Over 60 years old with 60 pounds to lose...anyone like me out there?

Options
Hello! I am not necessarily looking to start a new group but am wondering if there is a group with similar challenges/lifestyles/excuses that I can join for support and motivation. I am female, over 60, had a knee replacement a year ago, have arthritis in the other knee, am still working full-time (at a sedentary job), live with an athletic husband, an adult daughter, and a grandson that I am responsible for most evenings. All of which I use as excuses for stress eating and avoiding the gym. Is there anyone that can see themselves in similar circumstances that is learning to take care of themselves. If so, HELP!

PS I received a friend request from someone that I then lost. How do you respond to those?

Replies

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Friend me. I am 64 and have lost 51 pounds in a three year period, and that was with an intervening two-year plateau. I retired myself for medical reasons, and make the time to hit the gym. I am currently working on losing another 40 pounds.
  • Bobbygirl321
    Bobbygirl321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Being new to this, I am not sure how to send a friend request. But I will practice with you. Your losing weight at our age proves it can be done! Thanks for connecting!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have lost 15 pounds with another 10 to go. From what I've read on here it's hard to lose weight at any age- and easy to gain at any age. Read lots of the forums as there are great ideas all over the place, and great motivation and motivators!
  • JauntyJackie
    JauntyJackie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 66 active, 5'3.5", Started at 167, and doing Induction 20gr carbs for the last 8 weeks. Only lost 7 lbs. so it's really slow. I want to get to 143, BMI normal.
    Has anyone tried cutting out dairy? to increase weight loss. ?
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    '60 years old and over' is a group if you wish to join. You can search for it in the groups section. I am 65 years old and have lost 40lbs. Being only 5ft tall I find it difficult sometimes but I am getting there. I would like to lose another 26lbs. I have been on MFP for a little over 3 years. I lost the 40lbs fairly quickly to start with (about 8 months) but got a little fed up with it all so went to maintenance for a while. I am now actively trying again to lose the 26lbs. Friend me if you wish. I will encourage where I can.
  • mcphilly52
    mcphilly52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm over 60 and need to lose about 50lbs. My goal is to have it off in a year (65th birthday), so I am trying to shoot for 5lbs. at a time.
    I just started back walking 2-3mi. daily or every other day. Looking for encouragement. I have low energy, and that's part of the battle.