid frozen, it's still liquid. Just like ice is still a liquid even though it's frozen ice.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So I've been using a food scale for some time now with no problems. However, I've got a product that's got me stumped and I wanted some input to make sure I'm actually weighing this correctly.

I've got some ice cream and on the tub it says one serving is 1/2 cup (150 ml). Here are my issues with that. Ice cream isn't a liquid, so why is it in ml? When I weigh out 150 ml worth of it, it's a huge bowl full and seems like too much. Definitely way more than a half a cup. Unless it melts down to be a half cup?

How do you weight 150ml? Both cups and mls are volumes, not weight. Does the container say how much a serving of 1/2 cup should weigh? And FYI, 1/2 Cup is 120 mls not 150mls, but is still volume, you need weight if you are using a scale.
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to troll or start a flame war here but... water is water... frozen/liquid/gas. It is not liquid when it is frozen... same rule applies to... all the elements in the universe.

The real question at hand... is yogurt a liquid or a solid? :trollface:
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

How do you weight 150ml? Both cups and mls are volumes, not weight. Does the container say how much a serving of 1/2 cup should weigh? And FYI, 1/2 Cup is 120 mls not 150mls, but is still volume, you need weight if you are using a scale.

That's exactly why I'm asking. The tub says 1/2 cup (150 mls). I can't figure out how the heck I'm suppose to weigh this thing without an actual weight per serving listed on the container.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd just stick the ice cream in a half cup measuring cup and call it a day. But that's just me.

Does the container say what the total weight of the product is? Any indication of how many servings are in the container?

What is the brand and flavour?
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

LOL no it's not. And 1 gram = 1 ml only when you are working with water - other liquids have a different specific gravity.

OP: How many servings are supposed to be in the container? I would weigh the entire container, divide by the numbers of servings, and use that gram weight for each serving. It's going to be a bit off, but it will be good enough to finish off the container, and then I personally would just not buy that brand again.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'll have to take a look at that when I get home and try it that way.

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Does the entire container of ice cream have a weight? You could divide that by the number of servings in the container and get a rough weight for each serving. It isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    I'd just stick the ice cream in a half cup measuring cup and call it a day. But that's just me.

Does the container say what the total weight of the product is? Any indication of how many servings are in the container?

What is the brand and flavour?

I thought that as well, but once I got a food scale I realized how off the cup measurements can be. I'd like to portion by weight if possible, but if not measuring cups are close enough I suppose.

It's Breyers Dark Chocolate. I can't recall the specifics of it without it here with me unfortunately. But I'll take a look for that when I'm at home.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes it is and I'll explain why it's a liquid from a medical standpoint. I have had patients who are on thickened liquids - liquids that are made using a special powder to thicken them up so a patient doesn't aspirate. I have seen patient's family members get a milkshake from Steak and Shake or whatever and give it to the patient because it's "thick." No, it's not. Just because it's "thick" doesn't mean it's "thickened." Ice cream/milkshakes break down into thin liquid. So while it's solid frozen, it's still liquid. Just like ice is still a liquid even though it's frozen ice.

Maybe for medical purposes it is considered liquid sustenance, but no it's NOT scientifically a liquid. Water is a liquid, when water is heated and becomes steam it is a gas, when it is frozen and becomes ice it is a solid. Ice cream should be weighed on a food scale.

OP, I agree with the suggestion to weigh the whole thing and divide by the number of servings listed. It won't be exact, but it's something. I've never seen ice cream without grams listed! How exotic :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    ... So while it's solid frozen, it's still liquid. Just like ice is still a liquid even though it's frozen ice.

No, no, no, and no again. When something is frozen solid - it has changed state and is no longer a liquid. Chemistry does not get much more basic than that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    This site has it listed in millitres but you can also select a weight measurement that gives you calories. It looks like around 2.36 ounces or 67 grams is equal to 125 ml. I have no idea how that compares though.

http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-breyers-dark-chocolate-ice-cream-i314407
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    According to what I see when I research 1 Cup US = 236.59. 1 cup Canadian = 227.3 and 1 metric cup = 250 mls.
    That information is from here

So it seems that it does depend on where You are. However none of those three = 300mls per cup so I do not know where the manufacturer gets its measurements from. In Your case I would email them and ask for a specific weight per serving information.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    normally 100ml of plain icecream is around 70-80grams
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    normally 100ml of plain icecream is around 70-80grams
    There are too many possible variables to say that. For one thing, different manufacturers may have more air incorporated into the ice cream.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The container SHOULD state total amount in grams and number of servings - or weight per serving and number of servings, that's enough - so that you can calculate the amount of calories per gram (or per 100 grams, which should have been there in the first place). If not, just finish it and don't buy it again (or log it as something similar).

ETA: I can see the problem now! The US site gives number of servings and weigth of serving, but the Canadian site has "Nutritional Facts and Ingredient Declaration - Per 1/2 cup (125mL)" and that is useless without neither total amount or number of servings. Annoying. It happens sometimes, I've seen it before, not often, luckily.

The discussion of what constitutes a liquid reminds me of the airline travelling rules, what you can bring into the cabin - here in Norway it got into absurdity real fast when introducing "fluid liquids" or maybe "liquid fluids" as a genuine term, to try to categorize correctly yogurt and tooth paste from mouth wash. All in the name of the war against terrorism, yay.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usually on the nutrition label it will say "serving size is 1/2 cup (so many grams)" I usually use those grams to weigh as my guide to serving size. breyersoldingred1.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    usually on the nutrition label it will say "serving size is 1/2 cup (so many grams)" I usually use those grams to weigh as my guide to serving size. breyersoldingred1.jpg

It does not on this label. i have some ice cream in the freezer that is listed the same way OP is describing. And I checked the brand she mentioned online. Same thing. No weight listed.