Are planks effective?

Options
My gut sticks out like I'm 6 months pregnant. I seem to have no muscle tone in my core. I'm wondering if doing planks is really effective at tightening those muscles and pulling them in so they don't stick out. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not your posture?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    They are good for core strength but not what you're looking for. You need to eat at a deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Planks will strengthen your core but do nothing about the fat covering your abs.

You cannot spot reduce fat. The best advice would be to eat at a slight deficit (0.5lb weight loss goal per week), get adequate protein (0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight should suffice), take part in a progressive strength training program (such as stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting, starting strength, etc), and time.

The deficit will ensure you lose weight, the small amount of said deficit is why you need time, but a smaller deficit, adequate protein, and strength training will ensure that a larger % of your total weight loss will come from fat, instead of a large % coming from lean muscle.
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know planks won't do anything about the fat. I just wondered if they'd effectively tighten the muscle and reduce the pouch.
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It could be, I've wondered about this before. I spend all day sitting at my desk, probably hunched rather than upright. Plus, having a pouch is genetic in my family tree.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    HollyMGT wrote: »
    It could be, I've wondered about this before. I spend all day sitting at my desk, probably hunched rather than upright. Plus, having a pouch is genetic in my family tree.

Maintaining proper posture is really important for many reasons but also to keep your core strong. I remind myself regularly to check my posture. Write a note and put it on your computer or set a reminder to check and adjust your posture regularly. That combined with weight loss and core-strengthening exercises will help.

Also, don't resign yourself to genetics. This is one of those things that you DO have control over.
  • erickirb
    Options
    HollyMGT wrote: »
    I know planks won't do anything about the fat. I just wondered if they'd effectively tighten the muscle and reduce the pouch.

The pouch would be fat, so no planks wont help with that. they can strengthen the muscles under it, that's about it
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    See the above comments on the paunch being fat, and this will be more likely to draw it in rather than planks:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/TransverseAbdominus/AbdominalVacuum.html
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    See the above comments on the paunch being fat, and this will be more likely to draw it in rather than planks:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/TransverseAbdominus/AbdominalVacuum.html

im gonna sit at my desk and do this throughout the day. got any others that might help with posture as well?
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    also, since on the topic of planks, would planks help at all with posture if done properly over time?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    core strength is good for long term mobility and balance...planks are a good start...yoga and pilates will also build the core muscles in a balanced manner
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Planks are an incredible exercise but they will not make you lose fat in your stomach.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    im gonna sit at my desk and do this throughout the day. got any others that might help with posture as well?

Nothing is as good as practicing good posture all day long. :+1:

What exactly is wrong with your posture?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't know about effective, but they make me shake like a leaf :) And when I do side planks I sure feel it the next day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. A 6-pack does you no good if there's fat hanging off of it. Eat clean and work the muscles at a lot of different angles.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. A 6-pack does you no good if there's fat hanging off of it. Eat clean and work the muscles at a lot of different angles.

no direct ab work is needed to get a six pack, though some core work could be beneficial for other reasons. And you do not have to eat clean to lose fat, just eat at a deficit and give it time.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Squats and push ups will do more for your abs than planks.......but like others have said and I will echo, this is assuming that your diet is in sync with your fat loss/muscle building goals.

Like erickirb said, spot reduction is a misnomer. Go ahead and do planks until you're blue in the face. Will you have strong abs.....sure you will, but if your diet isn't good, those strong abs will still be covered with a comfy, warm layer of fat.