I just want to tone...am I on the right track?

Options
I am happy with my current weight which fluctuates from 130-135, but I need to tone. I've looked into a body recomp but not sure if that's what I need. I don't care if I have major muscle definition, I just want to shed some fat off my thighs, tone up my butt, and just increase my overall fitness.

To do this, should I continue eating at maintenance or a deficit? If deficit, how much? Can I achieve toning just through the use of home workout DVDs such as jillian mochaels 30 day shred? I plan on throwing in some cardio as well.

I have looked ito attending a local "bootcamp" style fitness class, but not sure if that is necessary. Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat, eat at a deficit. I would highly recommend lifting weights heavier than 30 Day Shred.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    To tone, you will need to do some exercise that builds muscle. "Tone" is muscle, hard-fought and won like any muscle.

Work out with weights that challenge your muscles, squat, and do some high-intensity cardio to blast fat.

To lose fat, you will need to work at a deficit, but someone else in the forum may have more in-depth knowledge on this.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    If you want to lose fat, eat at a deficit. I would highly recommend lifting weights heavier than 30 Day Shred.

Do dvd workouts such as that really serve any purpose then? I always read posts about how great they are, and I'm really sore after doing them, but had my doubts that anything bought at Walmart for $8 could help you that much.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, since you don't want big muscles only toned ones, the $8 video might be just about right.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I am happy with my current weight which fluctuates from 130-135, but I need to tone. I've looked into a body recomp but not sure if that's what I need. I don't care if I have major muscle definition, I just want to shed some fat off my thighs, tone up my butt, and just increase my overall fitness.

To do this, should I continue eating at maintenance or a deficit? If deficit, how much? Can I achieve toning just through the use of home workout DVDs such as jillian mochaels 30 day shred? I plan on throwing in some cardio as well.

I have looked ito attending a local "bootcamp" style fitness class, but not sure if that is necessary. Any advice appreciated.

Here's an article which answers your questions and explains things very well (no affiliation with them, just a good article): aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Read this book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, push ups and planks are all free. They work pretty well at building muscle.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »

Do dvd workouts such as that really serve any purpose then? I always read posts about how great they are, and I'm really sore after doing them, but had my doubts that anything bought at Walmart for $8 could help you that much.

If you are moving, they burn calories. But doing light weight at high repetitions doesn't build strength or muscle size.

"Toning" usually refers to keeping the muscle you have, and removing some fat. For that I'd recommend a small calorie deficit and strength training, progressive (increase resistance on a regular basis) strength training anywhere between the 3 and 12 rep range.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Here's an article which answers your questions and explains things very well (no affiliation with them, just a good article): aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

+1

I think I've read every single article on his site. LOVE his no-nonsense approach to disputing common misconceptions about diet and fitness.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think what perplexes me the most is how much I should be eating while trying to tone up. It's the whole you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit/you can't burn fat unless at a deficit thing that perplexes me.

It seems to me you simply can't burn fat and build muscle simultaneously.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I think what perplexes me the most is how much I should be eating while trying to tone up. It's the whole you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit/you can't burn fat unless at a deficit thing that perplexes me.

Try a compound strength training program. Eat at maintenance. Adjust. Lifting heavy at maintenance or a slight deficit can help you get the results you want.

I see the most results when I challenge myself with progressive strength training or circuit training. It takes time to see significant long term change.

(Toning (try not to use this word) was created to sell pink Dumbbells)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    A body recomposition will not make you big and bulky. Gaining muscle for women is an extremely slow process. That is definitely the way I would go if I were you. Compound progressive strength program at maintenance until you achieve the amount of muscle you want.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I can't agree with the last statement. Doing a recomp is just that, trimming fat and increasing muscle at the same time. While you might not gain as much muscle as doing heavy lifting alone, or trim as much fat as doing a lot of cardio alone, both can take place at the same time.

I personally also disagree with the common statement that you must "lift heavy" and that you can't build muscle doing more reps of lighter weights. I've seen that first hand with work I did, where I made fairly large gains in certain muscle groups only lifting 10-25% of my body weight, but doing it for probably at least an hour in any given day. Once again, maybe not the fastest way to do it, but it works. In my case the progressive overload often suggested didn't exist. I simply got faster at doing it as I gained muscle, but the weights being tossed around never really changed. Likely at some point you would hit a wall, and have to add weight if you wanted to continue gaining muscle.

But IMO, when people make it sound like the only way is to go to the gym and strain whatever weights you can for minimal reps of big weight per your body size, it's just not a rule I agree with.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    ...I personally also disagree with the common statement that you must "lift heavy" and that you can't build muscle doing more reps of lighter weights. I've seen that first hand with work I did, where I made fairly large gains in certain muscle groups only lifting 10-25% of my body weight, but doing it for probably at least an hour in any given day. Once again, maybe not the fastest way to do it, but it works. In my case the progressive overload often suggested didn't exist. I simply got faster at doing it as I gained muscle, but the weights being tossed around never really changed. Likely at some point you would hit a wall, and have to add weight if you wanted to continue gaining muscle.

If you got faster at it, you were doing more reps within the same time period. That's progression. "Progression" doesn't always necessarily mean 'more weight'. It can be more sets/reps, shorter rest periods between sets, etc. If you did 10 reps one workout and were able to up it to 12 reps the next workout, that's progression. If you did 20 reps in 60 seconds and subsequently did those 20 reps in 45 seconds, that's progression.

robertw486 wrote: »
    ...But IMO, when people make it sound like the only way is to go to the gym and strain whatever weights you can for minimal reps of big weight per your body size, it's just not a rule I agree with.

"Strain whatever weights for minimal reps of big weight" sounds like a strength protocol. Many hypertrophy (muscle growth) routines involve sub-maximal weights for more sets/reps. Some of them aren't "minimal reps" at all - they involve incredible volume, which mandates lighter weights being used to be able to even finish the workout. Google "German Volume Training" - 10 sets of 10 reps for each exercise, with multiple exercises per bodypart. No way you're finishing a routine like that pushing "big weight" like you would in a strength program. Contrary to what you often see here, not everybody does Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or whatever other 5x5 protocol is trendy at the moment.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

A "toned" body, and being fit requires regular exercise. Find whatever exercise routine you find interesting and do it. It does not matter so much what it is going to be, it matters actually doing it. So, find something you like, at home or gym, and go for it.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    A body recomposition will not make you big and bulky. Gaining muscle for women is an extremely slow process. That is definitely the way I would go if I were you. Compound progressive strength program at maintenance until you achieve the amount of muscle you want.

This is true

Adding muscle for women is slow and you will have to really work hard to get it

Easy low weight high rep work mortally builds heart strength and endurance if you get your heart rate up a bit and keep it there

After a point of fitness is reached, it takes me more intense cardio and then harder lifting to show progress

But....

One pound of muscle added is like a tangerine size of bulk. One pound of fat is like 2 large navel oranges

You get smaller size wise but what you have is firmer and more fit! And that muscle burns more calories just being there even when not using it

Getting toned... Lose a half dozen navel oranges of jiggly body fat, and swap them for two tangerines of good firm muscle.

That is looking toned and fit.