To Log or Not to Log...

Options
Hi everyone!

So I weighed myself this morning and saw that I'm down 2 pounds from yesterday! I'm unsure whether this is a true weight loss or a possible fluctuation because my TOM is coming up. I'm debating whether or not I should even log the 2 pound loss or if I should not count it. I understand that fluctuations happen, and I don't want to feel discouraged with some slight yo-yoing. But at the same time I don't want to not celebrate a loss. What do you guys think?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion so you do what you want with it. I think that you need to either log every day, meaning every up and down, or once a week/month. Picking and choosing at irregular intervals doesn't make sense to me. Again, though, that's completely my own opinion.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Personally i would chalk it up to a fluctuation since it was a 2 pound difference that happened overnight. Log it if you want but don't be discouraged if tomorrow you're up a pound or something. My weight fluctuates daily so I only log it once a week.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every 2-3 weeks, and sometimes weekly, but never less.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I play a little mental game. I log my losses, but not my gains. I have a general downward trend, so all this means is that I am not giving the water gains any power over me. I still get on the scale, I am still aware of it, but I don't let it be a big deal.

So it goes like this : Weigh on Monday - see a loss - log it. Weigh on Weds - see a small gain - don't log it. Weigh on Friday - see a small loss which puts me lower than Mondays weight - log it.

I like how it makes me feel to handle it that way.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Log it and celebrate. :p
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I log every day in my Excel sheet. When I drop, I change MFP to ensure my calorie goal is still accurate. My official weight is the one I take Tuesday morning, 5a, after I pee, before I eat.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I also have an Excel spreadsheet that I log my weight everyday. I also track my daily calorie totals there and a few other measurements. Generally any weight flux is within a half pound to a pound and it is slowly but surely going down.

I agree with @jemhh. pick one: everyday or periodically and log either way.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is this your normal weigh in time/day? If so, log it. If not then wait until your normal weigh in day/time.
    Your weight will normally go up and down. It is information. You don't need to feel discouraged.

I weigh once a week and log whatever my weight is that day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    I understand that fluctuations happen, and I don't want to feel discouraged with some slight yo-yoing.

I think you should really ponder this sentence.

You understand fluctuations happen. So why would you feel discouraged with yo-yoing? They happen. They're going to happen.

Personally I ignore any changes between back-to-back weighings. They're meaningless, as you never know if it's fluctuations or true loss. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even bother with changes in 3 or 4 consecutive readings if you're weighing daily.

Focus on the long-term trend. As others have suggested use a spreadsheet or other tracking program that can show you a smoothed-out average over the long term. THAT'S what you should be focusing on. If that's moving in the right direction based on your goals, then celebrate. If it's not...make appropriate adjustments.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I find that logging every day helps me better understand my body's fluctuations, so that if I'm suddenly up two pounds overnight I don't freak out about it. But I count the weekly measurement as the actual weight loss (or gain). Or if I'm at the same weight for 3-4 days that's a good indication that it is a real gain or loss, not just a water fluctuation.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but used to log once a week. Now I log everyday, because websites like trend-weight really help me to understands the fluctuations.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    If I weigh in, I log it, whether the scale went up or down. However, weighing daily does not seem to be a good habit in my honest opinion.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Let me better explain myself. I normally weigh and log once a week, but I've been trying to better understand my body's fluctuations around my TOM and when I eat salty meals (salty meals throw me out of whack for a few days usually). So lately around those days, I tend to weigh myself more often. I ate stir fry for dinner last night and was over my sodium goals for the day so I weighed myself this morning expecting to make a note of how much the scale went up. I was surprised when it did the exact opposite. I'm trying to figure out if this is more likely an actual loss, or some weird fluctuation. I would love to think that my hard work and strenuous calorie logging is paying off, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Usually my fluctuations only occur in one direction, and that's up.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Log it. Just make sure you log when the scale goes up also. I used to only log if the scale went down.
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Let me better explain myself. I normally weigh and log once a week, but I've been trying to better understand my body's fluctuations around my TOM and when I eat salty meals (salty meals throw me out of whack for a few days usually). So lately around those days, I tend to weigh myself more often. I ate stir fry for dinner last night and was over my sodium goals for the day so I weighed myself this morning expecting to make a note of how much the scale went up. I was surprised when it did the exact opposite. I'm trying to figure out if this is more likely an actual loss, or some weird fluctuation. I would love to think that my hard work and strenuous calorie logging is paying off, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Usually my fluctuations only occur in one direction, and that's up.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I log in Excel every day and log new lows in MFP when they look like they are "sticking," IOW, have registered for a few days.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I only log now when my weight goes down. I was sporadic in the past, would log in once every 6 months and log my weight, chart for 2 days and then disappear. But I am committed this time and feel great about this. If I weight daily I stay accountable and see the fluctuations. Last week I had a day where I was way down and the next was up 5. Looked at he calander and realized it was just days before my TOM. Not a biggie but I only log the lows. Good motivation to hold onto it and keep it up!! I would log it, and then work my butt off to make sure I hit it again after hormone flux or water bloat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Personally I only log on Monday mornings. I might weigh every day - but whatever Monday's weight is it goes in the log.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Personally I only log on Monday mornings. I might weigh every day - but whatever Monday's weight is it goes in the log.

I do the same.
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but I only log my weight once a week. That way, if I fluctuate during the week, I am not too concerned. What really counts is my official weigh-in day which is generally on Sunday mornings. That's the day I like to see a loss!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always log the lowest weight. It's easier for me to track my weight that way, even if it's not 'real' weight.