Anyone have a good exercise to lose weight fast

Options
I'm trying to lose 20 pounds before Christmas , I'm very unhappy with my body , does anyone know any exercises that help lose weight fast

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. It can help but it doesn't lose weight itself. It comes down to calories in/calories out. And fyi, you're not going to lose 20 pounds before Christmas. It's pretty mathematically impossible.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Wanting to lose 20 lbs in about 4-5 weeks is not a realistic goal.

What is your current height and weight? What is your goal weight?
  • julialopapa173
    julialopapa173 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 150 I wanna be 120
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Fork put-downs and table push-backs. The only way to lose weight is through a calorie deficit. So eat less or move more.

Also, 20 pounds in 5 weeks is unrealistic . I'd suggest you reevaluate your goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    table push-aways and fork put-downs (your diet is going to be profoundly more impact-full in this RE)

also, 20 Lbs in 4-5 weeks isn't very realistic. the less you have to lose, the slower it goes, particularly as you get into that last 5-10 Lbs or so...just don't have the fat stores for rapid weight loss.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating, not exercise. 20 pounds by Christmas is an unrealistic goal. Instead you should aim for improvement with eating and logging, plus add in exercises you enjoy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Realistically, you're looking at a few months to lose that amount of weight in a healthy manner. It isn't happening by Christmas.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Realistically count on losing 1 to 1.5lbs per week which would represent a caloric deficit of 500 to 750 cal per day on average.

Exercise may help you reach your goals but weight loss is 80% achieved in the kitchen.
  • julialopapa173
    julialopapa173 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Your first exercise should be patience. Second, do what everyone already said to do.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Exercise is necessary for health, good body recomposition and long term body fat maintenance, especially at lower levels. It is not the primary way to reduce body weight and fat however. As has been said, focus more on your eating habits and monitor them well. 2lbs per week is achievable, but often only in the early days. The closer you are to your goal weight and BF%, the more stubborn the loss is.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    table push-aways and fork put-downs (your diet is going to be profoundly more impact-full in this RE)

also, 20 Lbs in 4-5 weeks isn't very realistic. the less you have to lose, the slower it goes, particularly as you get into that last 5-10 Lbs or so...just don't have the fat stores for rapid weight loss.

^This. Plus if you even did manage to lose that in that amount of time, more than likely you'd end up not seeing much of a difference or/and ending up with a noticeable amount of loose skin issues.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Some people tell you that spot reducing wont work but I have tried exercises in the past that have noticably helped decrease my belly fat. Right now I am doing a 7 minute hitt workout 3 times a week with stretching but I'm also on a 1540 calorie diet and I'm seeing decent results. I think the exercises that help flatten your belly are planks,jumping Jacks and crunches.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some people tell you that spot reducing wont work but I have tried exercises in the past that have noticably helped decrease my belly fat. Right now I am doing a 7 minute hitt workout 3 times a week with stretching but I'm also on a 1540 calorie diet and I'm seeing decent results. I think the exercises that help flatten your belly are planks,jumping Jacks and crunches.

The only way to flatten your belly is to lose the layer of fat covering the muscles. Fat can't be exercised, it's inert, so whatever exercises you do are doing absolutely nothing to reduce the adipose tissue (fat). Spot reduction isn't possible. Here's one scientific study regarding spot reduction: The Effect of Abdominal Exercise on Abdominal Fat. Two groups on isocaloric diets over 6 weeks; one group did abdominal workouts 5 days a week, the other did nothing. At the end of the study there was no significant difference in body weight, bodyfat percentage or abdominal circumference. None. The only improvement seen (predictably) was an increase in muscular endurance in the exercise group.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,928 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 20 pounds before Christmas , I'm very unhappy with my body , does anyone know any exercises that help lose weight fast

It is highly unlikely you will lose 20 lbs before Christmas ... at least not in a healthy way. However, start now.

Enter your information into MFP, select a goal of a 2 lb/week loss which is the maximum you should go. Remain at, or just ever-so-slightly beneath the maximum calories MFP gives you.

If you exercise, you can eat more. Many of us eat approx. half of our exercise calories back.

Christmas is what ... 5 weeks away? You could possibly lose 10 lbs in that time.

Don't go crazy with the eating over Christmas, and you could possibly lose another 10 lbs by sometime in early February.

Since you say you're actually trying to lose 30 lbs, you could possibly be there sometime around Easter.

But you've got to start now and stick to it.

• VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The only way to flatten your belly is to lose the layer of fat covering the muscles. Fat can't be exercised, it's inert, so whatever exercises you do are doing absolutely nothing to reduce the adipose tissue (fat). Spot reduction isn't possible.

This. Any spot reduction seen is wishful thinking or the result of your good eating and overall exercise habits. The only exercise that can draw your waist in is an abdominal vacuum, but that is strengthening muscles, not reducing fat.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is the problem with most people unsucessfully trying to lose weight. They want quick unrealistic fixes.
    We buy into the Dr. Oz mentality, the commercial for that exercise equiment that is so "revolutionary", that pill, that new meal plan, eat nothing but bananas, replace everything with cauliflower, sugar is evil, fat is evil, must run 10 miles today on the treadmill even though I never exercised a day in my life, and so on and so on.

These people did not gain their weight in 3 months but yet they think they can lose it in 3 months. And then what? Let's say you did lose that weight in 3 months? Did you really change anything? I mean real changes that will stick with you for the rest of your life?

Educate yourself. read how your body functions. Study how food effects your body, how exercise effects your body. Make a long term plan not only to lose weight but ways that will keep it off.

OK, rant over.
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    This is the problem with most people unsucessfully trying to lose weight. They want quick unrealistic fixes.
    We buy into the Dr. Oz mentality, the commercial for that exercise equiment that is so "revolutionary", that pill, that new meal plan, eat nothing but bananas, replace everything with cauliflower, sugar is evil, fat is evil, must run 10 miles today on the treadmill even though I never exercised a day in my life, and so on and so on.

These people did not gain their weight in 3 months but yet they think they can lose it in 3 months. And then what? Let's say you did lose that weight in 3 months? Did you really change anything? I mean real changes that will stick with you for the rest of your life?

Educate yourself. read how your body functions. Study how food effects your body, how exercise effects your body. Make a long term plan not only to lose weight but ways that will keep it off.

OK, rant over.

^^^THIS^^^ amen!!!