Can you pass along some info on lifting weight and water retention?

Options
I know a little bit about a little bit when it comes to this. My wife and I have both started a journey that is not necessarily a huge weight loss journey, but it is weight loss, thus why i posted in here. We both have about 15-20 more pounds to lose. We want to incorporate weight lifting into the mix. We have both read it has very huge benefits as far as after burn, etc. However, one thing that i am slightly confused about is how the weight lifting will affect the scale in the onset of the journey.

I have been told that very little weight will be lost and you will in fact see an increase in the scale the first few weeks. Is this true? If the diet is in check and you are eating under maintenance, will the added "water" weight just fall off after a couple weeks and you will see a major weight loss one week? For example, I am starting off at 225 pounds, my goal is to be 210 pounds. If i start lifting heavy and doing some cardio after the lift, i assume i would see a slight gain in weight for a bit... maybe to 228 or so.... however if i continue to eat at my 1000 calorie a day deficit, continue to lift and do cardio, will i see a large drop one week? Or, how does that generally work? THanks for the advice and info.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You will generally gain some water weight to help repair muscle. You may see a small fluctuation in the scales, especially if you weigh in the morning after a heavy lifting day.

Either way, the number on the scale doesn't matter. You say you want to lose 15 pounds and here's the deal... you want to lose FAT, not "weight" right? When you lose weight you will lose a combination of fat, water, and muscle. The water weight will fluctuate all day long, and all week long depending on hydration levels, activity, sodium in diet, etc.

My advice would be to weigh only 1 time a week. I like to do it sunday morning, when i first wake up, right after i pee, and after 2 days of rest (i work out on friday morning). That way I am able to get the *most* accurate weight for the week. DO NOT weigh day to day unless you want to see crazy fluctuations like this, and definitely don't weigh yourself in the middle of the day or night. Ultimately, the weight on the scale doesn't matter TOO much, and you should be focusing on your body fat %.
  • OleBallcoach35
    OleBallcoach35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gotya.... I am following a weight program that recommends that you weigh daily.... wasnt really a fan of that as i have lost some major weight in the past.... however, not a great deal of it was done with weight lifting.... more less insanity and running... One thing that i am looking for a great deal is to get that scale down to the 210 number... i know that it doesn't seem important to some folks, but to me it is a goal... as someone that used to weight 327 pounds, I want to get to that point where i am no longer considered obese and getting these awful phone calls from our insurance company telling me i need to lose weight.... I tell them all the time... sure i am considered obese by your insurance charts, but how many obese folks can run a 10k without stopping, etc.. Just infuriates me. Sorry mini rant... haha
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Gotya.... I am following a weight program that recommends that you weigh daily.... wasnt really a fan of that as i have lost some major weight in the past.... however, not a great deal of it was done with weight lifting.... more less insanity and running... One thing that i am looking for a great deal is to get that scale down to the 210 number... i know that it doesn't seem important to some folks, but to me it is a goal... as someone that used to weight 327 pounds, I want to get to that point where i am no longer considered obese and getting these awful phone calls from our insurance company telling me i need to lose weight.... I tell them all the time... sure i am considered obese by your insurance charts, but how many obese folks can run a 10k without stopping, etc.. Just infuriates me. Sorry mini rant... haha

it's all good. Just remember, it's all about the amount of fat you have. ;)
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OleBallCoach... glad to see another coach on the board.... I have had a great deal of experience in this.... I was similar to you in that i wanted to get that scale as low as possible... However, i had a snafu along the way, I started noticing that my clothes started fitting better, I started getting major compliments about my weight loss all in all while only losing about 17-19 pounds.... However i had lost over 26 inches around my body. Those charts are garbage.... dont let them dictate your success. Pump the iron, lift heavy and often.... you may not see a ton of weight being dropped as you stated your only had about 20 pounds to lose... however, i was the same way and started to realize about 4 months in that the scale number wasnt as important to me. Good Luck!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When you first begin lifting, you may see a slight shift based on water weight. Once your body is used to lifting regularly, your system will stabilize.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When I began lifting, the scale stalled (no movement) for 6-7 weeks. After that the weight started to drop off consistently. I've seen big changes in my body since I began lifting over a year ago. Wish I had started lifting sooner.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I went from 230, heaviest I've ever been, down to 185. Now I'm back at 215 headed to 225, but still wearing the same size clothes from 185 (although I need new shirts... my shoulders and chest are too big now for the ones I have)

My point is that scale weight doesn't mean as much as measurements and other metrics. I'm fitter now than I have ever been with more lean mass, but almost weigh the same as my starting/heaviest weight.

It's more about body fat percentage and if you have a problem with weighing, it helps to remember that weight is just your personal relationship with gravity and not a measure of health or fitness. Don't get me wrong... I weigh myself all the time, but found that number less meaningful as I increased in fitness.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "it helps to remember that weight is just your personal relationship with gravity and not a measure of health or fitness."

wow, i had never thought about it this way.... that is about as good as you can put this and it make a lot of sense.... well done...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    "it helps to remember that weight is just your personal relationship with gravity and not a measure of health or fitness."

wow, i had never thought about it this way.... that is about as good as you can put this and it make a lot of sense.... well done...

not mine. I stole it from a poster on Fitocracy, the other site I frequent and use to track my workouts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    it helps to remember that weight is just your personal relationship with gravity and not a measure of health or fitness.

This is going on a post-it note by the scale. I'm about to start lifting more and I will need to remember this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I know a little bit about a little bit when it comes to this. My wife and I have both started a journey that is not necessarily a huge weight loss journey, but it is weight loss, thus why i posted in here. We both have about 15-20 more pounds to lose. We want to incorporate weight lifting into the mix. We have both read it has very huge benefits as far as after burn, etc. However, one thing that i am slightly confused about is how the weight lifting will affect the scale in the onset of the journey.

I have been told that very little weight will be lost and you will in fact see an increase in the scale the first few weeks. Is this true? If the diet is in check and you are eating under maintenance, will the added "water" weight just fall off after a couple weeks and you will see a major weight loss one week? For example, I am starting off at 225 pounds, my goal is to be 210 pounds. If i start lifting heavy and doing some cardio after the lift, i assume i would see a slight gain in weight for a bit... maybe to 228 or so.... however if i continue to eat at my 1000 calorie a day deficit, continue to lift and do cardio, will i see a large drop one week? Or, how does that generally work? THanks for the advice and info.

Does it really matter

Any change up in exercise leads to water retention

Is it long term or fat? No

Will it go? Yes...and come back

You need to preserve your muscles as you eat in defecit

As muscles make you look and feel awesome whatever your body aesthetic

Should you do it ...yes