How do you stay motivated?

Options
This is what I have problems with, I will eat right, drink water, and exercise for a month or so and then it all comes crashing down on me! I lose the motivation to exercise and eat healthy because I feel like I am not losing as much as I should be! I did all the right stuff the last time and It took me 3 months to lose 10 pounds! Some would say that is great, but I say that sucks! I have lost two pounds this week and this time I want to keep losing and just not stop until I get where I want to be but I know in a month or two, I will be right back to the UNMOTIVATED ZONE!!! Please help me, what do I do?????

Replies

• Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    I've lost 'only' 17 pounds and I started back in September, so that's about 2 a month, that's even less than you did, but I'm trying to keep myself motivated FIRST by the fact that I've actually lost weight, it's gone down, so yay! And then you have little things (big things actually) like a pair of jeans that suddenly fits, clothes getting too big, not being out of breath when you go up the stairs etc. And I'm doing this with my Mum, she's very supportive, and that also helps :) Just look out for every single positive thing and BAM, motivation is back :D Good luck to you :) x
  • joycehassler
    Options
    get a riend to become your buddy on the message board. My daughter and I do this and it keeps me motivated because I see every ounce she loses and I want to continue to do as well as her.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    well, if you already thinking that you're going to fail then you will! You shouldn't focus so much on the number on the scale, but maybe start recording your measurements. I would recommend weighing in only every 2 weeks or once a month or else you're going to go crazy. Weight changes on an hourly or daily basis. I would just recommend giving yourself treat days and switching up your exercise routine every couple days or weeks. I really wish you good luck! I was on MFP in April and lost 8 lbs in less than a month, but then I got stressed and just quit. Thankfully I didn't gain any of that 8lbs back, but I started back on this journey only a week ago. Even if you fall off the wagon you can ALWAYS climb right back on!
  • JadazV
    JadazV Posts: 26
    Options
    I haven't been on this program as long as you have but i've found that if you have friends and family on the program with you, you all keep each other motivated to make it. That's what we do. Good luck!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated on a day to day basis in kind of a silly way. I make a game out of my diary. It's a challenge to balance all the nutrients and if there's a red number on something like fat or carbs, it's a loss for the day. The next day is another chance to get it right.

In the long term, I've heard taking body measurements can help you see loss better than the scale. Sometimes you'll shrink without the number going down because you're building lean muscles while burning fat.

Just remember that if you keep at it, you will see results. It may not always be as fast as you like, but if you slip, you'll have to wait even longer for your results!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that
    1) I am not in a race or a contest, I am cultivating healthy habits and lifestyle changes, so slow healthy, weight loss based on healthy habits is good
    2) I am going down in pounds (or staying stable), not going up
    3) I am working toward being in healthy shape so I have energy for myself and my family
    4) I am going to be a good role model for my children and grandchildren
    5) When health issues hit, I am minimizing unhealthy habits as a contributor
    6) Again slow is not bad (however, giving up is NOT good)

I have lost 45 pounds in five years. I still have 15-30 pounds to go to be in a "normal" range. I take medicine where lots of people gain. I did body pump yesterday, I just got back from a 12 mile bike ride with a friend. Tomorrow I plan on a half mile swim with my husband. After a four month plateau in the beginning of 2011, I have recently lost seven pounds. I am concentrating on a new healthy habit, tracking my salt and don't really care if I plateau for another 4-6 months. If it continues longer than that, I will refocus on tweaking the healthy habits I am currently applying toward weight loss.

After fighting cancer, health and joy become more important than speedy health loss.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    More often than not we start losing weight, but we never finish, or at least we do not finish in the time that we expected to. When we do not lose ad fast as we would like we stop caring. We stop asking for help and support. We ditch another diet. We throw in the towel on our exercise efforts. Whatever the cause, it is not at all uncommon and we should never beat ourselves up about it. Everyone has given up at some point, maybe for a day, a week or for years but that doesn't mean you're destined for failure. Even if you've started and stopped 100 times before, this time doesn't have to end the same way. I have researched the top 50 most recommended things to do when you are losing steam, not pounds

It is too long to post here ;)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kirstinkrueger/view/50-ways-to-not-lose-steam-when-not-losing-pounds-112950
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've set some non scale goals to help me keep motivated as well.. even something as small as tracking how a workout went and the changes that come over time is very motivating for me. My current big non-scale goal is to run a half marathon (not walk) in September. It does not have to be something that big, but setting something that keeps me moving has really helped!

I also watch the clothes as much if not more than the scale. Pulling out my "thinner" clothes that have not seen the light of day for a while is a cause for celebration!

I've joined and quite MFP before and have been a weight watcher recurring member over the years, and have aways found that when my goals are tied just to my weight, that's when I fizzle!

GOOD LUCK!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    What helped me was to have a concrete goal beyond losing weight. I started the Couch to 5K program and registered for a 5K race. It kept me motivated to do the training 3x a week knowing I had a race to run in.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My motivation, and many people dont want to hear it, is God. He give me his Holy Spirit. Thats inside of me. Constantly helping me when I feel like I cant keep going. I use the fruit given by the Holy Spirit. The fruits he gives:

love-when I dont love myself
    joy,-when I'm not feeling it
    peace- if I'm stressin
    forbearance, kindness, goodness
    faithfulness-so I dont quit
    gentleness-when I want to be hard on myself
    and the BIG ONE - self-control.

As a christian these were always available to me but I never leaned on them. After 10 years of puttin on weight I finally decided to let God lead the way and this time I'm not shaken,maybe disappointed,but not shaken over a gain, bad day, or weekend. I know I'm in this for the long haul. And I thank hime for that.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A few things keep me motivated.

1) My goal is first and foremost to be healthy. The last straw for me was getting ill back in September. I realized then and there if I didn't get healthy I would spend the rest of my life catching everything coming down the pike. Why? Because my body was healthy enough to fight it off.

2) I look at the small victories like my feet and ankles no longer being swollen, no longer having lymphedemas on my legs and I realize it is because of the new lifestyle I have adopted.

3) Adopting a new lifestyle, not a diet because diet = temporary and I plan to eat like this for the rest of my life. I am focused on health, not the scale.

4) Remember slow and steady wins the race. it took me over 40years to get here so it's not going away overnight.

5) Acknowledging I feel better than I have felt in years due to my new lifestyle.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Take pictures of yourself every month. Visual progress will give you automatic motivation. It works wonders for me since my weight loss on the scale is slow. Measurements, my pants falling down, and pictures are my greatest motivators:bigsmile:
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Take pictures of yourself every month. Visual progress will give you automatic motivation. It works wonders for me since my weight loss on the scale is slow. Measurements, my pants falling down, and pictures are my greatest motivators:bigsmile:

That is a great idea and one I need to start doing. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and have dreaded taking a picture of myself but maybe you are right and it could be a great motivator to let me know how far I've come.
  • green328
    green328 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello, I'm a 36 years old chap from England with a history of weight gain & rapid loss.

Between Jan 2009 and October same year I came down from 308lbs (44 inch waist) to 182lbs (32 inch waist) through sheer hard exersie and diet. I've held at the 182lbs (plus or minus 2lb) since October (I would normally have gained back significantly in this time), and I can say the ONLY way I have done this is to find things that I enjoy, which provide me the exercise I need without forcing me to specifically exercise, in a gym for example - this has been the epiphany for me.
    I now cycle to work every day rather than driving, do martial arts, archery (not very high impact, but I'm walking around rather than vegitating infront of the TV on an evening) Kayaking and any other thing that springs to mind. The fact that I'm actually enjoying what I'm doing doesn't even allow thoughts to enter my head such as "I'm tired, fed up, I have to burn this many calories or how many reps left?"

One thing I've learned through talking with other people trying or successfully losing weight, probably 99% of people can force themselves to do what they should with regards to health in the short term - but keeping it going is another thing.

So my advise would be simple, find active hobbies that you enjoy, eat healthily (treating yourself occasionally) and you'll achieve what you want.

468691.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site since January 2010. During that time, I've only lost about 24 pounds. HOWEVER! I started this as a promise to myself: After all, if I break a promise to myself I cannot possibly sink any lower and who would really want to sink so low. I would wake up early every work-day morning and workout for at least 45 minutes: on days-off or weekends if we have to go somewhere, I'll wake up early & workout for 45 mins. My point was not necessarily to lose weight, but to stop gaining it and at least tone & firm up a bit. I really did not think I could get "skinny" nor did I want to be, I'm in my mid-30's, things aren't the same as they were in my 20's so I was at a stage of acceptance with who I was. What I didn't know, is that little Promise was really Potential in disguise.
    I found I really enjoyed my workouts in the morning, they got me up and moving and I felt better (after battling depression and weaning myself off meds, I found that the "natural high" from exercise was what my body, mind & spirit had been craving all along!)
    I now workout for almost 1 1/2 hours each morning, and workout at least 3 extra times per week when I get home from work. The reason for that is, we just switched to a new system and ALL the rules have changed: I've been stressed & working A LOT! My option was to either come home and eat junk and drink a couple glasses of wine while sitting on the couch with the Cats and then still have dinner with hubby and another glass or 2 of wine OR I come home, take 30-40 minutes and workout and then prep dinner: yes, I still usually have my glass of wine (red, it's good for you :wink: ) but I have 1 and that's it (except sometimes on weekends I might have 2 :tongue: ).
    My motivation is that I suddenly saw results late last year that I did not think were possible. I had been toning and firming and only lost about 20 pounds total & being told that I looked like I had lost about 40. While I was secretly hoping for the weight to "fall" off, I forgot that as I'm working out and building muscle I'm also losing fat; I was "balancing" so to speak. I realized I had gone from a size 13 almost 15 pant & L almost XL tops to a size 9 pant & M tops. Whatever I was doing was paying off, but it was part of my original promise. I'm not here to "lose" weight: I'm here to be healthy and what I do now I can keep up with for 5, 10, 20 years no problem: I didn't do a "diet" I did "4-Life". And slow and steady really does win the race!
    Earlier this year I got married - we just went to the court house and then we had a party planned for the following month when we could enjoy without the other stresses that go with wedding/receptions: I couldn't believe the change in myself and how I looked. My original motivation had just been kicked up a notch: I was not upset at ANY of the pics taken of me that day which was a first in my life! To make it even better, 6 weeks later we had our party & someone took a picture of me from behind as I was cutting the cake: 1 year ago I would have ripped that picture to shreds & burned the negative: Now, that is one of my favorite pics since it really shows my back & how toned I am getting.
    I am now wearing size 7 to 9 and S - M tops: If someone had of told me 2 years ago that I would be this size, I would have laughed and said "INCONCEIVABLE!". My motivation is 4-Life, to be healthy, to stay healthy, to love my life and everyone in it (OK - part is also to keep Hubby's eyes on <ME> at all times, too :wink: ).
    I am living, walking, breathing proof that ANYONE can do this, no matter what you condition or physical limitations (of which I have plenty of both due to car accidents but I no longer use that as an excuse, I add it to my strengths because I am conquering the damage and buffering it with health). However, YOU have to want to do this for YOURSELF first before any other reason comes into play. Don't diet, don't do this for Husband or Wife, don't do this for the Kids or Grandkids. This is one time it is OK to be selfish. Do it for YOU, and if that isn't enough you may not have the will to keep it going 4-Life.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    take a picture every week or 2 in the same pose in the same sort of outfit even and see the differences there....many of us cannot see that we are changing because it seems slow and since we see ourselves everyday it may not be as evident.

give it a shot.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For me, motivation comes in many different ways. I look in the mirror and start to like what I see, it becomes addicting. I want to finish Insanity so I can get my t-shirt. I want to look better for my lady, not because she cares what I look like, but because I like to do nice things for her. I want to see my kids graduate from high school, college, get married, etc. if and when I have kids. I don't want to end up like my dad. I want to have more confidence. I like to have a sense of accomplishment. I like to relieve stress.

After a while I just keep doing it because it's what I do.