Did you ever look at yourself and say "yuck"?

Options
I'm having one of those crappy days where I look at myself in the mirror and wonder how in the h*ll did I get here? :/ Call it a mid life crisis if you want, but today I just can't take the way I look. I'm working on improving my health, and I know as it improves, so will my body image...but right now it just stinks..

Sorry for the dump. I'm not usually like this. I know it didn't take me a week to get to this weight, and I know it won't take a week to loose it. I just needed a bit of a vent. So thank yo for listening...who ever you are!

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I used to hate going for new clothes, (especially things for 'occasions') and feeling like a whale. its taking time, but I am at last able to see for myself that I am getting results, still a way to go though! you will see the same thing one day!
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I'm so upset with myself that I lost it all and then let myself gain it back!
  • lisalooleeli
    lisalooleeli Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, like you said you didn't gain it in a week and you won't loose it in a week. Your journey will be the greatest experience.
  • Kagekaru
    Kagekaru Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having that day today, too.
    I went in for a medical appointment and realized that I'm almost 90 pounds heavier than I was on this day in 2009. It just goes to show how much I was lying to myself, thinking I really hadn't gained very much weight. Now I have to turn my habits around and just do the reverse of the things that caused me problems, and given enough time, it will work. I just need to keep a positive attitude and keep my goals in the front of my mind always.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Everyone does! Maybe it's a bad hair day, or an "these pants make me look huge" day or even an "I can't believe I'm 50 and I have a zit day!" If you can, go do something nice for yourself. Get a pedicure, go buy a book or take a walk. Last night I felt totally gross because I ate a whole bag of chocolate covered potato chips. I made myself get on the treadmill, I watched Dancing with the Stars and an hour slipped away. I felt much better about myself and then I went to bed! Today has been a much better day! Also, as my 13 year old son once told me, if you don't like how you look in the mirror or pictures, don't look at them. Ah, so wise!
  • JACKIEHUNTINGTON
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    Everyone does! Maybe it's a bad hair day, or an "these pants make me look huge" day or even an "I can't believe I'm 50 and I have a zit day!" If you can, go do something nice for yourself. Get a pedicure, go buy a book or take a walk. Last night I felt totally gross because I ate a whole bag of chocolate covered potato chips. I made myself get on the treadmill, I watched Dancing with the Stars and an hour slipped away. I felt much better about myself and then I went to bed! Today has been a much better day! Also, as my 13 year old son once told me, if you don't like how you look in the mirror or pictures, don't look at them. Ah, so wise!

Ah! the wisdom of our children! LOL
  • JACKIEHUNTINGTON
    JACKIEHUNTINGTON Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »

The "50 and a zit day" made me laugh! Thank you for that!
  • rstrobridge10
    rstrobridge10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yup... I had one of those moments on Sunday night, which is actually what motivated me to hit the internet and find this site! When you swore your belly would never extend past your boobs, then realize that's what's happened... yeah, not a good feeling. You are definitely not alone. Try to use that feeling for motivation! I have a bad habit of wallowing when I'm feeling down, which keeps me in the same place. Last night I did some yoga instead, and it noticeably perked my mood. Take it easy on yourself, and like Tblackdogs said, do something that makes you feel better. (Maybe yoga?)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    All the time. Never satisfied. This is what drives me.
  • JACKIEHUNTINGTON
    Options
    Yup... I had one of those moments on Sunday night, which is actually what motivated me to hit the internet and find this site! When you swore your belly would never extend past your boobs, then realize that's what's happened... yeah, not a good feeling. You are definitely not alone. Try to use that feeling for motivation! I have a bad habit of wallowing when I'm feeling down, which keeps me in the same place. Last night I did some yoga instead, and it noticeably perked my mood. Take it easy on yourself, and like Tblackdogs said, do something that makes you feel better. (Maybe yoga?)

I do the wallowing thing too. So I went to visit my parents after work. Good thing too...I've got a crabby spouse tonight
  • JACKIEHUNTINGTON
    JACKIEHUNTINGTON Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    All the time. Never satisfied. This is what drives me.

You know, I've come to that point too. I've also realized in the last 24 hours that I AM THE ONE IN CONTROL. Not the food, not my family, not the office. Me. I'm the only one who can control what I eat and what I do and I plan to STAY in control.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I still do.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No, that's what men're for (I've been told that twice, on a dating website)!
  • JACKIEHUNTINGTON
    Options
    No, that's what men're for (I've been told that twice, on a dating website)!

Wow! What a horrible thing for a dating website to say!